Mom Forces Bullying Daughter To Wear Thrift Store Clothes

theguru

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding shopping at Goodwill. We bought great furniture there when we were first married.

When my in laws passed, my husbands family donated TONS of things there, including things never opened. Down the road, they were missing several valuable items, specifically jewelry. Makes me wonder how many things are donated with money, jewelry in the pockets. They tried to be careful, but I have no doubt some things slipped by. I bet that Goodwill shoppers get lucky sometimes.

I grew up wearing Goodwill, DAV, Salvation Army....that's what the trade off was for private school. I have continued to buy clothes at such places, and others all my life. I have never had any experience with bed bugs from anything, including furniture, that I've bought.

We had a "Rag Store" that I got some clothes from growing up, but most were hand me downs from my sister and aunts, or mom would make them. I always look for Goodwill stores when I go out of town. Got a pair of Jamie Sadock shorts when I was in Florida. They retail for around $110. I paid $4.00. Also have found some good deals on e-bay for this brand.

On the parenting, I agree, the mom tried talking and it wasn't working. I liked her approach.

Bullying a bully is wrong? In a sense, yes.

But what about when it is boys (yes it can apply to girls as well)...when i was growing up (not that long ago) I was told that if being bullied by someone to go up and punch them square in the face. I found this to hold true for myself and for others too. Doing that never turned myself or anyone else in to a bully. It just stopped the problem.

Wouldn't this be considered bullying the bully?

Bullying a bully is wrong? In a sense, yes.

But what about when it is boys (yes it can apply to girls as well)...when i was growing up (not that long ago) I was told that if being bullied by someone to go up and punch them square in the face. I found this to hold true for myself and for others too. Doing that never turned myself or anyone else in to a bully. It just stopped the problem.

Wouldn't this be considered bullying the bully?

The ole knuckle sandwich. Seems like that used to be the solution, end of story.

But then came along political correctness, emotional distress, someone's feelings getting hurt, etc., etc.

Not condoning violence, just seemed like an old fashioned fist fight usually brought a little closure to the issue.

It seems as though she has a responsibility for the girl. What difference does it make whether she's the birth mother or not?

I didn't say it made a difference. Someone mentioned that the mother knows her daughter, and I was just clarifying that it's not her daughter, it's not even someone related to her.

Not a knock, but I will NEVER shop in a goodwill. The amount of money their executives make is mind boggling. Google Goodwill CEO salaries, Goodwill owner, any of those. The millions that these guys make, IMO is disgusting. So many people are misinformed I think that they feel goodwill is like most non-profits, employing and helping so many people. I do not believe that is the case.

BTW I am all for the mom doing this to try and teach her daughter, but I disagree supporting a Goodwill to teach her.

We shop at Goodwill to get 3.00 Polo shirts and 2.00 work pants/work shirts. Nothing more. Nothing less.

how many free bed bugs to you bring home?

I've never had that problem before. When I was in college, my furniture shopping was done almost exclusively through the St. Vincent dePaul Society store that was about 1/2 mile from campus in Dayton. Couch, chair, a lamp and even some clothes. Never had bugs.