Head Coaches' Teaching Loads (or Not)

Clyde

Sam Harp shared a list at a clinic one year which broke down by each month what a head coach needed to get done. This is similar to what he gave us, but the list gets longer every year.

JANUARY-FEBRUARY

- Organize & plan recruit night for incoming frosh.

- Prep opponent folders for next season.

- Turn in information for web page updates.

- Prep video to be distributed in February.(January)

- Continue after school weight program & perfection workouts.

- Monitor student-athlete behavior, grades. Take appropriate action.

- Begin study of previous season game films, study opponent.

- Self-analysis offensively- use Hudl to break down tendencies, examine successes and failures- and causes.

- Attend basketball games, including those at Boys Club.

- Make adjustments and additions to playbook and drill powerpoint.

- Professional development as coaches (personally and staff)- film study, cutups, books, clinics, visits to college programs planned for spring.

- Organize and plan spring practice: schedules, personnel, issue equipment, ready practice field; prepare and conduct staff meetings.

- Set grid and scrimmage dates- plan preseason game.

- Coordinate activities with spring coaches and other school-related functions.

- Turn in summer and fall dates to administration to avoid conflicts- i.e. bus training, professional development.

- Field Sign Sales & Renewals.

- Plan, organize, implement skills camps for grades 6,7, & 8.

- Enter schedule and events on facebook.

- Player # and locker setup.

- Current senior video should be done, but finish up what is not.

- Video for upcoming fall seniors, potential D1, distributed immediately after signing day.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wanted to know if a full teaching load resulted in a prep period. I am just letting you know my situation.

Right. And my thing is that I don't have the data to support my belief that a majority of coaches aren't teaching science or math. Sure there will be some anomalies and some head coaches who are super smart and certified to teach the classes I find super difficult like science and math. My belief is that a majority of coaches teach P.E, Health, Drivers Ed and Social Studies. The classes that kids need the most work and help in aren't normally taught by head coaches so I'm not going to be bothered by what a coach is teaching or how many prep periods a coach may have. I'm going to trust that my school district hired the appropriate teacher(like TB&G) to get them through the hardest classes just like they hired the proper coaches to teach P.E. and get us some wins.

I don't know of any coaches who have 2 or even three planning periods during the day, however I know MANY from literally Pikeville to Paducah who have periods of a little more flexibility throughout the day. Let's say, somebody who is certified in both Social Studies and Physical Education

ie:

1st Period- US History

2nd Period -US History

3rd Period- AP World Civ

4th Period- Lunchroom Duty

5th Period- Team Sports

6th Period- PLAN

or....

1st-4th- US History

5th- ISS

6th-Plan

Chiefsmoke said it all as he always seems to do.

I like to talk too much.:laugh:

In some situations, coaches are monitoring students doing online classes or covering in school suspension. These are necessary positions and allow the coach some additional freedom to do the jobs associated with coaching. They won't have to plan lessons or grade schoolwork for those types of positions.

Exactly. You said it.

What's funny, is if it's John Doe Football Coach who also happens to coach Chemistry gets ISS, people gripe. If it's Betty Jo English teacher, who just teaches (which is perfectly fine and understandable in this day and age more than any), then all is right with the world.

Sam Harp shared a list at a clinic one year which broke down by each month what a head coach needed to get done. This is similar to what he gave us, but the list gets longer every year.

JANUARY-FEBRUARY

- Self-analysis offensively- use Hudl to break down tendencies, examine successes and failures- and causes.

- Professional development as coaches (personally and staff)- film study, cutups, books, clinics, visits to college programs planned for spring.

- Organize and plan spring practice: schedules, personnel, issue equipment, ready practice field; prepare and conduct staff meetings.

- Turn in summer and fall dates to administration to avoid conflicts- i.e. bus training, professional development.

- Video for upcoming fall seniors, potential D1, distributed immediately after signing day.

Holy crap. :lol2:

Right. And my thing is that I don't have the data to support my belief that a majority of coaches aren't teaching science or math. Sure there will be some anomalies and some head coaches who are super smart and certified to teach the classes I find super difficult like science and math. My belief is that a majority of coaches teach P.E, Health, Drivers Ed and Social Studies. The classes that kids need the most work and help in aren't normally taught by head coaches so I'm not going to be bothered by what a coach is teaching or how many prep periods a coach may have. I'm going to trust that my school district hired the appropriate teacher(like TB&G) to get them through the hardest classes just like they hired the proper coaches to teach P.E. and get us some wins.

