2015-16 12th Region

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing that one of the supposed transfers to Pulaski Co. from Somerset may not be going to Pulaski after all. But, they won't be at Somerset or Southwestern either.

If one had a dollar for all the transfers to and from and between Pulaski, Somerset, and Southwestern over the years you could take a nice vacation!

I think it plays a part but I don't believe all AAU coaches are pushing kids to certain schools. Hoop Dreams has at least 6 kids that play for Mercer County now.

I know Hager & Dow have for years; Dunning has off & on for some time; Lanham did for a little bit, likewise with Carter Baughman. For purposes of this thread, it's relevant to note that, with the exception of Dow, all of those kids have been at Mercer all along.

I know Hager & Dow have for years; Dunning has off & on for some time; Lanham did for a little bit, likewise with Carter Baughman. For purposes of this thread, it's relevant to note that, with the exception of Dow, all of those kids have been at Mercer all along.

And now the exception of Dylan James as well.

Dylan's father put in applications all over the state. Whichever school district had a job opening and felt Mr. James was a good fit was going to get Dylan. With population numbers declining in Martin County (with the downsizing of the coal industry) this move was driven by the famly's desire for stability. Mercer County was fortunate as Mr. James interviewed and was offered a position. I would say lots of schools had an opportunity to get Dylan if they had positions avaiable.

Recruting and AAU do play a factor in where kids go, but this particular case would be the execption in my opinion. Great family that was looking for job stability and found it at Mercer. If a job were offered anywhere before this, that school district would have benefited on the hardwood as well.

I wish the James family and Coach Cook the best of luck this upcoming season. Its not always easy to leave everything you have ever known and be successful (especially when you were having success).

• 3 weeks later...
How does Coldiron's move to Wayne County affect the preseason rankings? I think it will be very interesting to see how a guy with his size and body meshes with Wayne County's frenetic pace and style of play.

I haven't seen Daniel since last season, but just basing him from that, I'd say he won't have too much of a problem adjusting to Coach Woods scheme. He ran the floor pretty well, and had decent hands at somerset. As far as the general lineup is concerned, Wayne will have some significant size. Coldiron, Nick Gillespie, and Jackson Baker are all at or better than 6'5. They may not play those 3 at the same time with Stearns and Blevins, but I'd have to guess that to be their starting lineup come winter. I kinda felt coming into this season that Wayne already held an advantage over Southwest at the #2 rank, just from experience alone. Now they may just have gotten a piece that put them over SW as it stands today. SW's backcourt is top-notch tho, so I'm probably wrong… :idunno: