Best Freshman and Sophmores in NKY

I've seen Ryle's freshman team and really was surprised on there size. Very big. But I wasn't impressed that much. The big men inside were just that, big. They had a really nice guard on the freshman squad who could really shoot. I'm guessing thats Helmer?

Josh Lamping starts inside with Kurt Russell. Lamping is decent now and will only improve. Russell sometimes doesn't impress; he's not flashy. But at the end of the game you find that he has good numbers in points and rebounds. Keep in mind the list I posted was selection for a team, with complimentary skills being important. I've seen Russell many times with the NKy. Roar AAU team and he can play with all of the big boys in the state.

It probably was Steve Helmer. He is the real deal. Sometimes overlooked on this team is Andy Ahern, who runs the point. He, too, can hurt you from the outside.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good group of Sophmores at Campbell Co including Jon Verst, Andy Franzen, Ryan Eten, Jordan Parks and Brian Sauerbeck who all get varsity minutes. Watch out for Andy Franzen a real scrapper, great speed and a nose for the ball. Andy scored 26 points in the JV game against Pendleton Co most of them by beating the defense down the floor. As someone said...you can't teach speed.

There is a good group of Sophmores at Campbell Co including Jon Verst, Andy Franzen, Ryan Eten, Jordan Parks and Brian Sauerbeck who all get varsity minutes. Watch out for Andy Franzen a real scrapper, great speed and a nose for the ball. Andy scored 26 points in the JV game against Pendleton Co most of them by beating the defense down the floor. As someone said...you can't teach speed.

Couldn't agree more. The Camels sophmore class is the most talented class to go through Campbell Co. in a long, long time. With returning juniors Kenny Walker and Noah Dischar and an excellent freshman class as well, coach Reitz should be expecting great things in the next few years. If freshman John Michael Reitz of Harrison Co. joins his father at Campbell Co., that gives the Camels one more quick guard who can hit from outside.

Tyler Baker- Calvary. You will know him if you play them in Varsity.

Tyler is quick, jumps out of his shoes, and can pull up and shoot from anywhere. He scored at least 35 of Calvary's 47 points against Campbell Co. Too bad he's not still a Camel. He was with Campbell Co. through the eighth grade before playing on "scholarship" his freshman season at Community Christian Academy in Independence. Transferred to Calvary Christian as a sophmore.

Sophs in order if you count Mason County in N. KY

1. Miller

2. Henderson

3. Simpson

4. Grimes

5. Kendall

6. Krohman

7. Bogle

8. Bondick

Overall - not the strongest class

Does number 6 Krohman have any relation to the former Simon Kenton great?

Another Nky Post player Lambert from Pendleton averages 18 PPG and 20 PPG playing against Matt Coffman which they have met 3 times this season.

Doug Lambert is a very good player for Pendleton, pretty much their whole team. He scored 12 points in the first of three lopsided losses to the Camels. Not sure what he scored in Friday and Saturday games, could have been 20 each game, I don't know. Campbell Co. bench played a lot of minutes in all three games as starters established quick 20+ point leads. Yesterday's game started out with a 20-2 Camel run. Again, Lambert is a very good player, but your facts aren't entirely accurate and are very misleading. To say he is 50% of Pendleton's offense and that he scored against a variety of Camel players (Coffman included) would better reflect what really happened.

(Didn't mean to offend anyone with my initial list. Of course there are some really good players that didn't make my top ten. It is just my opinion after seeing current freshmen in school and AAU games over the last few years. Other very knowledgeable people would surely have different opinions.)

He had 23 in there first meetin.

It's his nephew.

Neerfan, I have seen SK's freshman play a few times and they seem to be pretty good. They held Dixie to 5 points the whole second half last night. Have you been able to catch them? Any thoughts?

I def think the kid from holmes is one of the better. Mcfarland from boone has potential but not has a point . i think he will be a great 3 4 in a couple years. he's still young and has allot to learn. CCHS has some talented young kids and so does Highlands.

I agree. McFarland is a good player, but I think he is out of position at point.