Grantland: DeMarcus Cousins Article

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If cousins played for Louisville, he'd be the most hated player in the rivalry's history. Fact.

Proud hater of Cousins. Will never deny it.

I am never a "hater" of any teams players even a rival team. Love Russ Smith and hope he does well as I do all U of L players. As you know Preston Knowles will always have a special place in my heart, he has been mis-understood, just like Cousins. When you know their background and what some of them have had to endure, myself, I am thrilled for their success. Doesn't matter what team they have played for.

I'm not trying to say you don't have (good) reasons for hating him either, just that I wondered what the actual reasons were.

Specifically his actions on the court, nothing to do with off the court. He's a beast and a heckuva ball player, but he's a punk on the court. There is no denying that. When he gave Jared Swopshire the People's Elbow and tried to act like he didn't do anything, that was pretty much the end of him in my book. Then his antics carried over into the NBA. He's just a punk basketball player. His off the court contributions will never change that.

As you know Preston Knowles will always have a special place in my heart, he has been mis-understood, just like Cousins. When you know their background and what some of them have had to endure, myself, I am thrilled for their success. Doesn't matter what team they have played for.

Preston Knowles never played the way Demarcus Cousins did/does. His "background" is a poor excuse for being a poor sport, IMO.

Specifically his actions on the court, nothing to do with off the court. He's a beast and a heckuva ball player, but he's a punk on the court. There is no denying that. When he gave Jared Swopshire the People's Elbow and tried to act like he didn't do anything, that was pretty much the end of him in my book. Then his antics carried over into the NBA. He's just a punk basketball player. His off the court contributions will never change that.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

I think a lot of the things Cousins does as far as the elbows and things like that (and not saying this is a Swopshire thing, just more of a general one), are things that come in retaliation.

I'm sure he knows plenty of dirty tricks because other people have to use them on him if they want to try and slow or stop him. I really feel like a lot of the punk stuff you see on the court is him dishing out what he has to take.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

I think a lot of the things Cousins does as far as the elbows and things like that (and not saying this is a Swopshire thing, just more of a general one), are things that come in retaliation.

I'm sure he knows plenty of dirty tricks because other people have to use them on him if they want to try and slow or stop him. I really feel like a lot of the punk stuff you see on the court is him dishing out what he has to take.

If it's in retaliation, he should work on being more subtle. He's a big buy, and that didn't happen over night. He should be used to people being physical with him, especially since that's how he plays anyway.

If it's in retaliation, he should work on being more subtle. He's a big buy, and that didn't happen over night. He should be used to people being physical with him, especially since that's how he plays anyway.
Exactly, but I just think the guy is mentally off. And no, that does not excuse any of his on-court antics. If the guy had his head on straight he would be the best Center in the league. Maybe by default, but still....

If anything I feel sorry for the guy. People use the "he's got a big heart" or "he's just misunderstood" lines with Cousins all the time for two reasons. 1) It is true that he has a big heart; 2) To mask his apparent obvious mental instability. People are kidding themselves when they say otherwise and ignoring the obvious. It was obvious from watching him for 1 game that the guy has larger problems than retaliatory elbows. His upbringing is just an added poison.

I said when he declared Coach Cal was probably relieved. I was on needles for fear of what he might do at UK, so I can't imagine what Cal was thinking all game.

I love Cousins. He's an emotional player. I have no beef with that.

As for the Swopshire incident, it cannot be forgotten that Swopshire's knee caught Cousins' head first. I'm not saying Swopshire intentionally kneed him in the head but I'm thinking that 99% of people I know would react the same way if they caught a knee to the head when scrambling on the floor for a loose ball and in the position those two were in when fighting for the ball.

UL fans have never been more dramatic over an incident. Oops....Kevin Ware....forgot about all that melodrama. :no::rolleyes:

Other than the overblown Swopshire incident what else has Cousins' done to earn this reputation other than being emotional?

I don't think he's mentally off or unstable. I think he's just emotional. That's two different things to me. Has he been arrested? Beat up women or kids? Drug smuggler? Thrown up gang signs? What has he done?