Does SOS mean anything at the high school level?

Listed below are 4 schedules from some of the best teams in the state. The names of the teams are not posted, just their opponents. Almost everyone would know who the teams are. My hypothetical question is, if all 4 teams won all their games (which would not happen in a million years) who would the best team?

Lex Cath

Bryan Station

Lou. St. X

Owensboro

McCallie (tn)

Barron County

Logan County

Warren Central (ky)

Greenwood (Ky)

Blackmon (Tn)

Ballard

Lex Cath

Bowling Green (Ky)

Fairdale

Moeller (OH)

Central (Ky)

Trinity

Lou. Male

Manual St. X (OH)

Ensworth (TN)

Carmel (IN)

Lawrence Central (IN)

Colerain (OH)

Indy Cathedral (IN)

Lou St. X

Manuel

Male

Marist (IL) Moeller (OH)

University Christian (FL)

Campbell Co.

Bryan Station

John Hardin

Paducah Tilman

Cov-Cath

Harrison Co.

Holmes

Elder (OH)

Warren Central (KY)

** NOTE.... 3 OF THESE TEAMS PLAY AT LEAST 1 TEAM FROM THE GCL SOUTH

**NOTE.....1 OF THESE TEAMS PLAY A TEAM FROM THE GMC AND SOME FROM THE GCL SOUTH AS WELL.

**NOTE..........1 TEAM PLAYS NEITHER GCL OR GMC OPPONENTS

We need Dave Cantrall, a Magic 8 Ball and, a Ouija Board.

Wait a minute, all we need is Dave Cantrall because he already has a Magic 8 Ball and a Ouija Board.

Which does he use first? And if the results between the two aren't similar does one supersede the other?

Listed below are 4 schedules from some of the best teams in the state. The names of the teams are not posted, just their opponents. Almost everyone would know who the teams are. My hypothetical question is, if all 4 teams won all their games (which would not happen in a million years) who would the best team?

Lex Cath

Bryan Station

Lou. St. X

Owensboro

McCallie (tn)

Barron County

Logan County

Warren Central (ky)

Greenwood (Ky)

Blackmon (Tn)

Ballard

Lex Cath

Bowling Green (Ky)

Fairdale

Moeller (OH)

Central (Ky)

Trinity

Lou. Male

Manual St. X (OH)

Ensworth (TN)

Carmel (IN)

Lawrence Central (IN)

Colerain (OH)

Indy Cathedral (IN)

Lou St. X

Manuel

Male

Marist (IL) Moeller (OH)

University Christian (FL)

Campbell Co.

Bryan Station

John Hardin

Paducah Tilman

Cov-Cath

Harrison Co.

Holmes

Elder (OH)

Warren Central (KY)

** NOTE.... 3 OF THESE TEAMS PLAY AT LEAST 1 TEAM FROM THE GCL SOUTH

**NOTE.....1 OF THESE TEAMS PLAY A TEAM FROM THE GMC AND SOME FROM THE GCL SOUTH AS WELL.

**NOTE..........1 TEAM PLAYS NEITHER GCL OR GMC OPPONENTS

Ok, SOS wise, I would say the 3rd schedule looks the toughest, followed by the 2nd one, the last one listed, and then the very first one. (Yes I listed in order of toughest schedule to weakest.) So I would have to say the team with the 3rd schedule would easily if it's based on SOS alone.

To the initial question: I think SOS means something, but I don't necessarily think the toughest SOS means more then the third SOS. In other words, I think a strong schedule means something over a weak schedule. Obviously, you have listed four very strong schedules, and I think after you have created a strong schedule I think the benefit is there. All of these teams will benefit from a strong schedule, none of the teams listed will benefit more then the other - A strong schedule is a strong schedule.

Furthermore, I think SOS is relative, what is a strong schedule for one team, may not be considered a strong schedule for another team. Meaning, the strong schedule of a young team may start off with some not great teams and end with some strong teams.

But, yes, I think in most cases, SOS does mean something.

For most, I think SOS in KY does nothing more than prepare you for end of season district playoffs (unless you are the team being mentioned in the mythical national champ race). Heck, in KY a team with 1,2,3, wins can get to a playoff in some districts. And some have won.

Edited by OlDog75
grammar

To the initial question: I think SOS means something, but I don't necessarily think the toughest SOS means more then the third SOS. In other words, I think a strong schedule means something over a weak schedule. Obviously, you have listed four very strong schedules, and I think after you have created a strong schedule I think the benefit is there. All of these teams will benefit from a strong schedule, none of the teams listed will benefit more then the other - A strong schedule is a strong schedule.

Furthermore, I think SOS is relative, what is a strong schedule for one team, may not be considered a strong schedule for another team. Meaning, the strong schedule of a young team may start off with some not great teams and end with some strong teams.

But, yes, I think in most cases, SOS does mean something.

I agree with this. Also would add that the strength of schedule carries a lot more weight when the team owns more control over their own schedule. In the case of the 4th team, there are 3 weeks they are forced to play that would never be on their schedule if they weren't district games.

I agree with this. Also would add that the strength of schedule carries a lot more weight when the team owns more control over their own schedule. In the case of the 4th team, there are 3 weeks they are forced to play that would never be on their schedule if they weren't district games.

Agreed...

SOS for team #3 is basically by default imo. Team #2 not really that far behind, #4 is just a smaller version of #3 problem of scheduling and #1 is working real hard to be like the Big 3.

Another question, how long before a total revamp of the entire current system as we know it?

Team #3 can barely buy an in State game at the moment and team #4 is not far off, team #1 is showing signs of owning its classification as well..

SOS does matter... ask Louisville Central who built their program from initially playing, but losing decisively, to Louisville 6A Teams. Now Central plays those same teams and either wins, or are right in the game late in the 4th Quarter.

IMHO, what elevated the Highlands and Trinity programs the past decade to another level was their SOS and the lumps they took stepping up to play better teams the first years they were found on their schedule. Along these same lines, Bowling Green's program has seemingly evolved to the next level proportionately as they have upgraded their schedule in recent years.

To answer the question, SOS doesn't matter. There are only two things that matter, state championship and/or head to head. All the rest is just for threads to be debated in.

Does it depend on the officials? Just kidding...:banana: