The health of Kentucky high school football

All Tell

That is exactly my point. It is now easier to win titles. They win it every year. Before, they did not. Kids flock to that success. No pun intended.

In HHS case it has more to do with platooning than # of classes..Because they still would of one six in a row either way..

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if those two didn't play they wouldn't have won state titles?

Not saying that at all, but it doesn't hurt. Highlands wins titles because of the Ft. Thomas kids. The other kids are just icing on the cake. Wow, again, no pun intended.

They very well may have, but why do they all of the sudden have 90 players and the ability to platoon? Also, I would argue they did not platoon back then because it was tougher to win a title. The best had to play.

I disagree with this. You platoon to wear your opponent down. If a kid is fresh and a little less talented than the kid that plays the whole game. I will take the fresh less talented kid later in the game. Also when all you do is practice on one side of the ball all year you are going to get a lot better over the course of the year. The other kid is splitting time on offense and defense...

They very well may have, but why do they all of the sudden have 90 players and the ability to platoon? Also, I would argue they did not platoon back then because it was tougher to win a title. The best had to play.

There was 110 on one of the teams I played on in the 80's.

I disagree with this. You platoon to wear your opponent down. If a kid is fresh and a little less talented than the kid that plays the whole game. I will take the fresh less talented kid later in the game. Also when all you do is practice on one side of the ball all year you are going to get a lot better over the course of the year. The other kid is splitting time on offense and defense...

We are going to disagree on this. I understand why teams platoon and what you are saying.

My point is this, the more titles you win, the more kids want to play football. Also, the more kids from out of district want to come to your school. The more good players you have, the easier it is to platoon. 6 classes have allowed an easier road to a championship, hence more championships, more kids, and the better ability to platoon.

This is exactly right. Highlands has a starting offensive lineman and starting running back that attended Campbell County Middle School. They pay tuition to go to Highlands. The kids will continue to leave other schools to go to schools that win titles every year. In four classes, it was tougher for the perennial champs not named Trinity to win titles every year.

And provide one of the best educations in the state. They don't come ONLY because they are good in football. If you are a good football player, the education system makes it a very easy decision. Is it a coincidence that almost all of the top programs also are tops in education?

And provide one of the best educations in the state. They don't come ONLY because they are good in football. If you are a good football player, the education system makes it a very easy decision. Is it a coincidence that almost all of the top programs also are tops in education?

The education part is true. I made that point long ago. That is not why football players want to go to Highlands.

We are going to disagree on this. I understand why teams platoon and what you are saying.

My point is this, the more titles you win, the more kids want to play football. Also, the more kids from out of district want to come to your school. The more good players you have, the easier it is to platoon. 6 classes have allowed an easier road to a championship, hence more championships, more kids, and the better ability to platoon.

I agree..

These "soloutions" seem to be changing the surroundings and not the participants. I think that is flawed logic.

Look at Central... a team that for years and years was a bottom dweller. They made a decision to become better and now they are on the list of the teams that make football "unhealthy"! That is a shame and a slap in their face. The models to becomming better teams/programs are out there friends... how bad do you want it?

These "soloutions" seem to be changing the surroundings and not the participants. I think that is flawed logic.

Look at Central... a team that for years and years was a bottom dweller. They made a decision to become better and now they are on the list of the teams that make football "unhealthy"! That is a shame and a slap in their face. The models to becomming better teams/programs are out there friends... how bad do you want it?

I don't think Central makes football in KY unhealthy, but I also don't think Central made some decision to become better that led to their titles. They were a pretty competitive 3A team in 4 classes under Serroti (sp.). They began to win titles because of 6 classes. During the first 4 years of 6 classes they no longer had to beat Highlands, Bell County, Lexington Catholic or Boyle County. The road became easier. Since they are now a perennial title contender, more kids want to go there.

I do think the easier road to a title for the perennial champs makes football in KY unhealthy.

Four classes distribute the teams more evenly. As pointed out by many, it's doubtful that a years final game will be without T or H. But that's always been the case. There hasn't been a team outside of Louisville win a 4A/6A state championship since 1994.

From a No. Kentucky standpoint, in four classes, Class A would be very competitive (Beechwood, NCC, Holy Cross, Walton Verona, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow) and not to mention class 3 and 4 would be tough as well.

So for my solution: We return to a four class system. Make districts larger and allow teams within districts to play in opening two rounds. IMO, before going to compete down state, you have to beat the team right next to you. If your area contains two districts, you play each other in round 3 (Trinity and X- Just ask Ohio, I'm sure They would love it if Cincinnati schools could play one another in state finals). In round four, alternate who you play each year...ie. NKY vs. Central KY, Western Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky or Lexington Area vs. Louisville, NKY vs. Western KY. Last, Move the state finals to Louisville.

I fully understand the KHSAA's position on six classes. But look, it has failed. It has accomplished nothing except, giving H and T several more banners and giving NCC and Central titles. By increasing the district size, teams will then earn playoff spots not be handed to them.

1996, Trinity won in 1994

The education part is true. I made that point long ago. That is not why football players want to go to Highlands.

Not saying that is why the players want to go to highlands, but it sure makes it an easier decision on the parents to either pick up and move or pay the outlandish tuition. And but the way, HHS currently is not accepting any tuition students until further notice. They are at their limit of number of kids they can manage on the education side. It will have zero effect on the football program.

It's been said on here a number of times, but its a great fact. The percentage of kids that transfer/move to go to HHS for education vastly out weighs the number of kids that transfer for football. So take take the stance the HHS is full because they've taken on so many football players! There are 6 girls on the BBall team that pay tuition and 2 of them are in the camp co district. Why did they come to HHS? I'm sure the football program had something to do with it.