Is there a rule about admission prices?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except when you attend a basketball game at BBHS. As a member of the khsaa with a pass, every time I've tried to use it out there I've been told "we aren't honoring those passes tonight". And it wasn't for tournament games or fundraisers. A typical weekday night. As active members in good standing with the NKAC, why are they allowed to make their own rules, but when their members attend games at other schools, their passes are honored, with a guest?

Interesting.

I cannot think of a game, played in our gym, in which you would not be admitted with a valid KHSAA pass. We do have a "bearer only" policy, which is the intent of the pass. In the cases of coaches coming to scout and bringing along a partner, that partner is normally admitted along with the pass bearer (Common sense). District and regional tournaments do not honor KHSAA passes, but use a submitted pass list. Press, scouts, and visiting dignitaries normally request to be put on the pass list.

I cannot speak for any other type of pass.

I've just posted the particulars for the 9th/10th Region "A" Soccer Sectional playoffs between Brossart and NCC coming up Tuesday and Wednesday at Pendery Park. Quoted admission prices are $6 for adults, and $3 for students and senior citizens. I'm not sure who is hosting.

I don't know if the effort was made, but it would have been great to have the BB-NCC Boys Girls sectionals played as a double-header at the NKU soccer complex. Then I don't think anyone would have complained about the $6 fee, and we would have broadcast the double-header, and it would have provided a great "state tournament" type atmosphere for these games, which in fact are extensions of the "A" State Tournament. I also realize that putting something like that together on short notice is really difficult - but it would have been nice.

I too would rather have a large crowd at our high school sporting events, than have folks stay away because the price of attending with a family is prohibitive. While it wouldn't apply in this case, we (Brossart) do sell season and all-sport season passes at dramatically reduced rates, and have special Brossart student rates at our home games. I do agree that a "screw (or maybe better term - "Take advantage of") the visitors" mentality does exist in some arenas, and that in sports like baseball, where we until recently, did not charge admission, would charge admission if the team we were hosting charged admission when we played there.

I'd like to see us try "Dollar Days" just to see how dramatically the admission price effects attendence.

In basketball I give "Go Mustangs" passes to every kid from our feeders playing on school teams, or any grade school student who requests one. I want those kids in our gym watching our teams' play, and we have developed a nice Jr High section of kids who do attend our games. The only games that we do not honor these are an NCC home game, or the BB-Campbell County game at the Middle School.

I too think that standardized pricing would be a good idea. Perhaps a topic for an upcoming Athletic Directors' meeting.

Interesting.

I cannot think of a game, played in our gym, in which you would not be admitted with a valid KHSAA pass. We do have a "bearer only" policy, which is the intent of the pass. In the cases of coaches coming to scout and bringing along a partner, that partner is normally admitted along with the pass bearer (Common sense). District and regional tournaments do not honor KHSAA passes, but use a submitted pass list. Press, scouts, and visiting dignitaries normally request to be put on the pass list.

I was hoping you would chime in Mustang because I was surprised myself. More like disappointed. I was told the passes weren't honored that night twice last year. The second time I questioned the worker at the door (and I don't like to do that because I realize they are volunteers). She told me "Mel told her". The second time I said I was going to find Mel. I know you wouldn't run that type of program.

Interesting.

KHSAA Coaches Pass allow bearer and a guest in for free, but again I have no problem with the Brossart "bearer only" policy, makes perfect sense to me.

The Enquirer had a nice article yesterday discussing the cost of High School Athletics, "Is the cost of High School Sports Worth It". The article does an excellent job of framing the challenges with maintaining High School Sports programs. So we vent today about paying to see our kids participate in an environment we all truly love (High School Sports), but tomorrow they might not have the chance to even pay $6.00 to see their kids perform.

The Enquirer had a nice article yesterday discussing the cost of High School Athletics, "Is the cost of High School Sports Worth It". The article does an excellent job of framing the challenges with maintaining High School Sports programs. So we vent today about paying to see our kids participate in an environment we all truly love (High School Sports), but tomorrow they might not have the chance to even pay $6.00 to see their kids perform.

Very true. A few years ago we had people complaining about paying to see their kids. I wrote an article for our school newsletter and I had a lot of people come to me and say they didn't realize the costs that go into an Athletic program. Plus we get no financial help from our Board to fund the programs other than the coaching stipends.

I've looked online and can't find the article.......damn it!!!