Religious Controversy at Danville High School Event

Wireman

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason # 1,204,398 why I send my kids to a Catholic school. We had Baccalaureate on Tuesday evening and there were no surprises or controversy. It was just seniors and their parents at a nice, quiet celebration of mass.

We had a senior mass when I graduated, I guess that's the same thing? :idunno:

Either way, I agree. Absolutely no chance my kids will go to public schools. Not worth the headache that public schools are.

Sounds OK to me .. I thought I read something , maybe inaccurately from the blogger that said the speaker questioned Christianity . No need to pile on :)

That was the Professor from Centre who spoke as well. She heard that info 2nd hand.

Either way, I agree. Absolutely no chance my kids will go to public schools. Not worth the headache that public schools are.

My kids have had a great experience at a public school. It all depends on where your kids go.

Spent my k-12 at a Public school. All three of my kids, (1 graduated, 1 is graduating this year, and one is finishing his freshman year) attended a public school. 0 headaches. And everytime I hear someone from private schools trash, put down, or otherwise denigrate public schools, my decision to send my kids through the public school system gets reaffirmed. Some private schools are better, some aren't. But many that I've dealt with carry that sense of elitism that is shown in this statement. Just because you pay to go there doesn't make it better. And it's not anyone that attends private school...I've got lots of friends and family that do/did. But all schools have plusses and minuses. To say that public schools are across the board worse is myopic.

:no:

Edited by rjs4470

My kids have had a great experience at a public school. It all depends on where your kids go.

Correct. All schools have issues and "headaches." Lots of things at public schools that you can't get at all private schools including in some cases better teachers.

Spent my k-12 at a Public school. All three of my kids, (1 graduated, 1 is graduating this year, and one is finishing his freshman year) attended a public school. 0 headaches. And everytime I hear someone from private schools trash, put down, or otherwise denigrate public schools, my decision to send my kids through the public school system gets reaffirmed. Some private schools are better, some aren't. But many that I've dealt with carry that sense of elitism that is shown in this statement. Just because you pay to go there doesn't make it better. And it's not anyone that attends private school...I've got lots of friends and family that do/did. But all schools have plusses and minuses. To say that public schools are across the board worse is myopic.

:no:

You're reading WAY more into my post than what's actually there.

I didn't say anything about private schools being better. Some are, some aren't. It's more about the restrictions that are on public schools.

Kids getting in trouble for playing cops and robbers at recess, a kid getting suspended for having his pop-tart in the shape of a gun, etc. Stuff I have no willingness to deal with.

Whether you're at a public or private school, if you want to and your parents want you to, you'll succeed academically, there's no doubt in my mind.

I didn't say anything about private schools being better. Some are, some aren't. It's more about the restrictions that are on public schools.

Kids getting in trouble for playing cops and robbers at recess, a kid getting suspended for having his pop-tart in the shape of a gun, etc. Stuff I have no willingness to deal with.

Whether you're at a public or private school, if you want to and your parents want you to, you'll succeed academically, there's no doubt in my mind.

I agree with you on this. The handcuffs put on public schools in this PC world and the all or nothing approach would make me not want to have a kid go through a public school.

I just read a story online where a 5th grade got suspended for having a Nerf gun bullet in his pocket. He stuck a tooth pick in it so when it shot it would stick to the ground. The school determined this Nerf toy was a weapon.

Common sense has gone out the window in public schools when it comes to punishment.

I have nothing against them from an education stand point.

You are generalizing. Has this sort of thing happened? Yep. But I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening here locally or in any of the public school districts I'm familiar with in several parts of the country. You're picking out a couple unusual examples and applying them across the board to all public schools. And restrictions don't just apply to public schools either. I could make many arguments about the restrictions at private schools as well.

Maybe I did read to much into your post. But I get really tired of hearing about all the "problems" in public schools and how much better private schools are, especially from those who have never spent a minute in a public school(I don't know whether you have or not).

You are generalizing. Has this sort of thing happened? Yep. But I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening here locally or in any of the public school districts I'm familiar with in several parts of the country. You're picking out a couple unusual examples and applying them across the board to all public schools. And restrictions don't just apply to public schools either. I could make many arguments about the restrictions at private schools as well.

Maybe I did read to much into your post. But I get really tired of hearing about all the "problems" in public schools and how much better private schools are, especially from those who have never spent a minute in a public school(I don't know whether you have or not).

Are you even reading what I post? I never said private schools were better. Not once. Said I will be sending my kids to private schools because I don't want to deal with the headaches involved with (some, is that better?) public schools. That's a personal choice and opinion.

Are you even reading what I post? I never said private schools were better. Not once. Said I will be sending my kids to private schools because I don't want to deal with the headaches involved with (some, is that better?) public schools. That's a personal choice and opinion.

Actually, yes that is better. And saying that you'll send your kids to private school because it's a personal choice, or a better fit is something that no one could argue with. Private schools can offer things Publics can't and vice versa, and if one of those offerings is especially important to you, then the comparison isn't even close. Way better than saying there are "headaches" at public schools, which the way you stated it before, was too much of a blanket statement. Hey, if I lived in a school district where some of the silliness you mentioned was taking place, I'd have to strongly consider sending my kids to a non public school. But that silliness is the exception as opposed to the rule. And that silliness can happen just as easily in a private school.