Mom Forces Bullying Daughter To Wear Thrift Store Clothes

theguru

You're condoning bullying the bully. That's the equivalent of saying bullying the bully is okay.

Again, show me where I condoned it. I condoned what the mom did. So, again, are you calling the mom a bully or aren't you?

I never condoned any other kid bullying the bully. I simply said it will teach her a lesson in bullying if she does get bullied. Not at any point did I say it would be good for her or should happen.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I take a shot? I said either you overlooked it or you ignored it. Seeing as you normally read all the posts in a thread, my assumption was you chose to ignore it. Don't see a shot there. :idunno:

"Betting heavily on the latter" felt like a shot. Maybe not.

She'd be spending every minute of the day not in school, in her room, without cell phones, electronics or any other form of entertainment. Also be done with any extraciricular's she was involved in until further notice. I'd request that the teacher keep me updated on her progress, and if it continued she'd never leave her room or see a single friend. I'd let her know she'd be allowed to resume her "normal" life as soon as she started showing every other student the respect she shows to me, her mother, her teachers, etc.

If things started to improve and she stopped the bullying, she'd slowly earn back her things.

Don't know all the details but it felt like that was the discussion the parent had with her child. When that stuff doesn't work, what's next?

Again, show me where I condoned it. I condoned what the mom did. So, again, are you calling the mom a bully or aren't you?

I never condoned any other kid bullying the bully. I simply said it will teach her a lesson in bullying if she does get bullied. Not at any point did I say it would be good for her or should happen.

If that's a potential consequence of the discipline than it's a very poor form of discipline.

You said it will teach her a good lesson. I equate that to saying you're okay with that outcome. To me that's not an acceptable outcome.

Don't know all the details but it felt like that was the discussion the parent had with her child. When that stuff doesn't work, what's next?

Sounded to me like she simply sat her down, told her how wrong it was, and the girl didn't seem to care. I didn't see anything that said she took away her after school "life".

If that's a potential consequence of the discipline than it's a very poor form of discipline.

You said it will teach her a good lesson. I equate that to saying you're okay with that outcome. To me that's not an acceptable outcome.

If that doesn't teach her a good lesson on how to treat people than nothing will. Is it ideal, absolutely not. Neither is her child bullying someone that may be less fortunate or different.

Sounded to me like she simply sat her down, told her how wrong it was, and the girl didn't seem to care. I didn't see anything that said she took away her after school "life".

Right. We don't know for sure. I know with my oldest electronics is the first thing I go after. If they don't react with that threat we move on to something more real. Every parent I've talked to, short of Clyde, has agreed with the parent. Most have a very good idea where that conversation headed to take such an extreme measure by the parent.

She'd be spending every minute of the day not in school, in her room, without cell phones, electronics or any other form of entertainment. Also be done with any extraciricular's she was involved in until further notice. I'd request that the teacher keep me updated on her progress, and if it continued she'd never leave her room or see a single friend. I'd let her know she'd be allowed to resume her "normal" life as soon as she started showing every other student the respect she shows to me, her mother, her teachers, etc.

If things started to improve and she stopped the bullying, she'd slowly earn back her things.

Your too easy, I dont think this is harsh enough.

Knowing your stance on corporal punishment of children, I sincerely hope that method works for you when your time comes. I mean that wholeheartedly.

Parenting is by no means a perfect science. I commend the mother for taking reasonable action. May work, may not. If not, she sounds like type of mother that will go back to the drawing board, which just goes along with the nature of being a parent.

It's kind of a shame that a parent just being a parent even makes the headlines. My, how times have changed.

As someone said before, this mom knows her daughter. Perhaps this was a worse punishment for her than taking away things. I live it!

My wife has found a ton of good clothes at Goodwill. A ton.

Not a knock, but I will NEVER shop in a goodwill. The amount of money their executives make is mind boggling. Google Goodwill CEO salaries, Goodwill owner, any of those. The millions that these guys make, IMO is disgusting. So many people are misinformed I think that they feel goodwill is like most non-profits, employing and helping so many people. I do not believe that is the case.

BTW I am all for the mom doing this to try and teach her daughter, but I disagree supporting a Goodwill to teach her.

Not a knock, but I will NEVER shop in a goodwill. The amount of money their executives make is mind boggling. Google Goodwill CEO salaries, Goodwill owner, any of those. The millions that these guys make, IMO is disgusting. So many people are misinformed I think that they feel goodwill is like most non-profits, employing and helping so many people. I do not believe that is the case.

BTW I am all for the mom doing this to try and teach her daughter, but I disagree supporting a Goodwill to teach her.

Some of us shop Goodwill because we are aghast at the price of new clothes. There are tons of alternatives if Goodwill, specifically, is an ethical issue. However, besides people like me, who NOW shops because I'm thrifty (and know about rockin a wolf on my noggin), there is a whole socioeconimc class of people who cannot afford to shop otherwise. I've been one of those too. Thank God for $2 skirts and $5 jackets, and $1 blouses! The beginning of my professional (non-uniform wearing) career would have been much more difficult!