22ft Academy?

Also, is it or is it not true that this 22ft group used to be in other states? If, so, they why did they move?

I'm just curious...why are you assuming it's an entirely negative situation? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing (or being combative), I'm just wondering why you feel this way.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Staying at the Jackson Inn....playing in Lees College gym....paying a very large sum of tuition to attend Breathitt County High School...

Sounds expensive. One has to wonder where is the money coming from. I assume that all of these kids are not wealthy.

Why do you assume that? Again, not going against you but where does that assumption come from?

Here is a thought, why not answer the questions and no one would then assume anything? No one associated with, or near the 22ft program seems to want to answer any simple questions! Why is that?:idunno:

Why do you assume that? Again, not going against you but where does that assumption come from?[/quote

I just assume that because most people are not wealthy enough to be able to afford tuition, the cost of living in a hotel and all the costs associated with that. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no way that all these players have that kind of money. Maybe a few but not all. As TOG said, answers to some of our questions would put a rest to the assumptions.

I'm just curious...why are you assuming it's an entirely negative situation? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing (or being combative), I'm just wondering why you feel this way.
To start, the whole WV Prep thing has some people concerned, and this group who supposably was in other states is now here, they don't have too much information out there and do not respond to direct questions. Then you have the people wondering why they, for what ever reason, left Scott Co, people are hearing things. What is the "deal" with Breathitt County? Who I work for I know a little bit about it though not my area, but a public school cannot just allow students to attend school for free, of you have the correct visa you can attend one year free. It does not matter if the public school or the public school district says they will cut breaks, there are federal guidelines.

As what TOG has mentioned above, why don't they respond to questions? From their only website (from Europe): "The coaching staff at the academy will encompass a head coach who has coached at the NBA level. He has also coached at the FIBA level for the past twelve years. He has implemented successful basketball programs in Europe and the NCAA."

Yet they never name this glorified NBA coach who has also had a magical career implementing successful basketball programs in the NCAA? Again, no name? And I know for a fact they are not telling kids who are coming into their program who the coach is either, as not telling them they are living out of a motel.

Having visited that cess pool Topix and looked up this conversation, a few people you can tell, it's not rocket science trying to figure it out, that are with the program in some way. One guy there simply asked 1)Why did they leave North Carolina? 2) Why did they leave Scott Co in the middle of the year? 3) Who is paying for them to attend a "public school"? 4) Where are the players staying/sleeping? (this involves people who are concerned over accommodations of the WV Prep scandel). And there were a few other inquires. But, the response this guy got was filled with anger? the reply said that the guy was jealous and he was going after kids? How was he going after kids by the above questions? And why the anger? Again, as people have mentioned, why no response to questions? And why the anger when people do ask questions?

I know of one player from Russia whos family is asking questions and not getting direct answers either. And there were concerns by at least one current player there as well.

I would love to see an organization come into KY and set up, the right way!

It's simple, if people ask questions, respond with direct answers.

Kind of odd that they decided to go to Breathitt, isn't that district being run by the state? I cant see any positives to them being located in Kentucky. They can only play against non sanctioned high school teams in KY and College JV teams, neither of which provides them with much competition, which means they will be paying big money for teams to come to them or paying big money to travel out of state.

To start, the whole WV Prep thing has some people concerned, and this group who supposably was in other states is now here, they don't have too much information out there and do not respond to direct questions. Then you have the people wondering why they, for what ever reason, left Scott Co, people are hearing things. What is the "deal" with Breathitt County? Who I work for I know a little bit about it though not my area, but a public school cannot just allow students to attend school for free, of you have the correct visa you can attend one year free. It does not matter if the public school or the public school district says they will cut breaks, there are federal guidelines.

As what TOG has mentioned above, why don't they respond to questions? From their only website (from Europe): "The coaching staff at the academy will encompass a head coach who has coached at the NBA level. He has also coached at the FIBA level for the past twelve years. He has implemented successful basketball programs in Europe and the NCAA."

Yet they never name this glorified NBA coach who has also had a magical career implementing successful basketball programs in the NCAA? Again, no name? And I know for a fact they are not telling kids who are coming into their program who the coach is either, as not telling them they are living out of a motel.

