Eli Wright - Apollo (2016)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance UofL or UK gets involved?

I know UK's recruiting level is out of this world right now but I think Eli and Quentin Goodin are definitely worthy of a long look.

I've read that Pitino has watched him play a few times, and Robic for Uk has been to see him as well. I don't think Cal himself has watched him yet. He is getting some interest from both schools, but I guess we will have to wait to see if that interest is enough to translate into a scholarship.

I can say there are a TON of schools after Wright thus far. I know he made a trip out to Oklahoma St for a football game a few weeks back and also attended the UL/Clemson game at Clemson. Indiana is HARD after him as is Purdue. The first call Tom Crean made when recruiting opened was to Eli. I think Louisville is somewhat involved but time will tell if they become more interested. From what ive been told he would love to see some interest from UK but thus far, there just hasnt been much if any.

This kid is a player. Ive been around Owensboro area basketball for a long time and hes as good as ive seen since Chapman. A lot of people were very critical of his outside shooting last spring but from what i have been told he has really worked on that part of his game and appeared to have improved it greatly over the summer. If he can knock down outside shots at a high percentage then i dont know how youre going to stop him. We talked to coach Barker after Apollo won the WKU summer league tournament and he said he has never seen a kid at his age be able to get to the hole the way he does, draw contact and still finish at the rim. If you get a chance to see him this year you should.

• 8 months later...

There really is no question that he's the best player in KY's class of 2016, or any class for that matter. Frankly, it's not even close when it comes to ceilings. He is a COMPLETE offensive player and is that special level of elite athlete that you just don't seee that often in KY.

Even more impressive are his attitude and how coachable he is. He truly is the ideal package as a a basketball player.

There really is no question that he's the best player in KY's class of 2016, or any class for that matter. Frankly, it's not even close when it comes to ceilings. He is a COMPLETE offensive player and is that special level of elite athlete that you just don't seee that often in KY.

Even more impressive are his attitude and how coachable he is. He truly is the ideal package as a a basketball player.

I'm a big fan of Eli and think he is a great player and deserves any and all recognition that comes his way but you are seriously discrediting Quentin Goodin with the bolded comment.

When they were matched up against one another at the NUR Showcase, it wasn't close as to who the better player was (Goodin)....and that was the common theme among multiple scouts from multiple recruiting outlets who were there.

I won't argue as to who the better player is as I REALLY like how both play. Assuming Eli is still at Apollo come December, we will get another chance to settle the debate as Apollo is scheduled to play Taylor Co in the Legacy Nissan Classic at North Laurel.

My intention wasn't directed at or meant to discredit Goodin or any other player. It was to give credit where I feel credit is due. Eli is a special talent AND his upside is significant.

Regarding camps, I put more stock in watching a kid perform in a team setting and playing against high level talent over time.

I respect your opinion but have seen enough to feel strongly about mine. And only time will tell as we see how they progress in their college careers.

It seems that most scouting agencies would disagree with that assessment as well because Gooden is a 4 star recruit and Wright is only a 3 star recruit. I have seen both play and both will be great at the next level

Regarding the 3 vs 4 star rating, Goodin has been on the stage much longer. He's been "highly ranked" since he was a freshman. Wright really only became a known commodity in the second half of last year's AAU season, then missed the spring live periods this year (due to injury). For those reasons, you just can't fully rely on those ratings. This past weekend, the CHAIR of the High School Naismith Trophy committee had just watched Eli play. He tweeted, "Definitely a Naismith All-American Candidate." Hard to be that if you are just a 3 star player.

His 3 point shooting, mid-range jumper and ability to slice through the lane are all strengths. He also handles the ball plenty well to play the 2 in college. While he can get better in all areas, he truly doesn't have a weakness (offensively).