Calipari's Players Earning & Projections For Current Players

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back a few years and Shabazz was everyone's must have, #1 in his class guy.

Today, there's a huge difference in Shabazz's contract and Nerlens' contract, especially considering such a weak draft class and that Noel was coming off of an injury. In Muhammad's 3rd year, he's still not going to be topping what Noel made in Year 1. There are a lot of 0's after those numbers, so you can do a lot of investing with those if you play it right.

If you only have a few years of earning potential (consider what the average NBA players' shelf life is), then it's even more pronounced.

That's the #KentuckyEffect , plain and simple.

No, that's the I'm a 7 footer who can block shots effect vs the I'm a dime a dozen 6'6" athlete with no jumper effect. You seriously think Noel is worth more potentially because of UK? What, Shabazz would be an all star if he went to UK? Seriously? Come on, Joker.

How many of Cal's pros weren't considered to be one and done when they got to UK only to have that opportunity after their first year?

These guys weren't and I'm sure there are more.

Bledsoe

Lyles

Booker

Goodwin

Young

Were any of these guys expected to be able to leave after one year coming into their freshman season?

Explain the Harrisons then.

There's no doubt that kids get more exposure under Coach Cal, Coach K, and Bill Self. And in my opinion that exposure helps with their early earning potential, whether it be where they are picked, shoe contracts, endorsements, and etc.

Explain Josh Harrelson & Andre Liggins and then I'll explain the Harrisons.

I might be wrong with this, but I use Patrick Patterson as an example. Didn't his stock rise quite a bit after a year under Calipari vs. after his two years under Billy G? He wanted to stay for a year with Coach Cal because he knew how much his game would improve and it did.

How many of Cal's pros weren't considered to be one and done when they got to UK only to have that opportunity after their first year?

Bledsoe

Lyles

Booker

Goodwin

Young

Were any of these guys expected to be able to leave after one year coming into their freshman season?

Don't know about the others, but I feel pretty confident that Goodwin and Young had the potential of going one and done from day one.

I'd say Bledsoe and Booker didn't.

Lyles probably did.

Bledsoe

Lyles

Booker

Goodwin

Young

I think Lyles and Young were 1 year guys no matter.

Bledsoe

Lyles

Booker

Goodwin

Young

I was expecting Bledsoe, Lyles, Goodwin and Young to be one and done. Booker not so much initially but by January I figured he was gone too.

There's no doubt that kids get more exposure under Coach Cal, Coach K, and Bill Self. And in my opinion that exposure helps with their early earning potential, whether it be where they are picked, shoe contracts, endorsements, and etc.

Explain Josh Harrelson & Andre Liggins and then I'll explain the Harrisons.

I might be wrong with this, but I use Patrick Patterson as an example. Didn't his stock rise quite a bit after a year under Calipari vs. after his two years under Billy G? He wanted to stay for a year with Coach Cal because he knew how much his game would improve and it did.

I gave you Liggins and Harrelson. Other than that everyone else I expected to go pro whether they were at UK or not.

Patterson's game improved because he finally developed a jumper. What does that have to do with Cal? Cal wasn't with him when he was shooting in the gym.

How did Cal all of a sudden figure out how to make pro players at UK and not at Memphis?

I am not sure it is about figuring out something, but I do think Cal is able to bring out the best in most; thus, improving their chances of being drafted or making an NBA team much sooner. Some coaches are able to tap in to untapped potential better than others.

I am not sure it is about figuring out something, but I do think Cal is able to bring out the best in most; thus, improving their chances of being drafted or making an NBA team much sooner. Some coaches are able to tap in to untapped potential better than others.

I think the UK brand name combined with his personality and recruiting ability brings in the best talent in the nation yearly. The man is a recruiting genius. Kids feel like failures if they are at UK more than a year.

I think the UK brand name combined with his personality and recruiting ability brings in the best talent in the nation yearly. The man is a recruiting genius. Kids feel like failures if they are at UK more than a year.

I agree there is something to that. Just like when you put on a jersey for a certain team, you feel as if you have a responsibility to deliver. We typically know who has the talent, and this brings the best out in them. He is the perfect catalyst for that.