Having visited that cess pool Topix and looked up this conversation, a few people you can tell, it's not rocket science trying to figure it out, that are with the program in some way. One guy there simply asked 1)Why did they leave North Carolina? 2) Why did they leave Scott Co in the middle of the year? 3) Who is paying for them to attend a "public school"? 4) Where are the players staying/sleeping? (this involves people who are concerned over accommodations of the WV Prep scandel). And there were a few other inquires. But, the response this guy got was filled with anger? the reply said that the guy was jealous and he was going after kids? How was he going after kids by the above questions? And why the anger? Again, as people have mentioned, why no response to questions? And why the anger when people do ask questions?

I know of one player from Russia whos family is asking questions and not getting direct answers either. And there were concerns by at least one current player there as well.

I would love to see an organization come into KY and set up, the right way!

It's simple, if people ask questions, respond with direct answers.

WV prep? Please fill me in on whom you're referring to. Are you talking about Mt. State Academy? Huntington Prep? Or am I way off?

I forgot about the WVPrep thing, it was some time ago.

Bottom line, I think we are headed for club sports in basketball and baseball. I think you'll end up with academies like this all over the country. Some will be pay to play, others not. Exactly what you have at places like Huntington Prep. No need for a school if you have folks in the community to house individuals like Prep does. Quality families and top notch education. Appealing to say the least if you have an elite athlete.

I forgot about the WVPrep thing, it was some time ago.

Bottom line, I think we are headed for club sports in basketball and baseball. I think you'll end up with academies like this all over the country. Some will be pay to play, others not. Exactly what you have at places like Huntington Prep. No need for a school if you have folks in the community to house individuals like Prep does. Quality families and top notch education. Appealing to say the least if you have an elite athlete.

I am sincerely curious as to what is appealing about it?

I am sincerely curious as to what is appealing about it?

Just a guess, but I would think it mostly deals with advantages that arise with the lack of a governing body, which COULD mean:

- No transfer restrictions, eligibility issues, etc. (at least as far as the school they are going to is concerned)

- No Title IX issues, so funding for the programs won't be skewed,

- More games played (KHSAA caps the number of games that a team can play in a year),

- Ability to play more teams (KHSAA does not allow schools to play prep schools and the like),

- Distance traveled for a game isn't an issue (If I'm not mistaken, Louisville has a rule on how far teams can travel to play games during certain times of the year)

- More exposure that would come with playing more games and the opportunity to play better competition,

- No restrictions on practice times, etc. (If I'm not mistaken, Fayette County has a rule that no practices or games can be held on days when school is cancelled).

- No restrictions on who can coach (some districts require that coaches work for the school system)

These are just a few of the more appealing things I thought of off the top of my head.

The biggest drawback would obviously be that there is no opportunity to compete for a state championship. However, for a team with the type of talent that an Oak Hill, Findlay Prep, etc. has (or even for a program that envisions being on that scale), I don't think this is a big hinderance to getting talent and the exposure that comes with it when compared to all of the advantages that are otherwise offered.

Something I'd like to know more on would be how the eligibility of a student like one in the following hypothetical would be affected:

1. Student plays varsity at their public school as a freshman (i.e., KHSAA's eligibility guidelines have kicked in).

2. As a Sophomore, Student enrolls at a prep school and plays there for a year.

3. At the end of Student's Sophomore year, he decides the prep school isn't for him and re-enrolls at his original high school following the basketball season (or end of the year).

4. Student re-enrolls at their original public school for their Junior year and wants to play varsity.

To me, one of the biggest issues with how prevalent schools like this become will be the finality of a student's decision in regards to their future eligibility at other schools. Places like 22 Ft. Academy are becoming more common, but I would think that negative treatment of athletes who are in situations similar to the one described above would really effect how much staying power they have. If going this route essentially means that a player is forfeiting the remainder of their eligibility, you would assume that players will think long and hard about making the decision to attend these types of programs, especially given the way these schools tend to come and go.

I don't have a problem with places like Oak Hill, Findlay, etc. and wouldn't have a problem with a program like 22 Ft. Academy if it is being run with the best interests of the kids in mind. However, for every success story you hear about from a school like Oak Hill, there are probably three or four schools who have tried to emulate that same model and have failed miserably. Lots of times, the ones most affected by this are the players themselves. In the worst cases, we have horror stories like the one linked above serving as cautionary tales.