Church can't feed high school football team

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you what happened when I was there. Like I said above. Lots of different reactions when we prayed. It wasn't mandatory.

But your attendance was mandatory and you can't shut your ears like you can your eyes. You may not want your kid hearing about sex education at school because he should learn that at home, I don't want my kid learning YOUR religion at school.

To be honest I never hear of atheists trying to get rid of Islam, Judaism, etc, just Christianity. I am guessing that those religious groups wont bow down to them like Christians have and our elected leaders are also afraid for some reason to make htem mad.

I dont think FKW pushes his beliefs, he may express them but has never condemed me for mine.

The atheists don't have to try to get rid of them, the Christian are doing that work for them - every hear of the crusades or Bosnia?

This whole thread makes me thankful that I had the ability to send my kids to Catholic schools.

I am glad that you have that opportunity, and I am very glad that I don't have to.

If you (general) want your kid to pray before games, send them to LCA, LexCath, Trinity, St. X, TFCA, CovCath, Bluegrass Baptist, whatever.

Here would be my pre-game prayer, if I am coaching your son, are you okay with it.

Father God, Allah, Yaweh. God of Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael, creator of all things including all religions and all people - please help us to remember how small this game is in our life and the participation is meant to be fun and healthy. While we call athletics a struggle help us to remember that there are those who struggle much more than us. Help us to remember our Gay friends the bullying that they receive daily from some athletes and people like us. Help us to learn to love as you have unconditionally. Help us to remember our friends who are poor and that it is part of our responsibility to be constantly open to helping them whether it be through the donations that we give or the taxes that we paid on the nice shoes that we are wearing. Help us to remember our muslim and jewish friends and know that their quest for you is as legitimate as Christians, that I need to be open to a relationship with them and to have dialogue with them and that they have every right to practice and pursue their religion and their search for you as I do. Forgive me when I forget these things and try to oppress and suppress their growth. Please let us also be mindful of all of the students who have other struggles, our friends who have gotten pregnant. We know that they have tough decisions to make, but we trust that you will be with them as they make those choices and that you are with them in their struggles with the consequences of those decisions. Help us Lord to be loving and kind to all we meet and to be open to a strong, healthy relationship with them regardless of their socio-economic status, their religious creed or their color. Help me to constantly live my life with a helping hand extended and remember always what you have told us in Matthew 25 and that whatever I do to people, however I treat them, I must remember that is how that I am treating you.

In this particular game, help us to compete to the best of our ability and as true sportsmen. Understanding that it is not our job to show anyone up, but to play my best and celebrate and reflect appropriately.

Amin, Ameen and Amen.

Now go rip their heads off.

Have the courts ruled that a football coach can't use scripture as motivation, or put scripture on T-Shirts? I honestly don't know. I know what the courts have rules as far as teaching in the classroom, or a teacher or administrator leading prayer in school. Does that ruling cover a football coach at a team meal? When I played football we said the Lord's Prayer in the locker room before every game. Was that going against a court ruling?

In the Third Circuit, it would be.

Before this thread I didn't even know who they were.

Do they represent your beliefs? Not being sarcastic or anything, just wondering now that you've heard of them, do you agree with how they operate and what they're trying to accomplish?

Do they represent your beliefs? Not being sarcastic or anything, just wondering now that you've heard of them, do you agree with how they operate and what they're trying to accomplish?

So everybody on here is okay with my pre-game prayer and the beliefs conveyed therein?

So everybody on here is okay with my pre-game prayer and the beliefs conveyed therein?

If your the coach, knock yourself out, I don't have a problem with it. If any high school kid is going to be swayed to a different way of thinking (religiously speaking) because of what a coach says, then as parents we have not done a good job of teaching our own faith/religion to our kids. IMO.

• 2 weeks later...