Best football in the state= Kenton County Public

NKY Bandit

winning % is all we have if the teams don't play head to head. We use winning % all the time to determine who is better. We use records in the BCS to determine who plays in the championship game, discounting personal opinions in polls.

Using just winning percentage to judge a football team is virtually worthless. If that is how we judge teams, 4-0 1A Bethlehem is better than Trinity.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt that any of Scott's opponents consider themselves to be sub par competition. Scott has beaten the teams they've faced every week thus far. Doesn't matter who they were playing.

Sub par, for Pete's sake, Aiken only showed up with 15 kids, what would you call that.....loaded?

Sub par, for Pete's sake, Aiken only showed up with 15 kids, what would you call that.....loaded?

Not true. They had 20 something kids and about 7 of them got hurt in the game. I agree, Aiken should not have been on Scott's schedule but I wonder if everyone was crying the same way about Aiken when they were on NCC's schedule?

Exactly my point. I would guess that you would agree that NCC and Beechwood are quality programs and can, and do, compete with schools with much larger school enrollment numbers. They compete with larger schools because of their participation numbers and the quality of their program, not because of school enrollment.

I think NCC and BW are quality programs and they compete with the teams they play not because of enrollment size but because those teams are pretty close to the competition of their own team and can help them prepare for district play. Just as you said, the quality of the program is most probably the main consideration on who they schedule.

I'm assuming these numbers do not include Freshmen.

Assuming that, Scott has 84 kids on their Soph thru Sr roster? So someone remind me again why in the world Scott can't field a Freshman team playing in the Freshman league vs a team in the Froshmore league? That seems totally absurd.

Those are varsity numbers turned into maxpreps. The Freshman team, or lack of one always puzzled me. I don't know if it has to do with no one wanting to coach them or what. They did have a freshman team several years ago, don't know why they don't this year.

I went to maxpreps and counted the players for Scott they had 64 players who were soph's thru sr's and the rest were freshman. Which I guess because they don't have a frehsman team they all play on varsity. They also had several players listed twice which was pretty screwed up.

Those are varsity numbers turned into maxpreps. The Freshman team, or lack of one always puzzled me. I don't know if it has to do with no one wanting to coach them or what. They did have a freshman team several years ago, don't know why they don't this year.

I went to maxpreps and counted the players for Scott they had 64 players who were soph's thru sr's and the rest were freshman. Which I guess because they don't have a frehsman team they all play on varsity. They also had several players listed twice which was pretty screwed up.

Once again, they have 14 freshman. You CANNOT play a straight freshman schedule with 14 kids. They had a few more last year, but still less than 20. They moved to the Froshmore schedule last year as most of the junior (this years seniors) were playing significant varsity minutes. With the lack of freshman AND sophomores, it made sense to make this move as they would have been really shorthanded on both a JV and Freshman level. Since last year a few new soph's and Juniors have moved into district or decided to play football which have helped the overall numbers. Next year, they may be able to play a freshman schedule as Woodland has over 30 8th graders on the middle school team.

Seems to me after reading this thread that some assume that winning games against weak competition is the key to success. Please remind me again, when was the last time Dixie, Simon Kenton or Scott won a Football State Championship Title?

That would be never. But I also don't think anyone said they were going to win a State title this year. I think the point of the thread is that this is probably one of the best, if not the best season the Kenton County Schools have collectively had. Scott's schedule has been beaten to death for the past 2 weeks. And it is what it is. And it's the type of schedule they've always played (and may even be a little tougher). And they've had maybe 1 winning season since the school has been open. So how can this season not be viewed as a success? One more win, and it's the best season ever for this program. The people at Scott aren't thinking state title....let's have a winning season, maybe win a playoff game or two, and then let's do that for a few years in a row, and then we can worry about beefing up the schedule and thinking state titles. People have laughed at them for years, and now that things are turning around a little, some are taking the attitude to beat them up and tell them, "sorry guys, you're not really good".

