Best Freshman and Sophmores in NKY

I do think this is a difference between Willie and Dale. Willie is not going to try and convince someone to play basketball. Period. Dale on the other hand will definitely do so. And each has good justification for doing so. Dale is definitely not going to try and convince a football player to play basketball, because I don't think Willie wants to risk making a time and space investment in a kid for a couple of years just to have the kid later quit basketball to concentrate on football. And that makes sense for Willie. Dale on the other hand, knowing that football is and will be king at Highlands, figures once the kid comes out, if the kid is good, he will likely continue playing football. Also, because you can carry a bunch of players on the football team, Dale oesn't have the same problems as Willie does, in other words, Dale doesn't have to cut a kid in order to keep the kid who was walking the halls, gives it a shot for a year or two and then quits. And because of Dale's emphasis on playing a bunch of players, he's generally able to keep a lot of kids happy. Basketball doesn't have the same luxury. There are only so many chairs on the side and if Willie cuts a dedicated, but not quite as talented basketball player to provide a spot for someone he had to beg to come out and that kid later quits, Willie might not be able to get the dedicated basketball player to again come out and even if he can, the player will have lost some valuable playing experience. My guess is that Willie is going to try and build the basketball program around kids that he feels are dedicated to basketball; that doesn't mean he won't let kids who also play football be on the team, but if he has any concerns about whether the kid may decide later to concentrate on football, that kid better be head and shoulders better than the basketball only player or he won't make the team.

I agree.... :thumb:

Willie has had success at Brossart and sees the difference in having combination athletes and athletes that soley want to play basketball. I think focusing on the kids that really want to play basketball is key if he wants to develop the program from the top down. There is enough talent in the Ft. thomas schools where he can do this. As far as asking those kids to try out.... I highly doubt it also. I think it is what it is. Those boys know when the first practice is, typically there is a meeting prior so if they don't show up to the meeting there may be a "hey, where is Cecil and Simon" but I am sure Willie knew way before it got to that point. So, is it really worth it to try and convince those guys. If Vories or Tanner don't attend the meeting, then I can see Willie scouring the halls looking for answers......

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.... :thumb:

Willie has had success at Brossart and sees the difference in having combination athletes and athletes that soley want to play basketball. I think focusing on the kids that really want to play basketball is key if he wants to develop the program from the top down. There is enough talent in the Ft. thomas schools where he can do this. As far as asking those kids to try out.... I highly doubt it also. I think it is what it is. Those boys know when the first practice is, typically there is a meeting prior so if they don't show up to the meeting there may be a "hey, where is Cecil and Simon" but I am sure Willie knew way before it got to that point. So, is it really worth it to try and convince those guys. If Vories or Tanner don't attend the meeting, then I can see Willie scouring the halls looking for answers......

I do want to clarify a couple of points. In my prior post in the second line, the second reference to "Dale" should have read "Willie".

Also, while I understand what I think may be Willie's philosophy (who knows whether it is or is not actually his philosophy; I am merely assuming that such may be the way he is thinking) to not want to beg football players to play basketball (due to an understandable fear that they may eventually quit the basketball program to focus on football, thus leaving Willie high and dry), I do think that such a philosophy may bite him on the tail end every now and then. There will be primarily football players like Guidugli that bring something to the table for Willie and if he develops too much of a "I want basketball only players" Willie will be losing out on a lot of talent in the long run. Its in Willie's best interest to work with the football program. He's a smart fellow and I'm sure he has already figured that out though.

Kids are not asked to try out for teams in high school. They either tryout or they don't. I can tell you that Willie is not going to walk through the halls begging kids to tryout for basketball.

Willie took a group of players to Fla. last summer to play in tournaments and participate in camp. Part of the group included were about 6 sophs to be. Since there were about 12 kids on the freshman team, how did they arrive with those 6? I beleve they were "asked". And what kind of message does that send to the ones not invited? Willie missed on a couple from that that class. He will realize that next year.

malachicrunch, I think we all agree that it would be better for the highlands basketball program to work together with the football program. When a coach, and I'm not saying Willie is thinking this way, starts labeling a kid as a football player at an early age...7th/8th grade they are going to miss out on good players. I think the coaches do more of the weeding out than the players themselves!!! A kid is not going to stick with a sport if he makes the team and rarely get a chance to play!!!

Willie took a group of players to Fla. last summer to play in tournaments and participate in camp. Part of the group included were about 6 sophs to be. Since there were about 12 kids on the freshman team, how did they arrive with those 6? I beleve they were "asked". And what kind of message does that send to the ones not invited? Willie missed on a couple from that that class. He will realize that next year.

Why take all 12???? you take the kids that you predict to be starters on the JV team....that is just the breaks.....I am assuming that the kids that didnt get invited were the next 6 as far as talent and playing time. I would suggest to those kids to go out and make themselves better over the summer and offseason and be one of the kids chosen next summer.

Why take all 12???? you take the kids that you predict to be starters on the JV team....that is just the breaks.....I am assuming that the kids that didnt get invited were the next 6 as far as talent and playing time. I would suggest to those kids to go out and make themselves better over the summer and offseason and be one of the kids chosen next summer.

If I am not one of the "chosen" and I have other irons in the fire, I forget about basketball and move on. A definite message was sent and the kids got it. I do not think Willie had to cut a soph this year. All well in good if these are the players that will carry you for the next 2 years.

