Fruit / Nut Trees

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the extension office only help with true 'working' farms? Mine is hunting only.

Have you looked into enrolling your farm in some of the available programs? I had mine in a forest stewardship program as well as a Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (WHIP). I got some financial assistance once I put so much in the property. Put 3 ponds for wildlife on it.

Have you looked into enrolling your farm in some of the available programs? I had mine in a forest stewardship program as well as a Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (WHIP). I got some financial assistance once I put so much in the property. Put 3 ponds for wildlife on it.

Thanks, never really tried them, I'm a city boy! Maybe it's time to have them walk the farm and give me some good advice?

If you get money from them, do you have to allow others to use it? Heard a rumor if you have your pond stocked, it becomes open to the public?

If you get money from them, do you have to allow others to use it? Heard a rumor if you have your pond stocked, it becomes open to the public?

Nope. And the ponds aren't really big enough to stock. They are wildlife only. Seriously, you'd be amazed at the difference in your property when they are put in. I got a check for half. Of course I paid up front. And no on the letting others use it. This wasn't a fishing deal at all. I have no idea on those type ponds and funding available. I know that my neighbor had assistance with his stock pond and he had cattle. The state did stock his and no he didn't have to let the public fish it.

You should really look into building a large pond and stocking it with crappie and bass. I've got two boys that will watch it for you through the week.

You should really look into building a large pond and stocking it with crappie and bass. I've got two boys that will watch it for you through the week.

You'll need a minimum of 2 acres of water if you want to be able to maintain a healthy environment for your fish with crappie in the lake. Crappie will take over anything smaller.

You'll need a minimum of 2 acres of water if you want to be able to maintain a healthy environment for your fish with crappie in the lake. Crappie will take over anything smaller.

Parents have a 1 acre pond (if that) and its has bass,crappie,bluegill,catfish and this has not happened. Pond is at least 30 years old.

Does the extension office only help with true 'working' farms? Mine is hunting only.

KY has a good program for wildlife management. They will come out and walk your farm and give you written recommendations on what to do with your land in terms of food plots, thinning, etc… also have some funds available to help.

Stay away from the Ginkgo trees....We have a Fruit shedding beast located on our property that dates back 150 years. We use to have 2.....Then one lost it's life one weekend while the City Building was closed. Sorry people, it needed to go......Has anybody ever smelled a ripe Ginkgo Nut(Fruit) in the middle of October? I think you would rather sniff your cats litter box. They are very cool looking right before they shed their leaves each year. The only Pros to a Ginkgo Tree...IMO!

I have an apricot, aprium (a cross between and apricot and plum), a plum, and Pluot (another plum apricot cross). You will definitely want to spray. Usually right before the blooms start to drop and once after the fruit begins to form. Otherwise, you will have worms. The biggest problem besides pests is the unpredictable late frosts.

Stay away from the Ginkgo trees....We have a Fruit shedding beast located on our property that dates back 150 years. We use to have 2.....Then one lost it's life one weekend while the City Building was closed. Sorry people, it needed to go......Has anybody ever smelled a ripe Ginkgo Nut(Fruit) in the middle of October? I think you would rather sniff your cats litter box. They are very cool looking right before they shed their leaves each year. The only Pros to a Ginkgo Tree...IMO!

I did some work in a building that had ginkgos lining the streets around it. The building manager used to say (about the ginkgos): "Beware of the fruit of the dog :poop: trees."

• 2 years later...

We planted a row of American hazelnuts at the farm property a couple of Springs ago after I started this thread. They're actually more of a shrub than a tree...almost like a honeysuckle in appearance (although they don't proliferate anything like honeysuckle, thank goodness). Anyway, they were about 3 feet high when we planted them, and they're around 6 feet tall now. I was at the property over the weekend, and it's looking like they're going to have a mast this year. Pretty excited to see how that goes.

We're also planning on planting some fruit trees (Suncrisp apple and American crabapple) next year.

We planted a row of American hazelnuts at the farm property a couple of Springs ago after I started this thread. They're actually more of a shrub than a tree...almost like a honeysuckle in appearance (although they don't proliferate anything like honeysuckle, thank goodness). Anyway, they were about 3 feet high when we planted them, and they're around 6 feet tall now. I was at the property over the weekend, and it's looking like they're going to have a mast this year. Pretty excited to see how that goes.

We're also planning on planting some fruit trees (Suncrisp apple and American crabapple) next year.

Some apple trees need different pollinators then themselves. IE you have to have two different types of apples trees for them to pollinate.