Best chicken wings in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati

Blue Magic

I'm not really a fan of the name either. A restaurant's name is going to prevent me from eating there though. Things that actually matter like service, quality of food, environment will. It knocks all 3 out of the park IMO.

I agree with you that those three elements are REALLY important, but if the name rubs me the wrong way, how would I ever know?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone back to Copper Blue in Milford because they have chicken thumbs on their menu. The beautiful thing about restaurants are there are 1,000,000 of them around Cincinnati, so I don't need much of a reason to find a different one. Don't be corny, that is my rule.

What in the world are chicken thumbs?

I've always thought Knuk-N-Futz's wings are good, but I wouldn't say they're anything particularly special either. You can always count on them being good, though, and that's definitely saying something. That's honestly the same review I'd give for Buffalo Bob's and Quaker Steak's wings as well. And for the record, I'm with Crash on Knuk-N-Futz's name...right now, while I don't have kids, the name doesn't mean much one way or the other. Once there are kids in the picture, though, I don't think I'm going to be stopping in there any more.

I used to say that Skinny Legs in Bellevue had the best wings in town, but since they reopened as the Elusive Cow Cafe, they aren't as good. Softball City used to have some great wings as well, way back when.

When it comes to making sure I get crispy wings - which is almost always what I'm going for - my go-to is Barleycorns Doc-style wings with extra sauce. For those who may not know what "Doc-style" means, it's when they deep fry the wings, toss them in the sauce, and then put them back in to deep fry again. I always ask for the extra sauce to be able to pour onto my wings after the fact, though, because the second fry after the sauce is on the wings dumbs down the heat.

Dickmann's also has some of the best wings around, if you ask me. Always fried correctly, and their sauces are absolutely solid. A good friend of mine (and a Buffalo, NY native) says their sauce is right on the sauce at the old-school places around Buffalo who have been making wings from the get-go. Dickmann's honey-jalepeno wings are fantastic, too.

There's also a place over on Queen City Avenue on the west side of Cincy called Murray's Wings that has some really solid wings. It's been a little while since I've been there, but I remember the few times I was, the wings were big, they were fried perfectly, and their sauces were spot on. Not too terribly expensive either, if memory serves.

I guess I need to try Knockback Nats sometime. Maybe I'll try to hit them up over the weekend while we're up visiting following New Years.

It's a combination of the name and, well, what they are famous for.

Now I totally get not going there because of the atmosphere. I wouldn't take kids there either. Hell, I wouldn't go there myself unless I was with a large group that was set on it. I thought you were simply saying because of the name.

Now I totally get not going there because of the atmosphere. I thought you were simply saying because of the name.

And, quite frankly, that's why Dick's Sporting Goods has never been an issue. They honestly haven't even snickered once when we say we're going to Dick's. I have a feeling they wouldn't react the same at Dick's Last Resort.

Once they figured out Knuck 'n Futz, game on. We have driven past that place hundreds of times and they haven't even noticed it. If we go in, oh...they are noticing.