If I am not one of the "chosen" and I have other irons in the fire, I forget about basketball and move on. A definite message was sent and the kids got it. I do not think Willie had to cut a soph this year. All well in good if these are the players that will carry you for the next 2 years.

oh, so the kids that didnt get invited to the Fla trip got salty and didnt come out? Well, that makes some sense but only if the kids have Football to fall back on.

Luke Maille - Cov Cath. - strong all-around game

.)

BTW, look for Luke's best sport to be baseball. I'm sure he will get a solid look at playing varsity as a FROSH. For the record, that doesn't happen very often at CCH (Bleser, Grogan, Beecham are the few I know of). He is an excellent catcher and hitter.

Those six kids that were not invited as you say, were they in the gym over the summer when the other kids were there? Tell me exactly who they missed out on. Who said that Willie is determining what kids will play for him when they are in the 7th and 8th grade? Willie is going to look at each and every kid that wants to show up for open gyms in the summer and tries out for the team in the fall. If he was so against football players then why is Ben G. in the starting lineup and Hurtt, Stein, Ball and Wise sitting on the bench. Why did Derek Smith and Jared Lorenzen start and play on a 3 time regional champ when Willie was an assistant? Why did Gino play and lead the team to a title his senior year? I will tell you why, because they wanted to play basketball and were good enough to do it despite what might have been whispered in their other ear that they needed to hit the weights to get ready for the next football season. Both of these sports can exist at a very high level at Highlands if the parents/community would just let the coaches do just that and encourage these kids that do not try out to work hard during their respective offseasons and come out and make these coaches take notice of them whether it is football, basketball, baseball, golf, etc.

oh, so the kids that didnt get invited to the Fla trip got salty and didnt come out? Well, that makes some sense but only if the kids have Football to fall back on.

I wouldn't call it salty. I think for them, the hand writing was on the wall. I know one is on the golf team and a couple play baseball. I just think maybe one or two given the opportunity could have helped the program a couple of years down the road. Until this year I have found it very difficult to enjoy Highlands basketball. I would like to see more success year in and year out. Hopefully Willie has the answers.

'Stang...wasn't "labelling" the kids per se...just evaluating what has been demonstrated to this point in time. Heck, I hope I'm wrong and 8 freshman are still playing 3 years from now. When was the last time a kid who wasn't a starter in grade school was playing as a senior at HHS?

How can you rely on 8th and 9th graders for Boys Varsity Basketball? Besides Simons isn't even in the program. Only 2 players on your list have any varsity time whatsoever. Including to your theory of 3 per grade, you only carry 12-13 player for JV and varsity? Coach Shields carried an avg. of 6 per grade. Thats 18 players for the 2 teams. None were freshman and only one or two select sophs dressed varsity games. Due to physical difference between an 18 year senior and a 14 or 15 year old on average it is absurd to think year in and year out you look at 8th graders and freshman to help your program next year.

'Crunch...I was just "bird-dogging" (IMHO) the talent in the classes. Obviously there have to be fill-ins of older boys...but who?? The days of Kenny Shields (and his era) are over at HHS. No longer do you see that many kids still involved. There used to be 2 separate practices simultaneously, a reserve practice at one end, varsity at the other. Then toward the end of the practice there would be full court scrimmage between the two. On game day, most of the JV team hit the stands after the "reserve" game, as you stated. Now the entire team dresses varsity??? This year's Jr. class is thin, which means Soph and Frosh will be "heavy" next year. I look for Simons to return next year. (year off will re-kindle the passion for hoops). They will need his scoring ability. The problem is, if football runs deep as is predicted, the FB players suffer from a burn-out...that lasts about 2 weeks. I bet you Drew misses playing!

PS. qryche11... that 1st grader @ Woodfill is going to Moeller. Dad's mad that a FB player will get minutes ahead of him this year! :banana:

BTW, look for Luke's best sport to be baseball. I'm sure he will get a solid look at playing varsity as a FROSH. For the record, that doesn't happen very often at CCH (Bleser, Grogan, Beecham are the few I know of). He is an excellent catcher and hitter.

The Sainola boy excels at baseball (also, his best sport) and that is why he's at CCHS. The Maile boy's Dad and Ryan's Mom know each other from way back and they played summer ball together. Dis any one say that "R-word" ???? :banana:

I do want to clarify a couple of points. In my prior post in the second line, the second reference to "Dale" should have read "Willie".

Also, while I understand what I think may be Willie's philosophy (who knows whether it is or is not actually his philosophy; I am merely assuming that such may be the way he is thinking) to not want to beg football players to play basketball (due to an understandable fear that they may eventually quit the basketball program to focus on football, thus leaving Willie high and dry), I do think that such a philosophy may bite him on the tail end every now and then. There will be primarily football players like Guidugli that bring something to the table for Willie and if he develops too much of a "I want basketball only players" Willie will be losing out on a lot of talent in the long run. Its in Willie's best interest to work with the football program. He's a smart fellow and I'm sure he has already figured that out though.

Kenny Shields found out that the old Catholic school mentality of "I only want BB players" just isn't feasible at HHS and have success consistently. Only so many atheletes at the school and FB definitely is the straw stirring the drink. But that doesn't mean that BB can't coexist and prosper...you just have to be willing to bend a bit as a BB coach. (ask Bill Petty what it was like to coach under the Duffy regime....makes Willie -Dale look like Siamese twins!!)