Thanks

Plato

I want to thank PP92 for trying to explain stuff that this white guy in his mid 40's can never really understand.

It is difficult to understand sometimes but a peek into another perspective from a reasonable person with good intentions is of great value.

I don't always agree but it always makes me think.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plato, your post is what I feel is a "win" on BGP. We all disagree from time to time over various issues. But, speaking for myself, if we can be open minded, even if not changinger our minds, we can at least see where another's perspective is born

Empathy isn't enabling...it's understanding. I can't speak for PP2, but I sure do thank you for this thread.

I want to thank PP92 for trying to explain stuff that this white guy in his mid 40's can never really understand.

It is difficult to understand sometimes but a peek into another perspective from a reasonable person with good intentions is of great value.

I don't always agree but it always makes me think.

You have no idea how much I appreciate being able to read a post like this. I'll be the first to admit that I can be snarky, a smart aleck and when I get frustrated....irrational. I do always have good intentions and all I am trying to do is show a perspective that is truthful and with good intentions. It's always good and humbling to know that people can disagree with you but still take your words to heart.

Thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate it. :thumb:

I grew up in a more than average racially integrated environment. But never caught onto the intense racial identification that PP92 has tried to explain until a diversity course years and years ago. It was eye opening. Us whites mostly just want the race issue to go away. But it will not just go away and race is major identity factor with non-whites. We need to be reminded that the post racial world is not here yet.

Keep reminding us PP92.

I think this is one of the answers. If a black person or persons whom you respect and trust has major problems with Ferguson or whatever it may be, then as a white person I think you have to say "If my friend who is a normal, law-abiding, hard-working, funny, sports-loving, self-deprecating, highly educated, family-loving citizen is upset as a black person about what is gpoing on, then maybe I should take a deeper look into the situation. I know "Joe Blow" and if he feels that something isn't right, then it probably isnt." I don't know what "isn't right" but my black friends and acquaintances have convinced me that the black folks feel that things aren't right. White folks need to try to unearth an understanding of what they are feeling. I don't think the black folks are making this up for the sake of making it up. They really feel it.

I'd like to add that never in a bazillion years when I first joined BGP years ago did I ever believe that I would be so enlightened on a daily basis.

I initially thought that I'd only be talking sports, and before I knew it, started taking a peek at the other forums, and this site now has indeed, without doubt, become my further education.

I'm forever learning something new in just about every topic imaginable. I've even added new words to my vocabulary. There are some highly intelligent people out here, and I don't know of a more fun place to keep feeding my brain.

Admittedly In my 40's, more and more, I started to feel myself going into a shell of sorts, and avoiding people unlike I used to when I was younger. This site has also played a huge factor in pulling me out of that reclusive hole that I was starting to crawl into.

It's amazing too to be amongst so many people of varying opinions that maturely express them, and in many ways help others see where they are coming from, when beforehand they might not have been able to.

Sure, not everyone changes their positions all the time, and no one really expects us to, but the simple fact that we manage it so well is amazing and worth tons of praise.

The real world tends not to operate so smoothly, so with everyone here, I am highly impressed, and you have all taught me wonderful lessons too, to have respect for those who I might not always agree with. I've had to look inward and realize that I haven't always been the "open minded" guy that I thought that I was.

If I had never stumbled upon BGP, I am completely convinced that my learning and personal growth would have stagnated.

He picked a great profile name as "theguru" when he started this site, and I just can't help but to wonder if he really had the foresight to know just how enriching BGP was to become, or if it was just a total coincidence?

I grew up in a more than average racially integrated environment. But never caught onto the intense racial identification that PP92 has tried to explain until a diversity course years and years ago. It was eye opening. Us whites mostly just want the race issue to go away. But it will not just go away and race is major identity factor with non-whites. We need to be reminded that the post racial world is not here yet.

Keep reminding us PP92.

Oh you know I will definitely keep reminding you. :D

I agree with Plato, although I don't agree with PP92 on the Ferguson subject and what it has become nationally, I do and always have respected his opinion. I am an old crotchety man sometimes and things I say come across wrong, but with that said I have never held anything personally against anyone I disagreed with and that has always included PP92 on this subject also.

He's a very intelligent (and sometimes misguided lol) man and I really enjoy reading his point of view on many subjects.

You're a good guy PP92, don't let the fact that I'm always right when we disagree affect you any lol

Yeah, I agree PP92 deserves a lot of thanks and praise for being really level headed in trying to get his feelings, views and points across to a lot of us. I admit, I don't often get what he's trying to convey, but I appreciated him trying. I know I frustrate you in these threads, PP92, but you aren't falling on deaf ears. Change and understanding doesn't always come easy or quickly, but you have gotten through to me more than you think. When I talk with friends about race these days, I find myself quoting you sometimes and that gets them thinking as well. You have made a difference with me so just know you have much love and respect from me, even when I don't agree.

I agree with Plato, although I don't agree with PP92 on the Ferguson subject and what it has become nationally, I do and always have respected his opinion. I am an old crotchety man sometimes and things I say come across wrong, but with that said I have never held anything personally against anyone I disagreed with and that has always included PP92 on this subject also.

He's a very intelligent (and sometimes misguided lol) man and I really enjoy reading his point of view on many subjects.

You're a good guy PP92, don't let the fact that I'm always right when we disagree affect you any lol

:lol2:

For the record I've never publicly stated my feelings on the Ferguson situation. I have stated my feelings about Obama being blamed for deteriorating race relations though. :thumb: