The health of Kentucky high school football

All Tell

You must not know PP very well. The last thing he cares about is "dodging competition."

It is not about dodging competition. It is about being classified correctly per current enrollment number and putting schools in the class they rightfully belong. Bowling Green is not dodging Highlands by being in 5A. That is where they belong.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you do not care. Caring about stuff is all relative. If Bowling Green was in 4A and was really supposed to be in 5A, you would care because Bowling Green would continue to lose title games to Highlands.

:lol: :lol:

No I wouldn't. I haven't had any problems with Boyle County not winning any titles since Highlands came down to 4A and some say they should be 3A. I didn't have problems when BG lost to Highlands in 5A.

Nice try though. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

No I wouldn't. I haven't had any problems with Boyle County not winning any titles since Highlands came down to 4A and some say they should be 3A. I didn't have problems when BG lost to Highlands in 5A.

Nice try though. :lol:

You actually helped make my point. You do not care about Boyle County's classification because both teams are classified correctly. This is the point.

You could not realistically justify any complaints because both teams are classified correctly.

When teams are classified incorrectly and belong in a different class, people have a valid argument.

You actually helped make my point. You do not care about Boyle County's classification because both teams are classified correctly. This is the point.

You could not realistically justify any complaints because both teams are classified correctly.

When teams are classified incorrectly and belong in a different class, people have a valid argument.

For the record, I agree with you in that if a fair number of teams are being incorrectly classified because of changing enrollments, then they should look at re-classifying every two years instead of four if the current policy isn't working. I don't remember where the KHSAA came up with the percentage (16% or is it 12%?) used to make mid-cycle adjustments. Obviously enrollment size matters or we wouldn't have classes. I'm just pleased as punch that the number of kids playing high school football has increased so dramatically over the last 6 years. As stated before, football is the best high school sport. I feel that way not just because I love the game of football but also because unlike other sports that have roster limits, in football you have a large number of kids that can gain the benefits of high school athletics. Julian in particular has done a fantastic job.

I think the point trying to be made is that Purple and myself don't care if HHS is "playing up" (in 5A or 4A). If they are in our class and they win a title and our team does not, that's the way it is.

Now you may see things differently, that's fine. But not everyone feels there is a complaint to be made if Highlands is a 4A school playing in 5A or a 3A school playing in 4A.

I think the point trying to be made is that Purple and myself don't care if HHS is "playing up" (in 5A or 4A). If they are in our class and they win a title and our team does not, that's the way it is.

Now you may see things differently, that's fine. But not everyone feels there is a complaint to be made if Highlands is a 4A school playing in 5A or a 3A school playing in 4A.

We agree on that. I have no problems with teams playing up by choice, but only when it make sense geographically. Highlands is not the issue at all. When Highlands moved up, it made sense geographically. I believe that with 6 classes, moving up would have to be based upon geography because teams would take advantage of a "move up if you want to" and try like heck to move away from schools like Highlands. See Johnson Central.

Here is a hypothetical scenario:

Team A is a struggling 2A team with 170 boys currenty in the school. They were classified 2A using numbers that are already four years old when they had 200 boys in the school. The numbers used to classify Team A do not reflect the current enrollment. Current enrollment numbers show that they would be a middle of the pack sized 1A team based upon the numbers. Team A would have a much better opportunity for success in 1A, which based on the current numbers is where they belong.

Conversely, Team B was classified 1A based on the outdated enrollment when they had 180 boys in the school, but currently have 210 boys in the school. The current enrollment would make them a middle of the pack 2A school.

Should team A be forced to play up? Or should they be moved to 1A?

Should Team B be allowed to stay in 1A although current enrollment says they should be in 2A?

In Kentucky, Team A (170 Boys) would be forced to stay in the larger 2A class for 2 more years and while Team B (210 boys) is allowed to stay in in the smaller 1A class for 2 more years.

When Cooper first opened they played up for one reason and one reason only...it was geopgraphicalyy beneficial for them to do so. If they didn't they would be traveling long distances at the time to play other schools in the class they should of been in.

Schools play up all the time because as sml has said, because of geography.

For the record, I agree with you in that if a fair number of teams are being incorrectly classified because of changing enrollments, then they should look at re-classifying every two years instead of four if the current policy isn't working. I don't remember where the KHSAA came up with the percentage (16% or is it 12%?) used to make mid-cycle adjustments. Obviously enrollment size matters or we wouldn't have classes. I'm just pleased as punch that the number of kids playing high school football has increased so dramatically over the last 6 years. As stated before, football is the best high school sport. I feel that way not just because I love the game of football but also because unlike other sports that have roster limits, in football you have a large number of kids that can gain the benefits of high school athletics. Julian in particular has done a fantastic job.

I agree with you 100%.

Well done, Jody. You need to post more often. Very enjoyable read.

Thanks, Clyde. I've only recently joined BGP, but love the site and the discussions. I hope to be able to post more, if my pesky job and family would only stay out of my way! ;)

I humbly volunteer my services as Math Consultant.

I appreciate it, but it won't be that easy. If this plan is adopted by the KHSAA (I've submitted it to them, but haven't heard anything back yet), there will be a VERY difficult pre-application test that the Math Consultant must be "proficient" at before even being considered for an interview.

NO, Don't penalize a school for having talented players, often the by-product of a great feeder program. Classification should be based on number of male students playing football.

Some schools are football schools, and a large percentage of their male population plays football, even though their overall enrollment is smaller than most - Beechwood for example.

Other schools with a larger enrollment have many fewer members of their male population playing football.

Base the football classification of the school on the actual number of boys in a school playing football and I think you would (especially at the lower classes) get a truer, more accurate basis on which to judge the school's true classification.

I think if you and I put our heads together we could probably come up with a plan that's almost as good as my original plan. I think you're on to something here. Even though I'm anti-enrollment, I could go along with assigning a number (say, 1.5, or 1.8) to each male student at the school that plays football, and somehow using that number to adjust the final classification. I'll think about it for a while and see if I can come up with something.

(Right now, I'm thinking about 1.8 for football-playing males, -0.6 for non-football-playing males, and 0 for females, adding it all up, taking the average, and using that number, which I'm going to call the "school constant", to add or subtract from their talent-ranking at whichever position those non-football-playing students decide...pending approval from the 7th person on the Talent Evaluation Committee, whose only job will be to scoff at those who think school should be about more than just football.)

I didn't care when Mercer County was classified incorrectly in 2006 either. Sorry, I don't get worked up over much. I just live life and take what is given. If I can't change it directly then IMO there is no point in me crying about it.

And Boyle County asked to move up to 5A last classification also. Boyle and LexCath both asked to move up to preserve their district with the Jessamine schools because of travel. As you can see they were denied their request. No sweat off of my back. Life goes on.

We agree on that. I have no problems with teams playing up by choice, but only when it make sense geographically. Highlands is not the issue at all. When Highlands moved up, it made sense geographically. I believe that with 6 classes, moving up would have to be based upon geography because teams would take advantage of a "move up if you want to" and try like heck to move away from schools like Highlands. See Johnson Central.

Here is a hypothetical scenario:

Team A is a struggling 2A team with 170 boys currenty in the school. They were classified 2A using numbers that are already four years old when they had 200 boys in the school. The numbers used to classify Team A do not reflect the current enrollment. Current enrollment numbers show that they would be a middle of the pack sized 1A team based upon the numbers. Team A would have a much better opportunity for success in 1A, which based on the current numbers is where they belong.

Conversely, Team B was classified 1A based on the outdated enrollment when they had 180 boys in the school, but currently have 210 boys in the school. The current enrollment would make them a middle of the pack 2A school.

Should team A be forced to play up? Or should they be moved to 1A?

Should Team B be allowed to stay in 1A although current enrollment says they should be in 2A?

In Kentucky, Team A (170 Boys) would be forced to stay in the larger 2A class for 2 more years and while Team B (210 boys) is allowed to stay in in the smaller 1A class for 2 more years.

I know the KHSAA allowed Holmes to move down mid cycle in the prior 4 year classification cycle. So I'd have to think that if Team A had a decrease in enrollment above the percentage set by the KHSAA, Team A could be moved down. Likewise, I'd assume that a school with a large jump in enrollment would be moved up mid cycle but to be honest I don't recall that happening. Perhaps it did. I just don't remember.