Couple try to adopt, they are denied because....

All Tell

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another version of same story:

By SEAN WHALEY

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL CAPITAL BUREAU

CARSON CITY — Brian and Valerie Wilson asked the Assembly Judiciary Committee on Wednesday to approve a bill that would allow them to carry their loaded weapons and serve as foster parents.

In testimony to the committee in support of Assembly Bill 167, the couple said their attempts to get a variance from a state regulation prohibiting the carrying of loaded weapons with foster children was denied.

“I am really heartbroken that the Department of Child and Family Services gave us this denial letter,” Valerie Wilson said. “I really want a family.”

Wilson said the Las Vegas couple always planned to become foster parents and adopt but have been denied permission to do so because of the regulation, which he wants to change with the bill. Current rules require guns and ammunition to be stored separately in secure containers in homes with foster children.

The bill would allow Nevadans with concealed-weapons permits, and law enforcement officers, to carry loaded weapons on their person in a home or car and still be eligible to be foster parents. If not carried on their person, the weapons would be required to be kept in a secure safe, but they could remain loaded.

Assemblywoman Michele Fiore, R-Las Vegas, who sponsored the bill, said the bill has bipartisan support. State Sen. Kelvin Atkinson, D-Las Vegas, who has a conceal-carry permit, is looking at becoming a foster parent, she said.

“I don’t know if some of my peers have toured Child Haven or have been in Child Haven, but we have children in need of great foster care, and we have had people that are law-abiding citizens that have gotten their background checks, that have their CCWs, literally denied to foster a child because they have a concealed-weapons permit,” Fiore said.

Assemblywoman Olivia Diaz, D-North Las Vegas, said foster children are often traumatized. She asked if having them exposed to weapons would be appropriate.

Jill Marano, deputy administrator of the state Division of Child and Family Services, said the agency’s goal is to work with foster parents, but there is a concern about the ability of a child to gain access to a loaded weapon. She opposed the bill in its current form.

Marano said a computer search turned up 16 incidents over the past four months in which children were involved in the accidental discharge of a loaded weapon.

Michael Knight, assistant director of Clark County Family Services, also spoke in opposition, citing the facts presented by Marano.

The committee took no immediate action on the bill.

Just like you. You originally posted that a less qualified couple was given custody. Where is your proof? The only thing that you proved is the other couple didn't win.

Post 22, you may have missed it.

Keep trying AvergeJoe. You know clear well what he is saying. This family is being discriminated against because they hold a CCDW. Plain and simple. You can polish it anyway you want, it is what it is.

So here is the entire text of the article that you quoted. Where in there does it say that a lesser qualified couple was given custody? Please let me know. I don't see it. Isn't it possible that you just ASSUMED that the other couples weren't qualified?

A Nevada couple has been told that they can't adopt a 12-year-old child because they have legal concealed-carry permits.

Brian and Valerie Wilson asked the Assembly Judiciary Committee last week to approve a bill that would allow them to carry loaded weapons and serve as foster parents.

The couple’s attempts at adopting have been stopped by regulations requiring that guns and ammunition be stored in separate, secure containers in any home where foster children reside.

"My wife Valerie and I have been together since high school," Wilson told the committee. "We have always planned from early on that we would adopt later in life. We, in 2013, decided it was now time to go ahead and adopt and complete our family."

"There [are] a lot of older children in the system that need homes."

"I am really heartbroken that the Department of Child and Family Services gave us this denial letter,” Valerie Wilson said to the committee. "I really want a family."

A spokesperson for the department said the reason the Wilsons were denied was a concern about the ability of a foster child to gain access to a loaded weapon.

Tucker Carlson reacted this morning on "Fox and Friends Weekend."

"They're ideologues and they hate guns," he said. "The sad part is all the kids who are languishing in the foster care system, going from home to home. And all the creepy, unfit people who do get to adopt. And they're penalizing these people? It's pretty unbelievable."

Where in there does it say that they were more qualified that the couples that were give custody? Or are you making an ASSUMPTION? Because with what you are posting that is all you are doing.

So where did it say that they were more qualified? I figured you would bow out when you had nothing--that's just your style.

Your post 22 NEVER said that they were at the top of the list OR that less qualified applicants were chosen, did it?

Keep trying AvergeJoe. You know clear well what he is saying. This family is being discriminated against because they hold a CCDW. Plain and simple. You can polish it anyway you want, it is what it is.

Where in that article did it say a less qualified family was chosen?

Maybe this will help with the analogy that Ram seemed to be making.

#1 Point Guard

#2 Point Guard

#3 Point Guard

#1 is the Point Guard that you want, he's the best. But grades aren't up to snuff so you go to #2 . #2 is pretty good but he has a shady background so you go to #3 who while qualified isn't as qualified as the other two.

If this family was qualified to adopt and then passed over only because of this, then yes they were more qualified than the next family behind them that moved up into their slot to adopt. There were no doubt some families more qualified than the "Gun Family" and they were ahead of them on the list, just as the gun family was more qualified than whoever was behind them on the list.

I bet a judge (may have to be an appellate panel) would rule that any guidelines which prohibit adoptions to otherwisee qualified parents based solely on the fact that the parents have such permits is arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional. I don't see how any court could rule otherwise.

I bet a judge (may have to be an appellate panel) would rule that any guidelines which prohibit adoptions to otherwisee qualified parents based solely on the fact that the parents have such permits is arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional. I don't see how any court could rule otherwise.

Yeah, that whole pesky Second Amendment again.

So where did it say that they were more qualified? I figured you would bow out when you had nothing--that's just your style.

Sorry, had to cook dinner for my two adopted kids. Had my gun on the counter the whole time and nothing bad happened.

Nope, but adopting is not a right.

The government is not (or should not be) allowed to diminish one right by denying a service. This goes along with my argument against mandatory drug testing of Welfare recipients.

Of course with this administration - they like to bring a gun to a knife fight (their words) - they even bring their guns to a civil discussions. Holder failed to get gun control this is their come back.