That would be never. But I also don't think anyone said they were going to win a State title this year. I think the point of the thread is that this is probably one of the best, if not the best season the Kenton County Schools have collectively had. Scott's schedule has been beaten to death for the past 2 weeks. And it is what it is. And it's the type of schedule they've always played (and may even be a little tougher). And they've had maybe 1 winning season since the school has been open. So how can this season not be viewed as a success? One more win, and it's the best season ever for this program. The people at Scott aren't thinking state title....let's have a winning season, maybe win a playoff game or two, and then let's do that for a few years in a row, and then we can worry about beefing up the schedule and thinking state titles. People have laughed at them for years, and now that things are turning around a little, some are taking the attitude to beat them up and tell them, "sorry guys, you're not really good".

You're guilty of making too much sense.

The answer to the thread name is no. If it said, 'Best Football Record in the state= Kenton County Public', the answer would probably be yes. All three have good teams regardless of who they played. Scott will be really tested for the first time this week, but they haven't been squeaking out wins. They have been blowing teams out. That is what good football teams do. To say Kenton County Public has the best football in the state because they all have good records before they play the toughest part of their schedules is irrational. This thread should be revisited at the end of the year after all three have competed in district play.

The answer to the thread name is no. If it said, 'Best Football Record in the state= Kenton County Public', the answer would probably be yes. All three have good teams regardless of who they played. Scott will be really tested for the first time this week, but they haven't been squeaking out wins. They have been blowing teams out. That is what good football teams do. To say Kenton County Public has the best football in the state because they all have good records before they play the toughest part of their schedules is irrational. This thread should be revisited at the end of the year after all three have competed in district play.

Truth!

As far as the whole Scott thing goes, here is my take.

Who cares if they played teams that may not be so good this year. Scott is 5-0.

This is a school that has what, only 1 winning season in their history.

The school has been around over 30 years and with one more win would be the most in school history.

I would be excited too if I were a Scott fan, I don't care who they played, this is the first time in history they actually have a great season going. They arn't Highlands or Trinity or Beechwood etc. They aren't a team that has been spoiled with winning titles etc. They are a team that for the first time in their history has been undefeated half way through the season.

They could go on and finish 10-0 or they could finish 5-5 who knows. But right now I don't think anything is wrong with Scott being excited about this season, it's the first time they have ever had this chance.

I say good luck to Scott the rest of the way, excpet for tomorrow's game lol.

At this point in the season Scott is on a roll and for the time being I like seeing them get excited.

The school has been around over 30 years and with one more win would be the most in school history.

I would be excited too if I were a Scott fan, I don't care who they played, this is the first time in history they actually have a great season going. They arn't Highlands or Trinity or Beechwood etc. They aren't a team that has been spoiled with winning titles etc. They are a team that for the first time in their history has been undefeated half way through the season.

They could go on and finish 10-0 or they could finish 5-5 who knows. But right now I don't think anything is wrong with Scott being excited about this season, it's the first time they have ever had this chance.

At this point in the season Scott is on a roll and for the time being I like seeing them get excited.

Agreed.

I agree. I also think this is a case where playing what's perceived to be a weak schedule is a good thing. Build up the confidence of the players and refine your play calling to get ready district play and hopefully playoffs.

Go Eagles

I agree. I also think this is a case where playing what's perceived to be a weak schedule is a good thing. Build up the confidence of the players and refine your play calling to get ready district play and hopefully playoffs.

Go Eagles

Exactly. Not only that, who cares what happens from here to the end of the season, these boys who some have played since 1st grade are a part of something special. Maybe not what some other kids who are fortunate to play on teams that winning is the norm, but these kids who have never known what winning was like since they got to high school. This is something they will remember for the rest of their lives and hold it in a special place in their hearts.

I applaud what they are doing and glad, especially the seniors, can leave High School, and most importantly those who will never play again after this year, that they have something to hold on to and can walk away from the game they love with a smile on their face.

I almost wish Scott wasn't in Cooper's district because if they weren't I'd root them on every week until the end of the season.

Go Cooper Jaguars!! and then Go Scott Eagles!!