Church can't feed high school football team

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a booster is leading prayer on the field or in the lockerroom then I say he/she is a rep of the school.

Again, why do we need an adult to lead a prayer? Isn't that forcing the kid or pressuring a kid to pray?

I don't see how an adult praying over the player's safety is forcing or pressuring a kid to do anything.

If a coach says "get on your knees - it's time for the Lord's Prayer" the kid feels compelled ie forced.

That's not how prayer was for us in school. It's not currently how it is at my son's school. If that's the way it is happening, maybe I'd agree. The coach simply said, "Let's pray". Some stood, some knelt, some didn't say a thing, some recited the prayer with him. Some stood there with their eyes wide open while others did not. Nothing was remotely forced. I never felt forced.

That's not how prayer was for us in school. It's not currently how it is at my son's school. If that's the way it is happening, maybe I'd agree. The coach simply said, "Let's pray". Some stood, some knelt, some didn't say a thing, some recited the prayer with him. Some stood there with their eyes wide open while others did not. Nothing was remotely forced. I never felt forced.

"Let's Pray" from the head coach is what the courts have based much of their rulings on. No question some kids feel compelled to pray when the head coach says to.

Why shouldn't a booster be in the locker to say a prayer?

A booster should never be in the lockerroom for any reason. Period. Any coach who allows that is setting himself up for problems.

In regards to this particular issue here's how it becomes a problem and illegal IMO.

This Friday Booster Bob comes in and leads a Christian prayer.

Next Friday Booster Mohammed wants to come in and lead the team in a Muslim prayer. Coach says no.

Next Friday Booster FormerKyWrestler wants to come in and lead the team in a conversation about why they should not follow any religion. Coach says no.

See the problem and the illegality?

A booster should never be in the lockerroom for any reason. Period. Any coach who allows that is setting himself up for problems.

In regards to this particular issue here's how it becomes a problem and illegal IMO.

This Friday Booster Bob comes in and leads a Christian prayer.

Next Friday Booster Mohammed wants to come in and lead the team in a Muslim prayer. Coach says no.

Next Friday Booster FormerKyWrestler wants to come in and lead the team in a conversation about why they should not follow any religion. Coach says no.

See the problem and the illegality?

Clyde I have to admit I've never seen a Christian be so adamant against prayer. Would you consider yourself lukewarm?

Clyde I have to admit I've never seen a Christian be so adamant against prayer. Would you consider yourself lukewarm?

Unlike some I can separate my faith and public education issues. No need for prayer in a public school. Ever.

Your comment above shows me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to my position on prayer.

And you didn't respond to my post as to why it's a bad idea to have boosters in the lockerroom.

If it's any help I'm a big supporter of prayer so I find myself often having issues with people who want to pray for "traditions" sake rather than for God's. (As I often find much of public prayer becomes)

Unlike some I can separate my faith and public education issues. No need for prayer in a public school. Ever.

Your comment above shows me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to my position on prayer.

And you didn't respond to my post as to why it's a bad idea to have boosters in the lockerroom.

See that's the difference in me, and you. I don't separate my faith and my beliefs with anything. You're post(s) shows me all I need to know about your position on prayer. If I'm a coach I pray for my prayers before the game until they tell me I'm no longer the coach. I don't concern myself with the legal ramifications. Did Daniel worry about the legal ramifications? Did Paul? Did Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego?

See that's the difference in me, and you. I don't separate my faith and my beliefs with anything. You're post(s) shows me all I need to know about your position on prayer. If I'm a coach I pray for my prayers before the game until they tell me I'm no longer the coach. I don't concern myself with the legal ramifications. Did Daniel worry about the legal ramifications? Did Paul? Did Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego?

So you would lead the students in prayer each morning if you were the teacher? Would you hang a cross in the entrance to the school if you were the principal? You do believe, right?

And you still haven't responded to why boosters in the lockerrom are a problem.

P.S. You have no damn clue as to my faith at all. It's pure arrogance to believe otherwise.