The health of Kentucky high school football

All Tell

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the elements that I personally dislike in the current system:

1. Lack of playoff participation by all participates. A subset of schools do not even make the playoffs and some never do. Kids at these schools never, ever get to feel a playoff game. That is terrible.

How about we just give the teams that are not good enough to make the playoffs some nice colorful "participation" ribbons and call them Champions just for having played the game? Heck, the main problem with Kentucky football is that the KHSAA went to the six class system just to let more teams feel special because they finally made it to the playoffs. Never mind that they get blown out in the first round with a running clock in the process.

It's funny to me because there's nothing you can do. Take it down to four classes and Trinity, Highlands, Central and Mayfield will win all of the time. All 6 classes does is allow two more teams some trophies.

Central had exactly 0 state titles before 6 classes. They were 3A. Nobody has benefited more.

Central had exactly 0 state titles before 6 classes. They were 3A. Nobody has benefited more.

Okay. Mayfield, Highlands, BG and Trinity will always win it all.

Or Mayfield, NCC, Highlands and Trinity will win it all. Either way it goes the same teams will keep winning it all.

Just the way it is. The only way to change anything is to redo the playoffs but then people will complain about traveling 4 hours for a first round playoff game.

In reality there is nothing you can do to change it.

People say make less classes, maybe 4 classes. Guess what the Highlands and Trinity's still will continue to winh, so what does that do? Makes it even more boring. Make more classes? Nope, that is just silly talk. So people can be upset with the same teams winning etc. but there is nothing you can do to change the outcome.

Okay. Mayfield, Highlands, BG and Trinity will always win it all.

Or Mayfield, NCC, Highlands and Trinity will win it all. Either way it goes the same teams will keep winning it all.

Just the way it is. The only way to change anything is to redo the playoffs but then people will complain about traveling 4 hours for a first round playoff game.

I agree that the same teams will still win titles. Just not every year. See Highlands the 6 years before six classes vs. the 6 years after 6 classes. During the last 6 years of the 4 class system, Highlands won 1 title. Since six classes they have won it every year. Winning titles every year makes them stronger and tougher to beat. Football is a very psychological game as well. It is as tough mentally for kids to believe they can beat perennial state champions as it is physically. That is why the six class system has allowed the perennial powers to get stronger and tougher to beat.

It's funny to me because there's nothing you can do. Take it down to four classes and Trinity, Highlands, Central and Mayfield will win all of the time. All 6 classes does is allow two more teams some trophies.

Four classes distribute the teams more evenly. As pointed out by many, it's doubtful that a years final game will be without T or H. But that's always been the case. There hasn't been a team outside of Louisville win a 4A/6A state championship since 1994.

From a No. Kentucky standpoint, in four classes, Class A would be very competitive (Beechwood, NCC, Holy Cross, Walton Verona, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow) and not to mention class 3 and 4 would be tough as well.

So for my solution: We return to a four class system. Make districts larger and allow teams within districts to play in opening two rounds. IMO, before going to compete down state, you have to beat the team right next to you. If your area contains two districts, you play each other in round 3 (Trinity and X- Just ask Ohio, I'm sure They would love it if Cincinnati schools could play one another in state finals). In round four, alternate who you play each year...ie. NKY vs. Central KY, Western Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky or Lexington Area vs. Louisville, NKY vs. Western KY. Last, Move the state finals to Louisville.

I fully understand the KHSAA's position on six classes. But look, it has failed. It has accomplished nothing except, giving H and T several more banners and giving NCC and Central titles. By increasing the district size, teams will then earn playoff spots not be handed to them.

Classification should NOT be based on "enrollment" (a made-up word that the government uses to further divide us, giving them all nice cushy salaries and retirements from the tax dollars it affords), but instead should be based on talent.

NO, Don't penalize a school for having talented players, often the by-product of a great feeder program. Classification should be based on number of male students playing football.

Some schools are football schools, and a large percentage of their male population plays football, even though their overall enrollment is smaller than most - Beechwood for example.

Other schools with a larger enrollment have many fewer members of their male population playing football.

Base the football classification of the school on the actual number of boys in a school playing football and I think you would (especially at the lower classes) get a truer, more accurate basis on which to judge the school's true classification.

I agree that the same teams will still win titles. Just not every year. See Highlands the 6 years before six classes vs. the 6 years after 6 classes. During the last 6 years of the 4 class system, Highlands won 1 title. Since six classes they have won it every year. Winning titles every year makes them stronger and tougher to beat. Football is a very psychological game as well. It is as tough mentally for kids to believe they can beat perennial state champions as it is physically. That is why the six class system has allowed the perennial powers to get stronger and tougher to beat.

Highlands platoons now. They didn't platoon back in the 4 class system. If their was a 4 class system still going on HHS would of still probably won all 6 State Championships.

Highlands platoons now. They didn't platoon back in the 4 class system. If their was a 4 class system still going on HHS would of still probably won all 6 State Championships.

They very well may have, but why do they all of the sudden have 90 players and the ability to platoon? Also, I would argue they did not platoon back then because it was tougher to win a title. The best had to play.

You know there are two things that make the very good teams good. Jimmy and Joes and coaching. Everyone should know that all coaches are not on the same level. Some coaches just can't look at film and see what say Highland's, Trinity's, Central's or Mayfield coaches see. It really makes a hell of a difference. Some coaches are not good at in game adjustments and some are great at it and it makes a difference on the outcome of the game. I told my wife yesterday that Coach Joe at Mayfield is like his father in one respect in that they both surrounded themselves with great assistants. You have to have all the pieces of the puzzle not just one or two.

So are you dismissing the fact that really good players flock to the school that wins? I know for a fact, kids may move or live with a relative or even a non relative just to play for a certain team. Therefore, talent is being taken away from their district school that may level the playind field somewhat.

They have always had a lot of kids play. When you win everybody wants to be a part of it.

That is exactly my point. It is now easier to win titles. They win it every year. Before, they did not. Kids flock to that success. No pun intended.

So are you dismissing the fact that really good players flock to the school that wins? I know for a fact, kids may move or live with a relative or even a non relative just to play for a certain team. Therefore, talent is being taken away from their district school that may level the playind field somewhat.

This is exactly right. Highlands has a starting offensive lineman and starting running back that attended Campbell County Middle School. They pay tuition to go to Highlands. The kids will continue to leave other schools to go to schools that win titles every year. In four classes, it was tougher for the perennial champs not named Trinity to win titles every year.