500 Day Countdown To Our Doom

I guess we can end any discussion about climate change here because there is surely nobody that would have any financial interest in disputing science that says that pumping carbon into the atmosphere has any negative effects on the earth's climate because they fear dealing with it might lead to legislation that would aim to limit such a thing. I can't think of anyone with a monetary stake in the matter other than scientists who would still have jobs as scientists or researchers whether said legislation was passed or not.
It's not the skeptics of the "settled science" of anthropogenic global warming who want debate to end - that would be the proponents of the theory.

As for who benefits from the acceptance of the theory as fact, that would also be the proponents. They depend on governments pumping money into continued research. The climate models built by these Chicken Little public-financed scientists have repeatedly failed to accurately predict future climate changes.

It's fine to speculate on the financial motives of the critics of global warming hoaxters, but don't lose sight of the fact that the theory would never have gained traction without governments financing the research. I am always skeptical of any government-financed research.

I remember how the federal government pushed the food pyramid down our throats (pun intended) 50 years ago at the behest of the agribusiness lobbyists. I remember how they told us that ethanol was a cheap, clean alternative to gasoline. The list of government deceptions in its quest for political power is a long one.

Those who ignore history....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess we can end any discussion about climate change here because there is surely nobody that would have any financial interest in disputing science that says that pumping carbon into the atmosphere has any negative effects on the earth's climate because they fear dealing with it might lead to legislation that would aim to limit such a thing. I can't think of anyone with a monetary stake in the matter other than scientists who would still have jobs as scientists or researchers whether said legislation was passed or not.

This is not serious, right?

Carbon taxers who would make billions by taxing 'carbon credits' have no monetary stake?

The green companies such as Solyndra and the other companies that got millions of dollars in loans have no monetary stake? The entire green industry has a monetary stake in the billions of dollars.

No one is saying 'end the discussion' but lets be truthful about the facts. The fact of an apparent correlation between CO2 and temperature over millions of years is apparent. The 'fact' that CO2 and specifically anthropogenic CO2 is a 'driver' to the temperatures is completely unproven.

The typical charts showing the CO2 temp relationship usually cut off in the 1990s. Why? Because CO2 has spiked in the last decade. It is higher than it averages over time. It is much higher than 'average'. Yet the temperatures and effects are not following the predicted pattern.

Here is an interesting video.

"97 percent"

This is often quoted number of scientist who say man causes global warming or climate change.

NASA:

Climate Change: Consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

WaPo:

97 percent of scientific studies agree on manmade global warming, so what now?

As it was originally published:

A new study confirms there is strong scientific consensus that human activities are causing the planet to warm. 97 percent of scientific papers agree, the study finds.

An update they added:

A new study confirms there is strong scientific consensus that human activities are causing the planet to warm. 97 percent of scientific papers (that take a stance on the issue) agree, the study finds.

Emphasis is their own.

Clarification they added:

I’ve added a parenthetical clarification in the first paragraph below noting that the 97 percent figure refers to studies that took a position on whether global warming was manmade or not (66 percent of the studies surveyed did not express a position).)

Forbes commentary on the misleading statistic:

Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring '97-Percent Consensus' Claims - Forbes

Cook and colleagues misleadingly induce people to believe 97 percent of publishing scientists believe in a global warming crisis when that is simply not the case.

These biased, misleading, and totally irrelevant “surveys” form the best “evidence” global warming alarmists can muster in the global warming debate. And this truly shows how embarrassingly feeble their alarmist theory really is.

Wait a minute!!! Shouldn't I have started this thread? :taz:
It's a little late to think of that now. :lol2:

You could make up for lost time and post a map showing what the U.S. would look like after a 6 meter rise of the oceans. Better yet, a map showing a 300 meter rise might grab Kentuckians' attention,.

You mean I have ocean front property? Yes!!!!
Don't get too carried away. I have two words for you. Eminent domain. The loss of all that expensive property will hit property tax revenues hard. Somebody will have to make sacrifices.

Don't get too carried away. I have two words for you. Eminent domain. The loss of all that expensive property will hit property tax revenues hard. Somebody will have to make sacrifices.

That's OK. There is very little eminent domain exercised on the gulf beaches. The reverse tends to be true. All those fleeing Miami will want to live in a similar climate. Yes? And since most of those people come from New York. I will get more transplants coming down from underwater Manhattan who would normally go to Miami.

This is turning out to be a win-win for me. :D

The link below is to an excellent article (with maps) showing how a 10-foot rise in ocean levels will affect major U.S. cities. If you plan to visit Boston or South Florida, do so soon.

What Does the U.S. Look Like after 3 Meters of Sea Level Rise? - Scientific American

A 3 meter rise would get them back closer to the levels before the Little Ice Age.

History falsifies climate alarmist sea level claims | Watts Up With That?

Basically lowering sea levels would indicate a new ice age coming. If that occurs - lets hope is a 'little ice age' again.

A 3 meter rise would get them back closer to the levels before the Little Ice Age.

History falsifies climate alarmist sea level claims | Watts Up With That?

Basically lowering sea levels would indicate a new ice age coming. If that occurs - lets hope is a 'little ice age' again.

It's been awhile since I browsed through the Watts Up with That site, but the photos of the temperature monitoring sites was a real eye opener. Stations that were installed in open fields are now located near air conditioner exhausts, pavement, and other hot air sources.

It's been awhile since I browsed through the Watts Up with That site, but the photos of the temperature monitoring sites was a real eye opener. Stations that were installed in open fields are now located near air conditioner exhausts, pavement, and other hot air sources.

And it makes a big difference. I have checked the temperatures of difference surfaces trying to find the optimum 'solar heating' surface and the difference between ordinary concrete and slate walking stones was 95 degs to 110 deg. I was surprised by the difference.

And it makes a big difference. I have checked the temperatures of difference surfaces trying to find the optimum 'solar heating' surface and the difference between ordinary concrete and slate walking stones was 95 degs to 110 deg. I was surprised by the difference.
What surprised me was how many of those stations are still in use. There is no way to accurately apply a correction to those readings. Anybody who watches weather forecasts knows that temperatures in cities are almost always a little higher than in rural areas. Concrete and asphalt stores heat pretty efficiently.