A terrible way to lose a game.

HT721

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Murray should have been declared the winner.

Is there anyone with the video of the final play?

So you made the first comment without knowing the details.

The final statement from the refs was there was an inadvertent whistle that ended the play.

There was some news video at the time that confirmed the whistle before the ball being tossed in the air.

here is a link to newspaper article from bowling green.

Daily News - Google News Archive Search

Not that it matter because of the score, but I wonder if Coach Hergott told the freshman punter not to throw the ball in the air when the clock runs out at the end of the freshman championship game Wednesday?

The score was 18-14 Beechwood and Murray turned the ball over on downs at about the 8-yard line. Hergott takes the snap and runs backwards in the end zone until the clock ran out. When the clock hit zero, there was a whistle around the time Hergott tossed the ball into the air in celebration while he was in the end zone. A Murray player (Jon Bell I believe) caught the ball in the end zone. Murray felt like it should have been a touchdown. They were given a safety. Final score was 18-16

Murray should have been declared the winner.

Why?

Yes Why? So Beechwood should have been punished for the "inadvertent" ? The play was blown dead and therefore the game was over before the Murray player even got to the ball. It was quite a few years ago and I can't really remember the details, but do remember talking to local news people and they had a video with sound that they provided to the school. You could clearly hear more than one whistle.

The score was 18-14 Beechwood and Murray turned the ball over on downs at about the 8-yard line. Hergott takes the snap and runs backwards in the end zone until the clock ran out. When the clock hit zero, there was a whistle around the time Hergott tossed the ball into the air in celebration while he was in the end zone. A Murray player (Jon Bell I believe) caught the ball in the end zone. Murray felt like it should have been a touchdown. They were given a safety. Final score was 18-16

So it really doesn't matter if he threw the ball in the air before or after the whistle. The fact that the whistle was blown means the play is over, correct?

I remember it being closer to thirty and not quite the same way, but I trust your memory more than mine. You scenario or mine, the play was blown dead before Murray jumped on the ball. In any case, it was ugly situation and sad for both teams.