Head Coaches' Teaching Loads (or Not)

Clyde

I'm big fan of a para-professional coaching. I've never felt like a coach had to be "in the building" but I get why it is a requirement. It makes sense for the coach to be "in the building" but I would never be bothered if my local school didn't hire a teacher or require a head coach to be in the building.

I like the coach in the building. Or if they're not having a ton of their assistants in the building. Just helps IMO.

I have a 45 minute prep period every other day. I have 45 minute classes, 4 minutes between classes and a 25 minute lunch. I teach Advanced Physics, Chemistry I, Astronomy, Conceptual Physics, Advanced Placement Chemistry, another Chemistry I class and then a 30 minute Math ACT prep class. Once school ends, I am usually working with small groups of kids for another hour or so. My planning and grading time comes after that.

Good grief where do you teach?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed and in my experiences this is probably normal for the Basketball and football coaches. Other coaches, not so much. Many of them put in loads of time, also.

The AD, however need two - three periods at the end of the day depending on the number of sports. They have jobs and responsibilities in most schools that require administrative time. Let's say you are an AD of a school that has baseball, softball, tennis boys and girls, track boys and girls in the Spring. It downpours sometime between noon - 2:30PM (very likely to happen 4-5 times). It then becomes a nightmare to contact other schools to get things cancelled/rescheduled. Some are probably at home and some have road games which you now have to cancel buses, etc. You get the drift. You need TIME to do these things. Many of these coaches are teaching and cannot stop instruction to do this.

That is just one small part of the administrative duties. Checking grades, responding to everyone, administration, parents, athletes, KHSAA, other AD's, can become very time consuming and that is just a few.

Now, if they are a head coach of one of these, just compound it. So coaches, not as much. Effective and responsible AD's need afternoons to do their duties and several preps.

Absolutely agree with this. The AD needs at least one regular period of planning and one for AD duties. I would have no problem with a "teach in the morning" and "AD in the afternoon" schedule.

From a thread about the Boyle County coaches:

Right now Coach Adams has 3 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and a 3 Prep Periods. Next year he'll have 1 Drivers Ed class, 2 PE classes, 2 Wellness classes and 2 Team Sports classes, no prep periods. Chuck Smith will have 2 Drivers Ed classes, a PE class and 3 or 4 prep periods.

3 or 4 prep periods? We pay teachers to have 3 or 4 prep periods? 3 classes and 4 prep periods?

That just doesn't even sound right. Same salary as the math teacher with a full load of classes?

Actually I think Chuck Smith is being paid a lot more than the math teacher, just saying.

I love sports and certainly think sports can have a role in the development of a young person; however, if PUBLIC schools have enough money to allow a coach to have multiple planning periods or create a faux position for a coach then that school either has too much money on their hands or they are misappropriating money from other areas and kids that utilize those services are being cheated.

With that said the only thing that might be worse than a district funding a coach not to teach is funding an individual, who only has interest in coaching, to teach. :D

Either through ignorance, apathy or just plainly disregarding the facts, I would say most teaches don't know or don't believe how extremely hard most head coaches of the major high school sports work at their respective coaching positions, and just how much time and effort they have to put in. This on top of the usual teaching duties, as most coaches also have a normal teaching load as well, and have to grade homework, prep for tests, etc. As a matter of fact, for most coaches, their day just STARTS after the 3:00 bell rings. I have no problem with a coach having a lighter teaching load, particularly during their sports respective season.

I don't want to be insulting to coaches but how many head coaches are as smart as TB&G and teach classes of this caliber?

NOBODY is as smart as TB&G, just ask her. :D

I think Dale Mueller had an engineering degree from Cornell. My daughter had him for AP Physics. She hated football but loved him as a teacher.

Either through ignorance, apathy or just plainly disregarding the facts, I would say most teaches don't know or don't believe how extremely hard most head coaches of the major high school sports work at their respective coaching positions, and just how much time and effort they have to put in. This on top of the usual teaching duties, as most coaches also have a normal teaching load as well, and have to grade homework, prep for tests, etc. As a matter of fact, for most coaches, their day just STARTS after the 3:00 bell rings. I have no problem with a coach having a lighter teaching load, particularly during their sports respective season.

It is probably apathy, because I am not sure why teachers should care what coaches do after 3. My guess is the coaches probably don't give much consideration to what their non-coaching peers do after 3 either. :D From 8-3 teachers who don't coach and teachers who do coach are all paid to do the same job - namely teach.

If they are a teacher, how could their day just start when the 3:00 PM bell rings?

I don't have a problem with the lighter teaching load, either, but not multiple "prep" periods. Monitoring credit recovery, in school suspension, etc., would be things that required no planning, so that would lighten their teaching load and still allow them to fulfill needed academic duties.

If they are a teacher, how could their day just start when the 3:00 PM bell rings?

I don't have a problem with the lighter teaching load, either, but not multiple "prep" periods. Monitoring credit recovery, in school suspension, etc., would be things that required no planning, so that would lighten their teaching load and still allow them to fulfill needed academic duties.

Surely you know where I am going with that. I say that because as a coach, particularly during their respective season, they are essentially working two jobs. And some would say their second job (coaching) is the tougher of the two, especially at certain schools. When the bell rings many coaches are working the next 5-7 hours at that portion of their job. That's why I say when the 3:00 bell rings, their day has just started.

AND that doesn't include all the work over the weekends that goes into coaching professions either.