A terrible way to lose a game.

HT721

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard somewhere that there was a rule change in HS after the Murray game to turn off the "auto buzzer" when the clock hits 0:00 for just that reason. Any truth to that rumor?

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure there was a buzzer when my high school's scoreboard was at 0:00. That was ten-ish years after the Beechwood/Murray Championship game.

I heard somewhere that there was a rule change in HS after the Murray game to turn off the "auto buzzer" when the clock hits 0:00 for just that reason. Any truth to that rumor?

I'm pretty sure it's not a "rule", but a "recommendation". I've been to some games where there was a horn, but I have heard the officials say to people to turn the horn off if you can.

You just haaaaaad to mention it, didn't you? :lol: See...it's started already :ohbrother:

I love that they are still talking about it. The difference in that game was that Hergott threw the ball in the air only after the Refs blew the whistle. It wasn't simply the Horn sounding on the Clock. Yes, the Refs shouldn't have blown the whistle, but they did. Simple as that. We will never know what he would have done if they hadn't blown the whistle.

Did they ever claim the Runner-Up trophy?

Someone please describe the Murray game...

Short iPad version...

Close game where beechwood was up by less than a TD. Beechwood had the ball near their own 30 yard line. 4th down with approximately less than 10 seconds left. Hergott was told to take the intentional safety and use up the clock. He took the snap and turned and sprinted for his own endzone. Time expired as he was near the goal line. He crossed the goaline, the refs blew the whistle (incorrectly) and he threw the ball in the air in celebration. The Murray player dove on the ball in the endzone for what they thought was a TD. It was ruled a safety and game over. 15 minutes of ugliness followed and Murray refused to accept the Runnerup trophy. I can still picture the trophy sadly sitting on the turf at Cardinal stadium.

Short iPad version...

Close game where beechwood was up by less than a TD. Beechwood had the ball near their own 30 yard line. 4th down with approximately less than 10 seconds left. Hergott was told to take the intentional safety and use up the clock. He took the snap and turned and sprinted for his own endzone. Time expired as he was near the goal line. He crossed the goaline, the refs blew the whistle (incorrectly) and he threw the ball in the air in celebration. The Murray player dove on the ball in the endzone for what they thought was a TD. It was ruled a safety and game over. 15 minutes of ugliness followed and Murray refused to accept the Runnerup trophy. I can still picture the trophy sadly sitting on the turf at Cardinal stadium.

Wow, I never heard that story. Sounds like that ref is the Steve Bartman of Murray.

Wow, I never heard that story. Sounds like that ref is the Steve Bartman of Murray.

Not really. They didn't take anything away. Nobody knows what Hergott would have done if the Whistle didn't blow. The Whistle blew before he threw it in the air.