Harrison Twins...

OlDog75

The one that really bothered me was last year or maybe the year before when Jeff Sheppard took UK players to an elementary school...then charged students for autographs (during a school day). That is just wrong IMO.

Sheppard also split have the proceeds from that. I was shocked that the school allowed that to happen, although they did take a lot of grief for doing it.

Sheppard had to cash in this year by having several UK players come to his fan shop in London after the Laurel Co. school system declined.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sheppard also split have the proceeds from that. I was shocked that the school allowed that to happen, although they did take a lot of grief for doing it.

Sheppard had to cash in this year by having several UK players come to his fan shop in London after the Laurel Co. school system declined.

If they are making money, it's a free country and I'm all for it. BUT, it's not fair to do that at a school where some kids almost certainly don't have $20.

I have a couple things in my office that have been autographed, mostly UK stuff. My clients enjoy discussing them and they are an icebreaker. The most interesting one I have is of Yvonne Craig. I was working in my backyard and my neighbor came over and asked if I wanted to meet Bat Girl. My neighbor worked for her husband and they were in from out of town. She gave me a signed photo, needless to say, she looks very different from her Bat Girl days.

I paid to get the Anthony Davis poster everyone went crazy about autographed, as well as a basketball.

Haven't ever paid for one before that and probably won't again.

I do like autographs. I think it's a neat thing to have in a den/sports/man room.

Agreed on all of that.

If nothing else, I'm sure you could turn a nice profit on the Davis autograph given the way he's blown up.

I have a Patrick Patterson and MKG autograph. I got each cheap and a picture of myself with Patterson while he's signing the ball. MKG's is an autographed pic of him cutting down the nets for #8 . I have a football autographed by most of the 2007 team from fan day as well, but those were free.

One day, things like those and a stuffed bobcat/wildcat that I have, and some memorabilia like the "Measure Up To Big Cuz" insert from the Herald Leader and small things like a print of the corner of Woodland and Euclid after the '96 title will be in my office/man cave.

The only autograph that I would want to add to that which I'd pay money for would be a DeMarcus Cousins signature on some UK memorabilia.

I think it's cool to get autographs, especially for the kids, but I'll be darned if I ever pay a $20 spot for a signature. And don't get me wrong, if there's a market for it, they have the right to make the money. It just won't be from me. I think what bothers me the most is when NBA players come back to Kentucky and charge for autograph stops.

I agree with all of what you've said, save the bolded. Why does it bother you when NBA players come back to Kentucky and charge for autograph stops?

To me, it's not like they owe it to fans to go do free signings, especially when lots of those would inevitably be sold online by the person who got it for nothing. One of the worst parts about having that degree of recognition would be that you couldn't go do normal things without people hounding you for pictures and autographs. I'm sure it gets pretty old to them, and for me, if you really want it bad enough, paying for it is a fair way to compensate them for the time/aggravation.

All that said, the only autograph I want for myself that I'd actually pay for would be something signed by Cousins. Davis would be cool because it's probably going to be worth so much, so I'd pay for his as well, but probably hold onto it and sell it to some collector or something if the profit were right.

Last autograph I remember getting was Artis Gilmore in about 75 at the UC Armory when the KY Colonels played there.

I'm all for any player that can command a fee for his autograph. I'm sure they've signed thousands of freebies.

I used to love watching big Artis and Louie Dampier and the KY Colonels. Loved that Red, white and Blue ball. Good ole days...

I would think that would be the last place to sign and charge for autograph memorabilia where the average household income for Wal-Mart shoppers is $41,847. That's 8% below the $45,245 average income for the shopping universe. Maybe they should have gone to Dillard, Macy's or some high-end sports shop.

This is going to sound bad but most high income people aren't waiting in line to spend $20 for one of Harrison's autographs.

Got Bootsy Collins autograph at Kentucky Speedway about 10 years ago. There weren't but a handful of people around him (he was leaving), so I got to chat for a few minutes.

You were probably the only person there who knew who he was.