Guns, Videogame/Media, Culture, Faith, and Parents

And for the record, my steadfast belief is that, while many of the ancillary issues such as videogames/desensitization to violence deserve discussion; the overarching element in school shootings that needs the most attention is mental illness and access to weaponry by the mentally ill.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more fair to say the reason shootings happening aren't the guns, but the guns make it easier to kill. No one can place blame on guns for these shootings, but yes, they are the weapon of choice. That being said, every one of these people that go to schools, malls, whatever also have in common that they lack friends and a normal social life. I believe parents play a part in facilitating a normal social life from early on in childhood, so part of the blame can go to the parents. But if the child is mentally ill, chances are they'll have trouble making friends, thus leading to depression and desensitization due to lack of interaction and lack of feel for relationships and human life.

And for the record, my steadfast belief is that, while many of the ancillary issues such as videogames/desensitization to violence deserve discussion; the overarching element in school shootings that needs the most attention is mental illness and access to weaponry by the mentally ill.
I agree 100%. The point I was making is that just because someone uses something to kill or commit other criminal act doesn't mean that the other 99.99% of people that use those items responsibly should lose them.

On that, we agree. I'd also add gun free zones as another element.

Hard part is coming up with the right way to keep the mentally ill from committing such crimes. "Assault Weapons Bans" aren't the answer, it's not even a Band-Aid. I wish I knew the answer, sadly I don't.

I agree 100%. The point I was making is that just because someone uses something to kill or commit other criminal act doesn't mean that the other 99.99% of people that use those items responsibly should lose them.

But if it saves just one life isn't it worth infringing on the rights of millions of others......:rolleyes:

Does it matter if it was on purpose or with malice afterthought? They're as dead as the ones that were shot. If they're mentally ill, do we blame the guns? Rational thinking people don't, in my book.

The Carrollton, Kentucky collision killed 27 in 1988, the collision and plunge into Big Sandy River on February 28, 1958 in Prestonsburg, Kentucky also killed 27. The Yuba City bus disaster in Martinez, CA in 1976, claimed the lives of 29. All were children except for 1 in '58 and '76. All but 3 were children in '88.

Can't speak for the others but if memory serves with the Carrolton tragedy, school buses were redesigned and new regs mandated exit doors in the middle of the bus to help save lives that were lost in the wreck.

Just saying that your example led to changes in the industry nationwide regardless of the expense.

So yes it does happen intentionally...in the Carrollton bus crash no one knows what the driver of the truck was thinking. I'm not saying it was intentional but there is no way to conclusively know that this guy didn't have mental break and just do it is there?

From my memory of the event he was drunk. Plastered and drove down the wrong part of the interstate when he thought he was on the right side of the highway.

Parents, it's up to them to take them to church and instill the next one.

Faith, if you have faith you stay away from the next thing due to not wanting to hang out with bad people or areas.

Culture, you don't have to use this as an excuse to be bad, plenty of good people experience bad culture.

Games and media, it shows kids how easy it is to kill with no repercussion and the media glorifies killings in movies and tv.

Guns, I never saw a,gun load itself and walk into a,room and kill anyone.

I would go with your order myself.

But I will footnote with some of my own rantings:

For the parents, maybe I would substitute home life. There are so many single parent families (why?). Then the parent(s) work more hours than ever before giving less time for direction and guidance. How can we better support these situations?

Then environment....who are their friends...do they have any? This is a major influence on behavior.

There are so many kids, then adults with psychological or psychiatric problems (why?) Is there a problem in the gene pool - environmental?

Finally, it seems that the population is growing as much or more in the situation of an unplanned, unwanted, unprepared family environment than those who educate and prepare for child rearing. If that is the case then to expect anything other than dysfunction is illogical.

From my memory of the event he was drunk. Plastered and drove down the wrong part of the interstate when he thought he was on the right side of the highway.

I've met the man and spoken with him. While we didn't discuss the incident (I was waiting on him at a place I worked at, and I was genuinely shocked that he was no longer incarcerated -- musta been 1999 or 2000), he knew I knew who he was and vice versa. All he wanted to do at that point was go back to being as anonymous as a man possibly can be when burdened with the knowledge of all that blood on his hands.

There's a lot of us on this particular thread who have driven drunk. Some of them, perhaps, as bad as Mr. Mahoney was that fateful night nearly a quarter-century ago.