Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is there a bias against NKY teams down state?

Featured Replies

The Sweet Sixteen is next week. Has there been a bias against NKY teams in the past or my friends and I just paranoid? Everyone seems to pull for the mountain teams (I get that to an extent). Would love to hear feedback from Bgp'ers in NKY and across the state. It has always seemed from announcers to fans that NKY was just an extension on Cincinnati.

 

Will the Colonel Crazies win over the rest of the state? It is hard to find someone south of Walton that will acknowledge Charles Hurt actually did go through basket!

  • Replies 114
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe most of the state would prefer their team to win, will cheer against their rival no matter what and, as a last resort, hope that a small school Cinderella wins it all.

I have always said that NKY and Louisville teams get zero help and sometimes downright crazy officiating. For whatever reason. They are big metro places that do not get any love. Seems most fans and others always want someone with a "county" in their name to win.

The Sweet Sixteen is next week. Has there been a bias against NKY teams in the past or my friends and I just paranoid? Everyone seems to pull for the mountain teams (I get that to an extent). Would love to hear feedback from Bgp'ers in NKY and across the state. It has always seemed from announcers to fans that NKY was just an extension on Cincinnati.

Will the Colonel Crazies win over the rest of the state? It is hard to find someone south of Walton that will acknowledge Charles Hurt actually did go through basket!

 

Not feeling the love today Tark? I live south of Walton and was there for that not-so-magical moment that took the game away from Doug! Those of us south of Walton kind of feel the same way about NKY.....especially when it comes to sports reporters!

I can remember other broadcasters smilingly refer to "the evil triangle" while at the state tournament. While nobody spelled it out, I presumed it to be Louisville, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, and Lexington. Teams that play in bigger metropolitan-type areas get more media coverage for obvious reasons. More people = more media.

 

I think "evil triangle" could also have been translated, "Teams we can't beat."

 

I agree with Bandit, most people seemed to cheer for their own team...and the underdog...in that order.

"Down state" is a fantastic expression. Reminds me of one you hear in Louisville a lot: "out in the state".

Not true at all....does seem like the mountain schools bring the larger fan base....

"Down state" is a fantastic expression. Reminds me of one you hear in Louisville a lot: "out in the state".

 

That one drives me crazy! My company does a lot of business in Louisville and I hear it all the time.

That one drives me crazy! My company does a lot of business in Louisville and I hear it all the time.

 

I used to date a girl who grew up in Eastern Kentucky and lived in Clark County. She HATED it when I referred to anything not Louisville as "out in the state", so naturally, I did it all the time. Our relationship didn't make it.

 

Along those same lines, I don't know if there's a bias against NKY specifically, if only because I don't give much credence to anything outside the Gene Snyder Freeway, which would include NKY... and all the rest of ya.

The Rupp Sweet 16 neutral fan tends to favor the underdog. Teams from the 6th, 7th, and 11th regions, and, to an extent, the 9th region rep, are rarely underdogs.

The Sweet Sixteen is next week. Has there been a bias against NKY teams in the past or my friends and I just paranoid? Everyone seems to pull for the mountain teams (I get that to an extent). Would love to hear feedback from Bgp'ers in NKY and across the state. It has always seemed from announcers to fans that NKY was just an extension on Cincinnati.

 

Will the Colonel Crazies win over the rest of the state? It is hard to find someone south of Walton that will acknowledge Charles Hurt actually did go through basket!

 

Every year there are 15 regions saying the same thing,,no bias, just alot of folks sounding off because they didn*t win,,not sure the crazies have actually won over NKY. I read and article in the Lex herald years after the fact where Hurt actually stated it was an incorrect call..

I say yes. Of course, I feel there's a bias against NKY from the rest of the state in general, not just basketball or sports.

Their own team and then underdogs.

 

the golden triangle gets little love from casual fans. Especially Louisville teams.

"Down state" is a fantastic expression. Reminds me of one you hear in Louisville a lot: "out in the state".

 

I always preferred State At Large.

I'm guessing that when some folks see the term "down state", they think that NKY feels like they're not a part of the state.

 

No evidence to back it up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.