Denominations

If that's the case, you live in the wrong town. If alcohol is that important to you, move. Not that difficult. But in no manner do I correlate a wet/dry vote as someone stuffing religion down your throat. No shape or form. It's a public vote, I suggest you get your fellows supporters out and rally up enough votes next time to overturn it. If they voted that you had to be in church every Sunday to buy bread, well, then I'd agree that religion was being stuffed down your throat.
I don't live there it's just where I was raised. In their vote they are saying that I can't buy alcohol in their community because their religion believes alcohol is sinful...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't live there it's just where I was raised. In their vote they are saying that I can't buy alcohol in their community because their religion believes alcohol is sinful...

Well, kudos to you for getting out of that hellhole. Galbraith would probably carry a similar tune then that religion is being shoved down his throat because he's failed to get marijuana legalized. And several have and would argue that it's less a problem socially than alcohol.

Blaming the church seems convenient, not logical in my opinion. That's the trouble with a democracy, you never know how folks will vote.

Just had a wet/dry vote here in my town two months ago. A few churches took out advertisements on the radio and newspapers encouraging people to vote no. 2C is correct in that it is democracy and I can respect the view of those. Yet it is also an uncomfortable feeling knowing that a lot of those people are judging you because of their religious beliefs.

Whether it is part of their teaching or belief, I believe a lot of us subscribe to George Carlin's 11th commandment, "Thou shall keep thy religion to thyself." Still no Sunday sales here.

Well, kudos to you for getting out of that hellhole. Galbraith would probably carry a similar tune then that religion is being shoved down his throat because he's failed to get marijuana legalized. And several have and would argue that it's less a problem socially than alcohol.

Blaming the church seems convenient, not logical in my opinion. That's the trouble with a democracy, you never know how folks will vote.

You do realize Gatewood passed away, right?

It is what it is in this regard and because of that I choose to live in places that are wet. I'm just stating that religion is the reason for dry counties/cities. Don't see how one argues that. Because of that reason someone's religion is being imposed on others and preventing them from making the choices the majority of U.S. citizens get to make...

You do realize Gatewood passed away, right?

It is what it is in this regard and because of that I choose to live in places that are wet. I'm just stating that religion is the reason for dry counties/cities. Don't see how one argues that. Because of that reason someone's religion is being imposed on others and preventing them from making the choices the majority of U.S. citizens get to make...

I do.

Pushing religion on someone, in my opinion, is when someone from the church constantly drives scripture at you. Shows up uninvited at your home. I just can seem to wrap my head around someone feeling that religion is being pushed on them by a public vote. I think that is a long stretch.

It isn't coincidence it is democracy. Catholics are not anti alcohol and Protestant's by and large are. Why is it surprising that a popular vote by the citizens in those counties would fall in line with their beliefs? The citizens of those counties made the choice, and majority rules, correct?

Agreed but that backs up exactly what FKYW said. The ban is driven by religious beliefs.

I am not disputing that. I disagree with his characterization that it is an example of religion being crammed down his throat

Seems hypersensitive to me.

I'm guessing you guys have always enjoyed being among the majority. Had the shoe been on the other foot, I submit that you would think a lot differently.

I've never seen any other reason for a town/county to be dry other than via mob rules acting on behalf of whatever the dominant local denomination is (and it's almost always Baptist). In almost all cases, prohibition of alcohol was used by the dominant local denomination to make life uncomfortable for whatever minority was within their midst (usually Italians, Irish, Mexicans or Germans, all generally Catholic).

What do you base that statement on?

Fair cop — I exaggerated in a moment of frenzy. That bolded part should be "in some cases." While almost all cases of alcohol prohibition was brought about by religious beliefs, I think that not always, but in many cases in history there was a desire on the part of WASPs to stick it to the newer immigrants — most of whom came from Catholic countries — who flooded this country from the 1870s on, in an effort to change their culture.

I'm guessing you guys have always enjoyed being among the majority. Had the shoe been on the other foot, I submit that you would think a lot differently.
Fair thought but in my case I don't think so. My entire life I have lived in a part of Pike County that is dry. Although I don't drink now, I used to drink beer and did so from my late teens through my 20s. It never has bothered me that I lived in a dry county (except Pikeville is wet). If it is something I absolutely can't live with, then I can always move to another town, etc. or I can take steps to try and get it changed. I have that freedom and that right.

If we want to be American citizens, then we had better be able to accept the concept of majority rules. It is the backbone of our system of government.

Abe Lincoln said "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this Earth". If it is good enough for Abe, it's good enough for me. :D

Fair thought but in my case I don't think so. My entire life I have lived in a part of Pike County that is dry. Although I don't drink now, I used to drink beer and did so from my late teens through my 20s. It never has bothered me that I lived in a dry county (except Pikeville is wet). If it is something I absolutely can't live with, then I can always move to another town, etc. or I can take steps to try and get it changed. I have that freedom and that right.

If we want to be American citizens, then we had better be able to accept the concept of majority rules. It is the backbone of our system of government.

Abe Lincoln said "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this Earth". If it is good enough for Abe, it's good enough for me. :D

By the same token, it is fortunate that our country is not entirely operated on a mob (majority) rules platform, because if it was we'd have deported all Mexicans and Muslims and Jim Crow would be alive and well.