Pink uniforms and other causes in sports

leatherneck

Seeing the comment RockPride made in the X and T uni thread, prompted me starting this thread as I didn't want to jack that thread. RockPride posted that he was in support of the pink jerseys and pointed out he lost his Mom a month ago to breast cancer. For that he has my sympathies. But, and I realize this will come across as insensitive and cold to some/many/everyone (but me as I readily accept death as a part of life), I don't think the pink uniforms have any place in sports. I lost my Dad about a year ago to pancreatic cancer. Miss him dearly. But I do not think that any team should wear patches saying "Beat Pancreatic Cancer" anymore than I think Catholic school teams should wear anti abortion decals on their helmets or pink uniforms to create awareness about breast cancer. My brother has Parkinson's but I'd be opposed to Highlands wearing a big P decal on their helmet to bring awareness to the disease or to stimulate Parkinson's research. I'm sorry, but in my opinion we need to keep the "causes" out of sports. There is a place for everything and sports is not the place for causes unrelated to the team or the sport. I can see the day coming when every cause wants their message displayed on uniforms. How do you tell them no, after you've allowed it for breast cancer?

Seeing the comment RockPride made in the X and T uni thread, prompted me starting this thread. RockPride posted that he was in support of the pink jerseys and pointed out he lost his Mom a month ago to breast cancer. For that he has my sympathies. But, and I realize this will come across as insensitive and cold to some/many/everyone (but me as I readily accept death as a part of life), I don't think the pink uniforms have any place in sports. I lost my Dad about a year ago to pancreatic cancer. Miss him dearly. But I do not think that any team should wear patches saying "Beat Pancreatic Cancer" anymore than I think Catholic school teams should wear anti abortion decals on their helmets or pink uniforms to create awareness about breast cancer. My brother has Parkinson's but I'd be opposed to Highlands wearing a big P decal on their helmet to bring awareness to the disease or to stimulate Parkinson's research. I'm sorry, but in my opinion we need to keep the "causes" out of sports. There is a place for everything and sports is not the place for causes unrelated to the team or the sport. I can see the day coming when every cause wants their message displayed on uniforms. How do you tell them no, after you've allowed it for breast cancer?
We have a similar thread to this one in the NFL forum. The breast cancer awareness phenomenon across this country is nothing short of amazing, but (and I do not want to come off as insensitive) it has gone too far to the point of exploitation. You feel as if other diseases and their causes are diminished.

I would actually have no problem with it if I felt like it was truly about "Awareness" I just don't think it is. I don't blame the kids, they are supposed to be individuals, I just don't think we should allow them use this platform to make themselves stand out. Unless, of course, they truly understand the issue and the cause. I would much rather see a more subtle way of raising awareness.

LN I agree with you. I posted this on another message board.

"You know, if all these kids and parents and teams, sent their money to research groups to develop new drugs or find a cure for cancer, or gave their money to people who can't afford their cancer medications, instead of paying 50 and 100 dollars for a bunch of apparel they are only going to wear 1 or 2 times, I think more would be done with the money. Never did understand the whole deal.

***For those of you ready to bash me, I lost all my grandparents to cancer, sat beside my grandmother as she died at the age of 13 of breast cancer none the less, my mother will probably be diagnosed with cancer at some point, and yes I will probably die of cancer myself one day........so you can keep your pie holes closed that I don't know what Im talking about and I am just an insensitive jerk.....I know more about it than most of you can dream. *** "

The most interesting part of LN's post to me is the "where does it stop" question.

I'm all about consistency (see my issue with the Catholic church NOW being interested in religious freedom) and I am 100% sure we would never be consistent. Would we allow teams to promote more AIDS research? Sickle cell? How does a school justify promoting breast cancer but not, as LN mentions, pancreatic cancer or Parkinson's?

I think teams/schools set themselves up for fair criticism by only going all out for one cause.

On a side note: People are becoming numb to breast cancer awareness.

We have a similar thread to this one in the NFL forum. The breast cancer awareness phenomenon across this country is nothing short of amazing, but (and I do not want to come off as insensitive) it has gone too far to the point of exploitation. You feel as if other diseases and their causes are diminished.

