Fruit / Nut Trees

Anyone have any experience growing these? One of my brothers and I were talking about planting some cortland, winesap, honeycrisp and gala apple trees, American crabapple, and some hazelnut trees. I know deer protection is going to be a serious part of getting the trees to produce sucessfully.

Anyone else had any luck growing your own fruit trees?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best advice I can give you is, read up on spraying your trees. If you want good apples you need to spray the appropriate sprays at the appropriate times. First spraying should be soon. Try and learn what kind of pests and disease you may have, use only what you need. Spraying can get costly. Good Luck

Anyone have any experience growing these? One of my brothers and I were talking about planting some cortland, winesap, honeycrisp and gala apple trees, American crabapple, and some hazelnut trees. I know deer protection is going to be a serious part of getting the trees to produce sucessfully.

Anyone else had any luck growing your own fruit trees?

I planted scads of fruit and nut trees on our farm for wildlife. Mostly crabapple and sawtooth oak. The NWTF sells some very nice tree protectors to prevent deer browse and they also act like mini greenhouses and the growth is pretty outstanding.

Get with your local Extension office and discuss it with them. They can give good advice for locally what does well and things you need.

Does the extension office only help with true 'working' farms? Mine is hunting only.