Black Actress Detained - WRONG: Joker; RIGHT: Mitch Rapp, halfback20, 00Rocket28

JokersWild24

Ok... so they got a call, do you see anything reported anywhere that justifies demanding to see an ID?

What does even seeing their ID even prove?

Based on reports now, even the ones you provide, they obviously didn't observe anything for themselves incriminating that was an arrestable offense. Sorry, but reasonable suspicion/probable cause most likely isn't going to be satisfied by getting a 911 call concerning indecent exposure and driving by the location and seeing two fully clothed people kissing.

A public display of affection between two people of different races isn't an arrestable offense. Whether or not the police saw it themselves and investigated or received a call about it won't change that fact. Obviously, the whole episode was troubling enough for both of them to go public with it.

Again, the whole point I've been "yammering about" with the whole call aspect has been I can't understand why the LAPD would just sit on that information instead of getting out ahead of it and mentioning a 911 call before it really went viral. They had an opportunity to respond to the media and were saying they had no "reports of the incident" when initially questioned. Now that it's become a big deal, they are saying that there was a 911 call. Even if it's completely true, do you understand why that looks suspicious given the fact that this was an actress and that the whole thing had the potential to be a big deal in the media?

Friday and Saturday you are saying "no reports of an incident because there was no arrest", early Sunday you are saying "911 call led to investigation". That's not very consistent. If nothing else, the officers who found out what was going on probably should have passed it on to someone else so they could have went into damage control mode. Getting blindsided by it in the press probably wasn't the best course of action. If nothing else, in hindsight, given the way the story has went, don't you think that this was probably something one of the officers should have thought MIGHT be worth mentioning to a supervisor once they got off shift?

These are people you trust to carry guns, investigate murders, look into public corruption, yet they can't even handle a call about alleged indecent exposure without it becoming this?

Did the police deny that there was a call? Do you think that this incident should have been escalated into a top priority because one of the people involved is a minor celebrity? It is obvious that there was a phone call based on the statements of the people involved. It is obvious without the LAPD issuing a press release on the matter.

As for the handcuffs, I have no idea why the woman was handcuffed because all I have read is her account of the incident. You may have noticed that the woman has hired an attorney, so no doubt this incident will be milked for more free publicity (minus the lawyer's fee). Most likely, the LAPD will end up publicly apologizing to avoid diverting resources away from more important matters.

The important point here is that this is not a story worthy of national attention.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the police deny that there was a call? Do you think that this incident should have been escalated into a top priority because one of the people involved is a minor celebrity? It is obvious that there was a phone call based on the statements of the people involved. It is obvious without the LAPD issuing a press release on the matter.

As for the handcuffs, I have no idea why the woman was handcuffed because all I have read is her account of the incident. You may have noticed that the woman has hired an attorney, so no doubt this incident will be milked for more free publicity (minus the lawyer's fee). Most likely, the LAPD will end up publicly apologizing to avoid diverting resources away from more important matters.

The important point here is that this is not a story worthy of national attention.

I think they probably could have formulated a better response than "we have no information because no arrest was made" then circled back a few days later with "we were responding to a 911 call" after it hit the news. That's been my point with that whole thing. If nothing else, they kind of hung their officers out to dry with that one because it just raises more questions than it answers.

I'm not sure what national attention has to do with anything. No, I don't think it should be a top priority, but I don't think it should be ignored either.

Hiring an attorney doesn't mean that she wants to milk it for free publicity. Maybe she doesn't want other people to have to go through and experience what she did at their place of work when they've just left a business meeting and feels that hiring an attorney to file a complaint and protect her civil rights is the only way to go about it.

Lots of assumptions that we've both made that will probably never be able to be verified one way or another, it's been good debate and I have seriously considered a lot of what you've said (some of which has changed my viewpoints on various issues here). I guess we'll see how it plays out.

The Los Angeles Police Department said Sunday that officers detained Daniele Watts and her companion last week after a complaint that two people were "involved in indecent exposure" in a silver Mercedes. Watts was detained until police determined no crime was committed.