Unemployment rate at 7.8

acemona

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any addition of manufacturing jobs is a huge plus in my book. If America doesn't do something to increase manufacturing jobs the middle class income average will never go up, IMO.

Agreed although it looks like these jobs will mainly be in information technology.

I saw that & very much like that news.

But I also recall then-candidate Obama with a recurring campaign utterance four years ago--something along the lines of how things are going well for folks on Wall Street but not so much for the folks on Main Street.

The news of record corporate profits and record stock market combined with high unemployment seems to take away from the thought that trickle down works. Those "with" (and God bless them) are increasing their share but those "without" are going the opposite way. That tells me that the concept of "trickle down" does not work today.

The news of record corporate profits and record stock market combined with high unemployment seems to take away from the thought that trickle down works. Those "with" (and God bless them) are increasing their share but those "without" are going the opposite way. That tells me that the concept of "trickle down" does not work today.

It may not.

I was simply pointing out that when the President was running for office a few years ago, he made this statement on a frequent basis--about things going well on Wall Street, but not on Main Street. I don't see how any of that has changed since he assumed office.

It may not.

I was simply pointing out that when the President was running for office a few years ago, he made this statement on a frequent basis--about things going well on Wall Street, but not on Main Street. I don't see how any of that has changed since he assumed office.

It was catchy, organized the community, and sounded good from town to town.

It may not.

Not arguing with you , my man. I just look at those facts as a good argument against "trickle down."

Here's the problem with economics today: Grossly rich people are doing great, and they'll continue to do great, because they have the means to make sure that they don't get hurt, no matter what. The rest of us are just spinning our wheels. Too many people have this wild idea in their head that what's great for the grossly rich is great for everybody else, but decades of foolishness has proven that Jack Kemp's trickle-down economics does next to nothing for the vast majority of the people.

The bold is the problem with living in a mixed-market.

The average CEO pay of companies in the S&P 500 Index rose to $12.94 million in 2011. Overall, the average level of CEO pay in the S&P 500 Index increased 13.9 percent in 2011, following a 22.8 percent increase in CEO pay in 2010.

They are obviously a left-leaning group that would love to cap profits. Something I don't agree with, but it does a good job showing salary trends for corporate CEO's including that of corporations such as General Electric, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Bank of America, JP Morgan, and many others -- all a part of S&P.

Now. This link will show some of the top corporations that lobby in DC.

“There’s a reason that corporations invest in lobbying Congress: they see a return, and it’s good for their bottom line” - —Mary Boyle, Common Cause

lpr1f3.gif

lpr1f5.gif

These corporations often lobby against small business that cripple men and women who wish to start a business. Dodd-Frank for example: Put together by government legislatures and lobbyists involved in banking -- I think its obvious where they came from -- Dodd-Frank instituted thousands of new regulations. The impact this can have on small businesses is it requires a tremendous workload from a company that may only employee a select few. What happens? The employer and workers must dig through them to make sure everything is in compliance. This means they are not doing their work that the business is intended to do: provide their service to the consumer. Due to the cost of man hours and hours lost, your business is now out $25,000. What could be the affect of this? The employer may put this cost on to the consumers and make his prices more expensive so that he can make up the for the lost capital. Is it because he is greedy? He does have employers to pay, bills to pay, equipment to maintain, healthcare plans the company may provide, the list goes on. We are demoralizing small business owners and potential entrepreneurs from the get-go. Its systematically set up for failure.

A bigger bank or other financial institutions have departments dedicated for these types of regulations and paperwork. They can take on the cost.

The Three Tier System in reference to alcohol distribution is another good example.

Our problems derive from our monetary systems structure. Not from people who want to make a buck.

So I am from that group of citizens and I know more who had hoped to or wanted to retire but couldn't for a number of reasons from adult children still living at home due to not being able to find a good paying job, to losing a boat load of savings from their 401K plans making it impossible to retire!

I think if you look at the age group of those that are currently 60 to 65 years of age you won't find many who have retired or think they can retire anytime soon and if you look even deeper you will find many, many of those who are from the age of 65 to 70 working part time jobs to bring in some extra money not for luxuries but working to just to keep their heads above water!

Just curious but what type of work are you into PP2 and you too 2 humped that life is so much better today, than four years ago? I have an idea but will wait until you both tell us what you both do to earn a buck!

I'm a mechanic at Corning Incorporated in Harrodsburg, Ky. I also was elected Union President for Steelworkers Local 1016T in April of this year and will serve through the next election in 2015. I receive a small salary(165.00 a month) for that also. I receive a 3% raise yearly, my healthcare rises every year but it is great healthcare as my entire family is covered along with dental and vision care also. I don't care to pay for it. It's worth it. My yearly take has improved each of the last four years and this year is easily going to be a career high for me. Corning had a huge layoff in 2008. 80 union employees were laid off and 40 company people were let go(pays to be in a union). Over 70 of the union employees returned once the business got better in the following two years. We are now running full strength right now with all of our glass tanks producing glass. Just had 9 new hires start today.

I also moderate on http://www.bluegrasspreps.com on the side. I do that for free because I love the website and enjoy being able to contribute in many different ways.

My life is wayyyyy better than what it was four years ago. Not even close.

What did you think I did since you had an idea of what I do?

My life is wayyyyy better than what it was four years ago. Not even close.

W

If we're using the "better off now than 4 years ago" criteria the Koch brothers must be writing checks to the Obama campaign as it's reported that their wealth went from $32B to $62B .

If we're using the "better off now than 4 years ago" criteria the Koch brothers must be writing checks to the Obama campaign as it's reported that their wealth went from $32B to $62B .

Not sure the criteria. TOG asked me what I did to make me better off than what I was four years ago so I told him. :D

I hope the Koch brothers are taking care of Obama. :D

Not sure the criteria. TOG asked me what I did to make me better off than what I was four years ago so I told him. :D

I hope the Koch brothers are taking care of Obama. :D

Gorilla Glass?

Is it the policy of the government, the product, working relationship of the union and the company?

I will throw this out there. Is Corning being a better capitalist company and investing in its US-based operations?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/opinion/henry-ford-when-capitalists-cared.html?_r=0

Gorilla Glass?

Is it the policy of the government, the product, working relationship of the union and the company?

I will throw this out there. Is Corning being a better capitalist company and investing in its US-based operations?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/opinion/henry-ford-when-capitalists-cared.html?_r=0

Gorilla glass is the result of all three I guess. All three factors are important cogs in the process.

Corning is worldwide company. Numerous plants throughout Asia as well as the US. I can only speak with some certainty about the plant I am at.