Denominations

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, for the BGP open minded king, that's a total shock coming from you. Either someone stole your account, or that's about as stereotypical and hypocritical a post as I've seen from you.
It's not stereotypical if it's the truth. Have you NEVER seen a wet/dry vote? Elizabethtown, KY and Hardin County have had numerous ones over the years. EACH AND EVERY time the local churches were rallying their congregation to vote against it, encouraging people to go to the polls and vote to stay dry, funding dry supporters, etc. If you don't believe that then I'm impressed you've been able to post this long with your head in the sand...

I've never seen any other reason for a town/county to be dry other than via mob rules acting on behalf of whatever the dominant local denomination is (and it's almost always Baptist). In almost all cases, prohibition of alcohol was used by the dominant local denomination to make life uncomfortable for whatever minority was within their midst (usually Italians, Irish, Mexicans or Germans, all generally Catholic).
Exactly, look at the region I'm from. LaRue, Hart, Green, Hardin (till VERY recently) are all dry. Nelson and Marion counties have both always been wet. All of the dry counties are overwhelmingly Protestant while the wet counties have a very strong (possibly dominant) Catholic presence. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe it's something else. :idunno:

Exactly, look at the region I'm from. LaRue, Hart, Green, Hardin (till VERY recently) are all dry. Nelson and Marion counties have both always been wet. All of the dry counties are overwhelmingly Protestant while the wet counties have a very strong (possibly dominant) Catholic presence. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe it's something else. :idunno:
It isn't coincidence it is democracy. Catholics are not anti alcohol and Protestant's by and large are. Why is it surprising that a popular vote by the citizens in those counties would fall in line with their beliefs? The citizens of those counties made the choice, and majority rules, correct?

Common sense.

Another non answer. I asked a serious question that apparently no one is able to answer. Why is that?

As I understand the statement, religion was not the primary reason for the objection to alcohol. It was to keep people down instead? I'm simply asking for some examples and details. I get "history" and "common sense" answers instead. Please elaborate.

75, I thought Jim was saying that Protestant religious groups used prohibition to keep the minority "Catholic" groups out of their areas. I thought his point was it was a disguised religious discrimination against the Catholics moreso than a religious conviction to their own beleifs.

It isn't coincidence it is democracy. Catholics are not anti alcohol and Protestant's by and large are.
Spin would probably say this is stereotypical...

Why is it surprising that a popular vote by the citizens in those counties would fall in line with their beliefs? The citizens of those counties made the choice, and majority rules, correct?
I'm not surprised in the least by this. I just said this is a form of their religious beliefs being crammed down the throats of others. But that's exactly why I don't live in a place with no alcohol sales as I'd rather have the freedom to buy alcohol if I so choose to.

Spin would probably say this is stereotypical...

I'm not surprised in the least by this. I just said this is a form of their religious beliefs being crammed down the throats of others. But that's exactly why I don't live in a place with no alcohol sales as I'd rather have the freedom to buy alcohol if I so choose to.

Exercising their right to vote against something that goes against their religious beliefs is not cramming anything down your throat. I think you are being sensational by expressing it that way.

Watusi- thank you, I have never heard of that before, all I have ever heard was about areas being dry based on religious beliefs.
I hadn't heard it expressed before either, but that is the way I interpreted his post. Maybe he can expound on it further for us.

It's not stereotypical if it's the truth. Have you NEVER seen a wet/dry vote? Elizabethtown, KY and Hardin County have had numerous ones over the years. EACH AND EVERY time the local churches were rallying their congregation to vote against it, encouraging people to go to the polls and vote to stay dry, funding dry supporters, etc. If you don't believe that then I'm impressed you've been able to post this long with your head in the sand...
If that's the case, you live in the wrong town. If alcohol is that important to you, move. Not that difficult. But in no manner do I correlate a wet/dry vote as someone stuffing religion down your throat. No shape or form. It's a public vote, I suggest you get your fellows supporters out and rally up enough votes next time to overturn it. If they voted that you had to be in church every Sunday to buy bread, well, then I'd agree that religion was being stuffed down your throat.