Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the 2013 football season?

theguru

Should Clowney sit out the 2013 college football season, for his own good?

Clowney should look no farther than former teammate Marcus Lattimore, who suffered a serious knee injury during his third season after leaving high school. Lattimore’s draft stock has taken a major hit because of it, and it’s unclear whether he’ll ever reach his full potential at the next level.

Most college football players major in playing football, even though a small percentage of all college football players ever play professionally. If a player is ready not only for the NFL but also to be the taken at the top of the draft, why risk serious injury by playing for free?

Let’s not get bogged down by the “free education” excuse. What Clowney gains in 2013 by playing for South Carolina is outweighed dramatically by the risk. Sure, he’ll purchase an insurance policy to replace the money he’d lose if he suffers a career-ending injury. But if he’s injured, he’s injured. And if it impacts his ability to thrive in the NFL, no insurance policy will change that.

As Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino routinely tells players in whom the NBA is interested, “You can stay and help my family, or you can go and help your family.” In Clowney’s case, he could be helping himself and his family more by sitting out a season.

Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the 2013 football season? | ProFootballTalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it do to his draft stock if he does? I know he would have to combine to prove himself but that would be it. Injuries happen all the time. I say play.

As it stands right now he would maybe be the number one overall pick, top five for sure, given that assurance risking injury doesn't make much sense from my viewpoint.

As it stands right now he would maybe be the number one overall pick, top five for sure, given that assurance risking injury doesn't make much sense from my viewpoint.

If he sat out an entire year, his stock would plummet, and most teams would question his desire and toughness.

He'll play or he'll lose millions.

If he sat out an entire year, his stock would plummet, and most teams would question his desire and toughness.

He'll play or he'll lose millions.

Or maybe the NFL teams would say finally someone with some common sense and his stock rises even further.

When you say sit out, does that mean no games but full practices? Because I can't imagine an entire season without any football action would be good for your skills. Now if he is practicing with the team and doing workouts, but just not playing on Saturdays, then that might be an idea.

Doesn't this come down to paying college players? South Carolina players are interested in him playing because he wil help their team have success. Clowney would no doubt want to enjoy the team success, too. But sitting out would eliminate the danger of losing millions due to injury. If Clowney were to sit, he helps himself financially, but does damage to the team, the athletic department, and friendships. So all others would be pushing him to play for their own benefit, not necessarily his.

Now, if there were some type of legitimate "payment" for playing (and don't give me any stipend or degree nonsense), then Clowney doesn't have to concern himself as much with the injury issue and the team also benefits from his presence.