Why is Cueto considered a fringe Cy Young candidate?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go strictly by the numbers I'd give it to Kershaw but if you consider the parks they play in it changes how you view people like Cueto, Kershaw, etc. I also completely disagree with the notion that some analysts are taking that because Dickey throws a knuckleball, that makes him that much better than the others. The last time I checked, it doesn't really matter what pitch you throw as long as you (the pitcher) get them out.

If I had to pick, I'd say it should be between Kershaw and Cueto but thats just me.

If you go strictly by the numbers I'd give it to Kershaw but if you consider the parks they play in it changes how you view people like Cueto, Kershaw, etc. I also completely disagree with the notion that some analysts are taking that because Dickey throws a knuckleball, that makes him that much better than the others. The last time I checked, it doesn't really matter what pitch you throw as long as you (the pitcher) get them out.

If I had to pick, I'd say it should be between Kershaw and Cueto but thats just me.

When the other numbers are similar, 13 wins eliminates Kershaw from any consideration by me. Dickey's numbers are very similar to Kershaw's and Dickey has 7 more wins on a clearly inferior team.

If you're going strictly by the numbers, 13-9 doesn't fly. I know some of that is out of his control but it doesn't work when the other guys are 20-6, 21-8, 19-9 and 16-5.

Throw out wins and who has the best numbers? Wins are overrated for a pitcher. See Felix last year.

Disagree. Wins can be looked at similar to BA w/RISP, IMO. One day you can give up 4 and win but another day you need a shutout to win. The elite guys can get it done when necessary. It's not realistic to go out and give up

Throw out wins and who has the best numbers? Wins are overrated for a pitcher. See Felix last year.

If you throw out wins then it is between Kershaw and Dickey with Cueto third. However, since Dickey and Kershaw are so close on their numbers and Dickey has 7 more wins. You have to have some way to pick one...and it won't be home park. And I think you're talking about 2010 with Felix. He had a good, but not great, 3.47 ERA last season.

Disagree. Wins can be looked at similar to BA w/RISP, IMO. One day you can give up 4 and win but another day you need a shutout to win. The elite guys can get it done when necessary. It's not realistic to go out and give up

If you throw out wins then it is between Kershaw and Dickey with Cueto third. However, since Dickey and Kershaw are so close on their numbers and Dickey has 7 more wins. You have to have some way to pick one...and it won't be home park. And I think you're talking about 2010 with Felix. He had a good, but not great, 3.47 ERA last season.

I don't mean to throw it out completely but it would be way down my list determining the winner if I had a vote. Kershaw's numbers are pretty good.

I don't mean to throw it out completely but it would be way down my list determining the winner if I had a vote. Kershaw's numbers are pretty good.

It's down there. But when they're real close it loses it's luster giving it to the guy with significantly less wins/more losses.

Because you're leaving out the ballpark factor.
The only thing we have to go by is the numbers. You can't assume that if Cueto didn't have to pitch so many games in GABP his numbers would be better. As a matter of fact for that to be legit arguement his road numbers would have to be considerably better then his home numbers and they aren't.

The only thing we have to go by is the numbers. You can't assume that if Cueto didn't have to pitch so many games in GABP his numbers would be better. As a matter of fact for that to be legit arguement his road numbers would have to be considerably better then his home numbers and they aren't.
But Dickey's numbers are helped by his home ballpark ... same for Kershaw, to a much more considerable degree.

It's down there. But when they're real close it loses it's luster giving it to the guy with significantly less wins/more losses.
One big reason Dickey has a better record than Cueto ... run support.

The Mets average right at four runs per game ... with Dickey on the mound, it's 4.6

The Reds average 4.15 runs per game ... with Cueto on the mound, it's 3.8.

So ... Dickey has 20 wins, in part to good run support. Cueto has 19 wins with less than average run support.