Is there a bias against NKY teams down state?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I traveled around the country, when asked where I was from, I'd always respond with "the Kentucky side of Cincinnati". At which point about 75% of people would say, "I didn't know Cincinnati was near the KY border." :ohbrother:

That's because anybody in California thinks the Midwest is Fresno.

Every year there are 15 regions saying the same thing,,no bias, just alot of folks sounding off because they didn*t win,,not sure the crazies have actually won over NKY. I read and article in the Lex herald years after the fact where Hurt actually stated it was an incorrect call..

The crazies have only won over CCH supporters, but it will be fun to watch how many of them there are at Rupp. That should be fun to watch alone.

I have met many people through BGP that follow CCH strictly because of the student section.

I would believe they are soley following the crazies and what latest antics, I don't think they are following CCH basketball or football or baseball because of the crazies.

There is a difference.

From outside NKY?

Yup, our beloved BGP'er gold sunrise is one that comes to mind immediately.

I would believe they are soley following the crazies and what latest antics, I don't think they are following CCH basketball or football or baseball because of the crazies.

There is a difference.

I've had several people tell me that they're pulling for Covington Catholic so they can see the student section at Rupp again.

The Sweet Sixteen is next week. Has there been a bias against NKY teams in the past or my friends and I just paranoid? Everyone seems to pull for the mountain teams (I get that to an extent). Would love to hear feedback from Bgp'ers in NKY and across the state. It has always seemed from announcers to fans that NKY was just an extension on Cincinnati.

Will the Colonel Crazies win over the rest of the state? It is hard to find someone south of Walton that will acknowledge Charles Hurt actually did go through basket!

I grew up in EKY and attending the Sweet 16 yearly. No bias against the NKY teams on my part, and never knew of any growing up.

I think there is definitely somewhat of a bias against some of the Louisville schools, both city and private, albeit for different reasons. To a lesser extent, I would think that the same is true for some of the Lexington schools.

If the NKY schools had more than 2 state titles to their name, then yes, I think there'd be more of a bias against them, but that just isn't the case.

I will also say that I think it would be fair for anyone to state that they think some of the smaller EKY schools have an advantage as far as the neutral observer getting behind them once they keep a game close, especially if it's with a "big" school.

Example:

Paintsville upset Jeffersontown in the opener in 2008, you didn't see too many people who didn't have an allegiance applauding J-town late. You did, however, see many people scanning their programs to look for the last time the 6th and 7th Region both lost in the opening round in the same tournament. Part of that is the romanticism with the format of the tournament's "David vs. Goliath" theme, but I think it's undeniable that there are people who'll hold memories of tournaments like the '95 Breckenridge County, '96 Paintsville, or '10 Shelby Valley more dear than those of '06 Jeffersontown, '02 Lexington Catholic or '11 Trinity.

Ironically enough, I leave out Lafayette's win over Male in 2001 because I think of it as a game where people saw "the lesser of two evils" so to speak. I say this because it is a perfect illustration of the hierarchy of the average Sweet 16 fan's rooting interests.

I think that, if anything, Covington Catholic will be a crowd favorite for a few reasons, which are (in no particular order):

• People love their student section and the atmosphere they bring to the games
    (If you don't believe me, just look at posts on here, or take someone like my Mom, who cares more about where we go to dinner that night or what she needs from the mall than who wins the game, but still asks "did Covington Catholic go... they are the ones with the kids who do all the cheers... right???"... Seriously, in Sweet 16 lore, the Cov Cath students are right up there with the Central dance team as non-player participants who have a Q-score that would be higher than most of the teams who were already eliminated.)

• Covington Catholic's squad doesn't have a very 'urban' feel if we're talking about the crowd's perceptions

• 9th Region schools aren't typically known as the Wild, Wild West of transfers

I think this would probably only intensify as they played against many of the teams that you'd probably be expecting them to compete against later on in the tournament, save Knott County Central or Wayne County. If they meet one of those, then I'd expect people to go for the small county school against the private.

An Exception To Disprove The "Rule":

If you'd like another example of a "crowd favorite" NKY team, look no further than the Lorenzen and Smith teams at Highlands. As a kid, I loved seeing them play, and though I was young, I think it's fair to say that the majority of the fans wanted to see them do well. Now, having 2 UK athletes on the team probably helped that quite a bit, but I think it's fair to say that, if any NKY bias existed, fans certainly put it aside when they came to town.

Taking It A Step Further:

Are Chris Lofton's Mason County teams considered NKY? I know they won the 10th, which has some NKY teams, but that at the same time, they are on the periphery of what a quorum might agree to as "Northern Kentucky".

Not intended to offended or provoke at all, just an honest question, honest answer.

If possible, I'm going to make a flow chart that shows the average neutral observer's rooting interest in the Sweet 16 and post it on BGP. I think there'd be both a lot of humor and truth in doing that.

I say there is a bias against any team from the Golden Triangle but that it is not so pronounced against the 11th Region because the tournament is played in Lexington.

I would think that people are usually against the "Lexington area" schools, especially with Scott County added to the mix. For the past decade or so, you'll struggle to see a school besides Lexington Catholic or Scott County making the Sweet 16, and neither of those aren't really teams that I thought of as the crowd being overly supportive of.

I've been going 15 years, and one of the bigger "crowd favorites" I can remember is Fort Thomas Highlands when they had Lorenzen and Smith. Now, there are probably a few reasons for that (mentioned in the novel I wrote above).

I think that if Covington Catholic makes a nice run this year, you'll see the crowd get behind them unless they were to meet up with Knott County Central or Wayne County.

Not to me, no. "NKY" to me includes Boone, Kenton & Campbell Counties and, to a lesser extent, Grant & Gallatin.

Gotcha. That was something I had always kind of wondered because I'd consider Mason County a "NKY" team, but it's more relative. I definitely don't consider them the same as the schools in the area of the Cincinnati core like say a Ryle, Boone County, Campbell County, Covington Catholic, or Holmes, but they aren't really in any other grouping either so they're kind of there by default.

Gotcha. That was something I had always kind of wondered because I'd consider Mason County a "NKY" team, but it's more relative. I definitely don't consider them the same as the schools in the area of the Cincinnati core like say a Ryle, Boone County, Campbell County, Covington Catholic, or Holmes, but they aren't really in any other grouping either so they're kind of there by default.

Is not this amazing,,we are debating over this and no can clearly define NKY?