Denominations

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how they show up when it's a cause such as "By God, let's keep them queers under wraps."
I hear that every Sunday in Church. We had a Sunday School lesson on that topic. Your cynicism knows no bounds.

Come on Jim. Maybe then the mob will come out to vote against those who support abortion this November. But I doubt it.

Yesterday my cousin invited me to a shootout at his friends house.Shotguns,clay pigeons,good food and fellowship.I had a great time except when the associate pastor from their church was delivering the message on how a man should be a man.He preached that a man with long hair is a sin,He went as far to say that Jesus is not that long haired sissy that we see hanging on the walls of churches and homes.

On the way home I told my cousin that it's people like this that have bumped me off the path of Christ so many times.Not this time,I just asked God to keep me focused on his love,and not the negatives that this man is preaching from his denominational view.

The problem that I see is there are so many Christians today that feel better about being right on what they believe than the personal relationship they have with Christ.

I want to be part of a Church that teaches about Jesus(love and forgiveness)not a Church that focuses on negative laws,such as how long my hair is or how I should dress.

I will say that the last two months since I've rededicated my life to Christ,I have noticed that some preachers are moving away from the negative style of teaching Gods word.

But just as the associate pastor was preaching on how to be a man,he also warned us about these kind of Churches that only preach about love and forgiveness.He said people who go to these kind of Churches just want to tickled and what they preach is shallow.

If that's the case I don't mind walking through swallow waters and laughing my way to heaven,because I know that in my heart if I leave this world today that Jesus has set me up with eternal life...

I'm not sure that is a denominational issue AA, but I hate to hear ministers putting their own personal speculations into a Biblical message. I agree with him about being careful not to try to live on a steady diet of what I call "feel good" messages, because that often leads to a "anything goes" mentality towards salvation, and I think that is dangerous. However, when a minister leads off with condemning people for long hair, and appearance, it is tough to pay any serious attention to anything else he says.

That is why, no matter where we worship, I think it is imperitive that we study God's word for ourselves. I often refer to 2 Tim 2:15 for that reaffirmation. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." No matter how many preachers we listen to, we need to study for ourselves so that we can rightly divide the word of truth and apply it to our own lives. We should not blindly follow any preacher or church, we should be able to discern the word for ouselves and then worship Him in spirit and truth and live accordingly.

AA don't get discouraged when you come across things like this. The evil one will place lots of stumbling blocks in your path. Recognize them for what they are, walk away, and keep to the striaight and narrow path as best you can. And when you can't, repent and ask for forgiveness and then start over in confidence that you have a father that forgives with mercy and grace. Thank God.

I agree that there are denominational issues. I don't really know how they were derived. And frankly, I don't care. I do get tired of Christians all being lumped into something they're not. I call myself a Christian and instantly for some there is a stereotype that carries negative connotation because of the views and values of some that aren't scriptural nor are they Christ-like. I don't claim to be the greatest Christian ambassador and there are many issues I have to overcome, but frankly, I am fed up with the attitudes toward God's Church.

I'm not sure that is a denominational issue AA, but I hate to hear ministers putting their own personal speculations into a Biblical message. I agree with him about being careful not to try to live on a steady diet of what I call "feel good" messages, because that often leads to a "anything goes" mentality towards salvation, and I think that is dangerous. However, when a minister leads off with condemning people for long hair, and appearance, it is tough to pay any serious attention to anything else he says.

That is why, no matter where we worship, I think it is imperitive that we study God's word for ourselves. I often refer to 2 Tim 2:15 for that reaffirmation. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." No matter how many preachers we listen to, we need to study for ourselves so that we can rightly divide the word of truth and apply it to our own lives. We should not blindly follow any preacher or church, we should be able to discern the word for ouselves and then worship Him in spirit and truth and live accordingly.

AA don't get discouraged when you come across things like this. The evil one will place lots of stumbling blocks in your path. Recognize them for what they are, walk away, and keep to the striaight and narrow path as best you can. And when you can't, repent and ask for forgiveness and then start over in confidence that you have a father that forgives with mercy and grace. Thank God.

I believe it is a denominational issue because so many people get their beliefs from biblical doctrine.The problem is how they interpret these doctrines which causes the major divide in Christianity,and what's worse is the divide between people of the same denomination.

For me personally I love the steady diet of feel good messages,because my walk with Christ doesn't begin with the pastor or the bible,it begins with my personal relationship with Christ.I pray multiple times a day and I'm constantly talking to Jesus every second I can.

The relationship that I have with Christ is like having my best friend with me at all times.

With that being said the anything goes mentality just doesn't exist with me,God gave me a conscience and I can feel in my heart what's wrong.

2C thanks for the reply and encouragement.I can tell that you are a true follower of Christ,not a false witness!If I have any questions that I'm not sure about I feel comfortable enough that I can ask you for your opinion.:thumb:God Bless you Brother...