Ludlow Coaching Situation?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Borchers, who is this guy? An assistant? Former player at Ludlow? What is his coaching background.

Randy Borchers played at NCC, but he has been an assistant caoch at Ludlow for a while now. I believe that he will be a great head coach and is definitly the right man to take over at Ludlow. :D

Money aside I can think of two (and now with Coach Eckstein at Bellevue) three reasons why anyone at Dayton, Ludlow or Covington Holy Cross might look for greener pastures. :D

I think HC would be a pretty sweet job with new facility and a pretty good talent base with the grade school programs just being in place for a couple years.

It takes time to reach certain levels. Since HC has made its program a district contender it has only lost one game in district outside of NCC and Beechwood. Ludlow one year after they graduated basically their whole team. I think HC will continue to seperate it self from the bottom half and inch closer to the big 2.

I think HC would be a pretty sweet job with new facility and a pretty good talent base with the grade school programs just being in place for a couple years.

It takes time to reach certain levels. Since HC has made its program a district contender it has only lost one game in district outside of NCC and Beechwood. Ludlow one year after they graduated basically their whole team. I think HC will continue to seperate it self from the bottom half and inch closer to the big 2.

HC lost to Bellevue last year. Also the feeder system rule through the Khsaa will affect HC. Could be a good job though.

What about Bellevue last year? :D

In fact how many 3rd places finishes does Holy Cross have in the district without Mr. Strong and Armstrong?

I have nothing but good things to say about Coach Hensley... I wish him the best of luck at Taylor and anywhere else he coaches in his career. I also look forward to see what Borchers could do as Head Coach at Ludlow. There is something special about a coach that will stay with a progam during an 0-32 streak. I believe Coach Chilldress was there then too. I look for Ludlow to take a step up with upped roles from these 2 coaches.

I have nothing but good things to say about Coach Hensley... I wish him the best of luck at Taylor and anywhere else he coaches in his career. I also look forward to see what Borchers could do as Head Coach at Ludlow. There is something special about a coach that will stay with a progam during an 0-32 streak. I believe Coach Chilldress was there then too. I look for Ludlow to take a step up with upped roles from these 2 coaches.

One of the problems with going out and getting a "name" coach for a team not normally in the district picture or state title picture is that they tend to leave sooner than later. And that is even quicker the smaller the school.

Certainly no one can blame a coach for bettering their coaching/teaching/life positions by leaving but sometimes I think schools would be better off being realistic and hiring someone that has been loyal to the school and may not tend to move on so quickly.

One of the problems with going out and getting a "name" coach for a team not normally in the district picture or state title picture is that they tend to leave sooner than later. And that is even quicker the smaller the school.

Certainly no one can blame a coach for bettering their coaching/teaching/life positions by leaving but sometimes I think schools would be better off being realistic and hiring someone that has been loyal to the school and may not tend to move on so quickly.

See Bellevue Basketball program........ bring in Kevin Listerman.... gains the trust of kids, changes the program somewhat and is gone in 1 yr... bring in the other kid from NKU.. shannon something..... he keeps the trust of the kids and runs similar style play as Listerman and he is gone in 1yr.... I played for Swauger back in the 80's and he was in his 12th year......there is something to be said about a coach staying.... One guy that did stick it out and changed the program was Steve Hart... he was at the Grove for 10 yrs and really did wonders with that town, the people and the basketball program... He could have left after his first year.. I know for a fact he was getting offers to go elsewhere and coach football.....that is Loyalty....

Just to throw in my two cents..... I think he left for the money... and the fact that he used Ludlow as a stepping stool to get to the Ohio side of the River. Ludlow is a fine school and good small town program so I cant imagine him leaving for any other reason.

On the Bellevue front, I know they were senior laden and one dimensional but what great Bellevue Team ever wasnt one dimensional???? Power Running game, more sweeps this year with Lincoln Adams but mainly they are a power team. I watched them beat Beechwood at home this year and the Adams kid clearly could run circles around anyone on the Tigers team. Only reason they lost in playoffs is because of Pass Defense and the fact that NCC loaded every man in the box.

It is always a cyclical thing at the small schools due to the fact that enrollment is always up and down. Outside of Beechwood who has the reputation year in and year out and can get the kids that are on the fence to either go to cov cath and NCC who has many of their players living in Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, Dayton, etc.... Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, these schools pull from one area..... their respective cities and that is after many of the better athletes are picked at by the Catholic schools.

I am not surprised NCC won the state championship... nor am I surprised Beechwood is there most yrs.........

Highlands gets a lot of Bellevue's best players, as well as NewCath, and a lot of Ludlow kids go to CovCath. It's tough to compete w/ schools that will get you recognition.

HC lost to Bellevue last year. Also the feeder system rule through the Khsaa will affect HC. Could be a good job though.

If I recall, part of the "feeder system rule" does not pertain to class A schools. Didn't they propose a 20 mile radius for class A private schools to draw from. If that is correct, then 20 miles from HC would reach well into Cincy. NC can still get kids from as far as Falmouth.

If I recall, part of the "feeder system rule" does not pertain to class A schools. Didn't they propose a 20 mile radius for class A private schools to draw from. If that is correct, then 20 miles from HC would reach well into Cincy. NC can still get kids from as far as Falmouth.

No one knows what the final compromise rules will be. The 20 mile radius may only apply to the smaller Class A type schools or it may only apply to Class A schools that do not have a defined feeder system. Both HC and NCC have defined feeder systems. A school like Heritage or Calvary does not.

Ludlow would be a nice fit for Borchers. He knows the program and I am sure the kids have bought into the system. Is he related to Mike Borchers? former coach and I think current Principal??? hmmmmm nepotism...

yes he is

I believe it is schools with less than private schools with less than 350 students per the Courier Journal.