Ashland Blazer looking to drop the "Blazer"

gchs_uk9

A Good Change: Renaming schools for city where they are makes sense

Thumbs up to a proposal being considered by the Ashland Independent Board of Education to change the name of Paul G. Blazer High School to Ashland High School and the name of George M. Verity Middle School to Ashland Middle School. The change would immediately tell anyone in Kentucky where the two schools are located.

The change also would officially give the high school the same name people throughout the state already know it by.

KSBA News Article

I think this is a good move. I would guess 95% of the state knows the school as Ashland and most have never heard the term "Blazer" or "Paul Blazer." This would seem to clarify it.

Question for the northeastern Kentucky BGPers: Does anyone in the area use the term Blazer?

First Deming now this, dont like it one bit. School(s) were named that in the beginning for a reason, leave it alone.

The article says it was Ashland High School until 1966, and then was changed to Blazer when they built the new campus. It seems to me they are reverting back to their original name.

I think this is a good move. I would guess 95% of the state knows the school as Ashland and most have never heard the term "Blazer" or "Paul Blazer." This would seem to clarify it.

Question for the northeastern Kentucky BGPers: Does anyone in the area use the term Blazer?

I always just call them Ashland. Some call them Blazer because it annoys some of them. I do find it funny that they want to drop the namesake who established Ashland Oil, who has since left town.

As a Blazer grad, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Seems strange that the school I graduated from will no longer have the same name. To be fair though, when someone asks where I went to school, I always respond Ashland.

On a related note - my dad graduated from a place called Western Maryland College, in 1954. He always gave them a little something each year, until about 10 years ago. They changed the name to McDaniel College, after a patron.

The next year he politely told them at fundraising time that they evidently didn't need his money any more.