Head Coaches' Teaching Loads (or Not)

Clyde

The districts who give extra planning periods or pay a coach a full teaching salary but the coach doesn't really have a full teaching load often come under fire for paying coaches for services they aren't providing when compared to their teaching counterparts.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The districts who give extra planning periods or pay a coach a full teaching salary but the coach doesn't really have a full teaching load often come under fire for paying coaches for services they aren't providing when compared to their teaching counterparts.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm not sure. It just seems that some are promoting more planning time than teaching time.

In most circumstances, a coach's base salary is a teaching salary. To me, that means that their first priority is to teach.

I don't think it is as much promoting it. I think it is more like not caring if the coaches have a full load or not. Whatever each school chooses to do is on that school. I don't have a problem with it one way or another and I'll always feel that no school will keep a mediocre coach who is an amazing teacher.

Does a full teaching load have a prep period?

I have a 45 minute prep period every other day. I have 45 minute classes, 4 minutes between classes and a 25 minute lunch. I teach Advanced Physics, Chemistry I, Astronomy, Conceptual Physics, Advanced Placement Chemistry, another Chemistry I class and then a 30 minute Math ACT prep class. Once school ends, I am usually working with small groups of kids for another hour or so. My planning and grading time comes after that.

I have a 45 minute prep period every other day. I have 45 minute classes, 4 minutes between classes and a 25 minute lunch. I teach Advanced Physics, Chemistry I, Astronomy, Conceptual Physics, Advanced Placement Chemistry, another Chemistry I class and then a 30 minute Math ACT prep class. Once school ends, I am usually working with small groups of kids for another hour or so. My planning and grading time comes after that.

I don't want to be insulting to coaches but how many head coaches are as smart as TB&G and teach classes of this caliber?

I don't know of any coaches who have 2 or even three planning periods during the day, however I know MANY from literally Pikeville to Paducah who have periods of a little more flexibility throughout the day. Let's say, somebody who is certified in both Social Studies and Physical Education

ie:

1st Period- US History

2nd Period -US History

3rd Period- AP World Civ

4th Period- Lunchroom Duty

5th Period- Team Sports

6th Period- PLAN

or....

1st-4th- US History

5th- ISS

6th-Plan

Chiefsmoke said it all as he always seems to do.