Oops. Sorry about that. If you want to move this to that thread, by all means do so.

I understand, and mostly agree with the sentiments above this year alone I watched my mother beat cancer, and have lost several family members to cancer. But i'm not against this. Allow me to put it a little differently:

i wear TOMS shoes. you may be familiar, but they are a canvas slip on shoe that when you purchase a pair, they give a pair to a child in need. the shoes cost about $50 and my mother (and other people who hate them) always tease that i should just give the $50 to an organization that would give more shoes to kids in need. While that isn't a bad thought, something interesting happens when i wear TOMS, people see them, and they ask me about them. it gives me an opportunity to share about TOMS, and get other people interested. Also, i find them comfortable, so i like wearing them, and if i am going to wear $50 shoes, why not buy shoes that do some good at the same time?

that said, it is silly that kids spend extra money for the pink under armour socks, and wrist bands but they were buying them anyway, why not use them to A.) get people thinking about cancer in general, esp. breast cancer. B.) use some of the money to support Susan G Komen or ACS C.) let them feel like they are doing something.

Kids who have lost family members feel like they can honor someone this way. and I for one, am always in favor of kids doing something that isn't completely motivated by just being about them. in their eyes, they're wearing pink to support others, and I for one can not be opposed to that!

Kids who have lost family members feel like they can honor someone this way.

I will not take offense when you say I'm insensitive. I get the emotion behind it. With that said why can't a kid just play really hard and give his all to honor someone? I'm not really big into singling oneself out. Pray for your deceased love one in heaven. Tell them you're still thinking of them and miss them. Bust your butt on the field of competition because that would show how well you were taught.

You don't need a pink sock.

I will not take offense when you say I'm insensitive. I get the emotion behind it. With that said why can't a kid just play really hard and give his all to honor someone? I'm not really big into singling oneself out. Pray for your deceased love one in heaven. Tell them you're still thinking of them and miss them. Bust your butt on the field of competition because that would show how well you were taught.

You don't need a pink sock.

I see your point, but if the majority or even the entire team is doing it, then you arent singling yourself out. I dont disagree with you, but I deal pretty closely with kids who play football, and they couldnt wait til october to do this for their loved ones.

I feel it is a money scam set up by the likes of Nike, Underarmour, Etc to sell the merchandise and keep 90% of profits. Why doesnt a kid or coach just donate money to cancer research or victims, it will do them more good than it will in the NIKE pocket book or NIKE bank account. It shouldnt be limited to just Breast cancer but all diseases.

When we contacted the NFL for clarification, we were told 5% of the sales are being donated to the American Cancer Society. If the pink products have a typical 100% mark-up at retail, that means the NFL is keeping 90% of the profit from the sale of Breast Cancer Awareness gear.

And then consider that only 70.8% of money the ACS receives goes towards research and cancer programs. So, for every $100 in sales of pink gear, only $3.54 is going towards research while the NFL is keeping approximately $45 (based on 100% mark-up).

NFL Raking In Profits With Breast Cancer Awareness Promotion | Sports Media Masters

I believe there are two separate issues, here:

1) Individuals deciding to wear pink. I understand the resistance to that, and I wouldn't allow one player to do it.

2) A team working on a campaign to raise money and/or awareness... I think ANY time you can get a group of young people thinking about themselves as part of a larger world, it is a good thing. I am not sure why some posters seem to indicate there would be a problem with doing this for other diseases (i.e. AIDS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, other forms of cancer, etc.), but I think it would be a great thing. The stated purpose most coaches give for pursuing their vocation is a desire to help young men become better people. I think this type of thing would fit right in with that mission.

I see your point, but if the majority or even the entire team is doing it, then you arent singling yourself out. I dont disagree with you, but I deal pretty closely with kids who play football, and they couldnt wait til october to do this for their loved ones.

The kids' heart is in the right spot. Parents and coaches need to remind them that they should honor them every day through their efforts and actions and not just in October.

If they do it for one game, it is special and has meaning....now its mulitiple weeks and people become numb to the "awareness" part. I think it has tipped over the edge of awareness and now its fashionable or just a cool thing to do.

Do it, but don't let its meaning get diminished.