Church can't feed high school football team

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was just feeding the team I would be okay with that but from the article it appears it is deeper than that and the Coach in question has an agenda.

Agreed. I am cool with the meal. Once we start talking citing scripture then the group is right.

From the article.....(They are demanding the school system launch an investigation into allegations that Coach Mariakis allowed local churches to prepare pre-game meals for his football team. They also allege that the coach prayed with his team, used Bible verses in motivational speeches and on team shirts and participated in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

“Taking public school football teams to church, even for a meal, is unconstitutional,” wrote FFRF attorney Andrew Seidel. “This program is an egregious violation of the Establishment Clause and must cease immediately.”)

I have two comments:

1. FFRF, why don't you worry about the crap that goes on in your own state of Wisconson and leave the crap going on in Georgia to those in Georgia.

2. My high school coach, was our asst Principal, Pastor at a local church (not my church or my religion for that matter), youth director at local church, Sponsor of FCA at school, led voluntary pray every morning at the flag pole in front of school half hour before school started for those that wanted to attend, blessed every team meal, post game meal, pregame pray, post practice pray and gave the pray at graduation every year.........I bet they would have had a super cow about him, and they can take their super cow and stick it straight up their moo shaft.

PLANTMANKY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESSAGE

I have dealt with FFRF legally several times with Bardstown. They have a tendency to be high on hot air and low on follow-through. Their M.O. is to make blustery, long-winded statements and letters with lots of legal citation to cases that have absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand, and then follow-up with a call to the media making grandiose legal threats about how everything is a "blatant violation" of the U.S. Constitution, when in fact it is not. The schools reaction, that they were "studying" the issue, was perfect. Behind the scenes, the team merely needs to make this "student-led, student-initiated," and the law protects it, as does it protect the coach's membership in FCA and his private saying of grace before meals. If a player doesn't want to attend at the invitation of the team captain's, he need not attend. What FFRF, and their ilk, frequently (and conveniently) forget is that the government can neither advance nor inhibit religion. This case might get some legal play from FFRF now that it is national news, because they really like to get front-page material for their website to help with fundraising.

Agreed. I am cool with the meal. Once we start talking citing scripture then the group is right.

Would you have a problem if they start talking citing lines from movies to motivate his team? Isn't David vs. Goliath just as good motivation as Rocky II?

From the article.....(They are demanding the school system launch an investigation into allegations that Coach Mariakis allowed local churches to prepare pre-game meals for his football team. They also allege that the coach prayed with his team, used Bible verses in motivational speeches and on team shirts and participated in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

“Taking public school football teams to church, even for a meal, is unconstitutional,” wrote FFRF attorney Andrew Seidel. “This program is an egregious violation of the Establishment Clause and must cease immediately.”)

I have two comments:

1. FFRF, why don't you worry about the crap that goes on in your own state of Wisconson and leave the crap going on in Georgia to those in Georgia.

2. My high school coach, was our asst Principal, Pastor at a local church (not my church or my religion for that matter), youth director at local church, Sponsor of FCA at school, led voluntary pray every morning at the flag pole in front of school half hour before school started for those that wanted to attend, blessed every team meal, post game meal, pregame pray, post practice pray and gave the pray at graduation every year.........I bet they would have had a super cow about him, and they can take their super cow and stick it straight up their moo shaft.

PLANTMANKY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESSAGE

What if your coach was Muslim?