It is my belief that no classes are more important than health and PE. It doesn't matter what job someone will have in the future, they need to truly know how to be healthy and how to keep themselves physically fit. Just like any other subject, some teachers do an excellent job of this and other just put in their time.

I like to talk too much.:laugh:

lol

Nah. That's not it. You just say it a lot better than most; myself included.

I heard a guy you and I both know that, it's amazing...when he was hired as the head football coach at his former school, he was given the talk about how football was the "2nd job or least important", and teaching was his "main job". Funny thing was, he never was called in for sit down meetings with his principal and super over the "main job", but he sure as heck did over the "least important".

In some situations, coaches are monitoring students doing online classes or covering in school suspension. These are necessary positions and allow the coach some additional freedom to do the jobs associated with coaching. They won't have to plan lessons or grade schoolwork for those types of positions.

Exactly. You said it.

What's funny, is if it's John Doe Football Coach who also happens to coach Chemistry gets ISS, people gripe. If it's Betty Jo English teacher, who just teaches (which is perfectly fine and understandable in this day and age more than any), then all is right with the world.

I think that these are really the best situations for a coach. Personally, I wouldn't support a schedule with excessive "prep" periods for a coach, but having coaches monitor these situations and have the flexibility to, at the same time, work on the other things they need to as coaches seems like a good compromise.

It is my belief that no classes are more important than health and PE. It doesn't matter what job someone will have in the future, they need to truly know how to be healthy and how to keep themselves physically fit. Just like any other subject, some teachers do an excellent job of this and other just put in their time.

Agreed, agreed agreed.

I was fortunate enough to be a three sport athlete all through high school. Well, let me correct that..I played one relatively well, and the other two I just played b/c I loved them. Not sure if it's possible to play Guard, Tackle and End in Basketball and Baseball, but I did. :laugh:

...anyway, like all of us, there are classes I could have gone without through high school and those who stay with me to this day (to each their own, so these will vary). But, my school had In School Weightlifting for Student-Athletes (which, band gets band during the day...chorus gets chorus during the day, etc; so I've NEVER had problems with that) which also doubled up at a Nutrition class. I loved every bit of it. It helped me then, and helps me now (it would help me much more if I had any will power when it comes to certain foods, but thats for another topic lol).

I think that these are really the best situations for a coach. Personally, I wouldn't support a schedule with excessive "prep" periods for a coach, but having coaches monitor these situations and have the flexibility to, at the same time, work on the other things they need to as coaches seems like a good compromise.

Agreed.

I don't disagree at all.

I wish that colleges would have let me take more P.E. and Health classes to boost my resume for college instead of Algebra II, Trig, Physics, Chemistry, etc. I'd have enjoyed my junior and senior years sooooo much more. :lol2:

And the information I got says coaches are allowed 2 prep periods. Is that correct?

That I don't know. If they are the AD, as well as an HC then they might.

...or they might have an ISS and/or Lunchroom period just thrown into the "plan" category.

We have a 7 period day.

3 periods are Biology

1 period of anatomy/physiology

1 period of credit recovery and students taking on line college classes

1 period for AD work

1 period planning.

I am also a Head Coach. I stay busy the entire day.

JANUARY-FEBRUARY

Sounds about right. :) He wasn't and isn't one of the best this state has or ever will see for nothing. :thumb:

The bolded is really important IMO. Most head football coaches I know, especially the ones who just have are 1st class when it comes to building relationships across the board are also one of, if not the #1 boys and girls basketball fans outside of the parents.

....attending every home and away game that they can possibly get to.

Agreed and in my experiences this is probably normal for the Basketball and football coaches. Other coaches, not so much. Many of them put in loads of time, also.

The AD, however need two - three periods at the end of the day depending on the number of sports. They have jobs and responsibilities in most schools that require administrative time. Let's say you are an AD of a school that has baseball, softball, tennis boys and girls, track boys and girls in the Spring. It downpours sometime between noon - 2:30PM (very likely to happen 4-5 times). It then becomes a nightmare to contact other schools to get things cancelled/rescheduled. Some are probably at home and some have road games which you now have to cancel buses, etc. You get the drift. You need TIME to do these things. Many of these coaches are teaching and cannot stop instruction to do this.

That is just one small part of the administrative duties. Checking grades, responding to everyone, administration, parents, athletes, KHSAA, other AD's, can become very time consuming and that is just a few.

Now, if they are a head coach of one of these, just compound it. So coaches, not as much. Effective and responsible AD's need afternoons to do their duties and several preps.