Eli Wright - Apollo (2016)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Apollo is in and they are still going to be a good team. They won't be the first nor the last to loose a player scheduled to attend the KOB. My point is AAU teams are the worst thing to happen to high school basketball. The HS game may not exist, as it was 10 years ago, in the next 10 years…or sooner.

I'll be the first to admit I have some huge problems with AAU basketball but I don't think it is the worst thing to happen to high school basketball.

Good question, but I suspect they have need based financial aid much like the Trinity and St X private schools in KY provide. Many private schools that have high price tags end up with kids who cannot afford to pay the tuition that still attend. Ironically these kids which end up with the financial aid packages all seem to excel in sports and enhance the private schools competitiveness in their chosen sport.

I do not disagree, but the same could be said for so many kids who have ended up at private schools which come with a hefty tag. That tag at IMG is really high though for sure.

You suspect correctly. Every major prep school offers scholarships.

The KOB invites good teams, great programs with great coaches…as I said they are still in the 2015 KOB unless they request to be out.

Evidently some people don't understand how the "AAU system" really is for the Blue Chip players.

Two words, AAU influence!

As one of Eli's AAU coaches, I can tell you that we had nothing to do with him going to prep school.

You're speaking from ignorance because you're mad that one of the marquee players in your event is no longer attending and you had plans to make money off of the promotion of his name.

As one of Eli's AAU coaches, I can tell you that we had nothing to do with him going to prep school.

You're speaking from ignorance because you're mad that one of the marquee players in your event is no longer attending and you had plans to make money off of the promotion of his name.

The King of the Bluegrass will make money regardless of whether or not Eli Wright is there. The KOB will be just fine. Just like it has been for several years.

Thanks WKY…that's just the answer I expected from his AAU coach. I bet his AAU coach doesn't live in Owensboro or have ties to Apollo. If he did he would encourage him to stay and lead his team to Rupp Arena and a change to wear a ring…then be Mr. Basketball.

I'm not his AAU coach. I'm not from Owensboro. I've never met Eli Wright. If Eli Wright was my son I would encourage him to look closely at every opportunity he has in front of him and make a decision that he feels is the best decision for himself. Just because YOU want him to stay at Apollo, play in the KOB, go to Rupp and win Mr. Basketball doesn't make his decision wrong at all. You sound as selfish as you claim his AAU coaches are.

Now I think I'll grab some :popcorn: and wait for an answer from @HoopDreamsCoachQ

Question...is moving to prep schools really going to get these kids more exposure? What else will it help?

No archaic state regulations on instruction, typically a higher level of coaching, a year away from home to help the transition to college, playing against a higher level of competition in games and practice. That's just the start of the list...

As an Apollo graduate (a long, long time ago), Eli's decision makes a lot of sense to me. For whatever reason, things didn't seem to be coming together at Apollo, either last year or heading into this year. He seems to be on the cusp of being recruited by the very best D1 schools, and I have little doubt that getting to that highest level is more likely to occur if he is at IMG rather than Apollo High School. I hate that I won't get to see him play this season and Apollo likely will not be as good without him, but the decision makes a lot of sense.

Thanks WKY…that's just the answer I expected from his AAU coach. I bet his AAU coach doesn't live in Owensboro or have ties to Apollo. If he did he would encourage him to stay and lead his team to Rupp Arena and a change to wear a ring…then be Mr. Basketball.

I am from Owensboro (born and raised). I do not have ties to Apollo or any area school other than the young men I have known that have played there in recent years (Eli, Ben Moss, Trace Young, Caleb Coomes, Marshall Griffith, Stewart Currie, Aric Holman, Justin Miller and Jacoby Harris) and 2 assistant coaches at Daviess County.

It is not my place to tell any kid what to do unless they ask my advice. If Eli thinks that his best option is to leave Owensboro and go to IMG then that is what I will support. Just like I supported Aric to Mississippi State, Justin to KWC, etc.

If you had scheduled Perry County Central to play in the KOB and then Braxton went to Hargrave, would you lay the blame at the feet of his AAU coaches? If you had gotten a commitment from Harry Giles' coach to play the KOB would you blame the coaches at CP3 for his decision to go to Oak Hill last week?

It is easy to try and make AAU coaches the villains. The KOB will soldier on as it always has. Just without Eli Wright. You will still make plenty of money. Just one less name to promote on your website and on sites like this.