"Legitimate Rape Rarely Produces Pregnancy"

Clyde

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I don't believe he has clarified what he meant by "legitimate," my guess is that he meant "forcible" rape as opposed to other forms of rape. Redefining rape has been an issue in recent years. Akin himself supported an eventually failed attempt by the House to redefine rape as only rape if violent force was used. It would seem, then, that non-violent rapes aren't categorized as "legitimate" rape in many eyes.

I want to go back to something Hearsay said earlier, if I may digress. While I agree with him that often women use the "rape" cry when there was never, in fact, a rape, I can't shake the feeling MY experience has lent me that there is a terrible trend that a woman has to prove she was raped, rather than her alleged rapist proving he didn't. Now, I do know these things 100%...for every woman who falsely accuses rape, there is at LEAST one that has never reported a rape. And some of my deepest acrimony exists for women who falsely accuse rape. Not only because of the harm they do their 'attacker', but for the harm they do to the system..ie a woman who is indeed raped, is looked at with skepticism, and the whole process often feels like she's on trial, instead of the other way around. This exact circumstance is often why many women who have legitimately been raped never report it...especially in the case of "familiar' or "domestic" rape.

I want to go back to something Hearsay said earlier, if I may digress. While I agree with him that often women use the "rape" cry when there was never, in fact, a rape, I can't shake the feeling MY experience has lent me that there is a terrible trend that a woman has to prove she was raped, rather than her alleged rapist proving he didn't. Now, I do know these things 100%...for every woman who falsely accuses rape, there is at LEAST one that has never reported a rape. And some of my deepest acrimony exists for women who falsely accuse rape. Not only because of the harm they do their 'attacker', but for the harm they do to the system..ie a woman who is indeed raped, is looked at with skepticism, and the whole process often feels like she's on trial, instead of the other way around. This exact circumstance is often why many women who have legitimately been raped never report it...especially in the case of "familiar' or "domestic" rape.
Just to be clear are saying that someone accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent?

Just to be clear are saying that someone accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent?

No. I'm saying that a woman shouldn't have to have ever single act of her life paraded out as proof that she in some way "got what was coming to her". I'm saying that attacking the woman's character as a way of discrediting her, used as a defense is unacceptable. If a woman alleges rape, here entire sexual life will be examined, disected and then shredded. Often women who are raped and choose to report it are not even taken seriously by the person to whom the report it. Unless the woman is in the hospital, and clear physical evidence exists, the person taking the report is skeptical. A woman can win her case, but be left without a shred of dignity or privacy. Why would a woman choose to put herself and her family through such an ordeal?

Truer words have never been spoken.

No. I'm saying that a woman shouldn't have to have ever single act of her life paraded out as proof that she in some way "got what was coming to her". I'm saying that attacking the woman's character as a way of discrediting her, used as a defense is unacceptable. If a woman alleges rape, here entire sexual life will be examined, disected and then shredded. Often women who are raped and choose to report it are not even taken seriously by the person to whom the report it. Unless the woman is in the hospital, and clear physical evidence exists, the person taking the report is skeptical. A woman can win her case, but be left without a shred of dignity or privacy. Why would a woman choose to put herself and her family through such an ordeal?

You have to have pretty strong evidence of prior instances of consensual sexual contact with the attacker to overcome the Rape Shield laws, so this is not always the case. And the flip side is also true, that a Defendant is acquitted of a charge against him, but in the meantime has lost his job, his family, his dignity. Had it happen to a few clients. That is why your earlier statement is so true, about women whom abuse the system and make false claims, are the worst offenders of all and have really put the whole system in turmoil. Also there is no doubt that a great many actual rapes are never reported.

A good friend of mine is an anti-abortion speaker. Here is a picture of her son, whom she conceived through rape.

I've been on the road all day so I haven't read through this thread entirely.

However, THIS post is exactly what I was going to comment on.

We often hear "I'm against abortion UNLESS it's as a result of rape." I've struggled with that logic.

People are against abortion because they believe that it is ending a life . Some say it's murder.

If that's the belief how can the "unless it's as a result of rape" make sense? Are you saying the fetus that is aborted is a lesser human than the alternative?

Surely not.

Actually, that is what I meant. If we are going to hold drunk drivers accountable for their crimes committed regardless of the mental state produced by their intoxication, then it is a two-way street with "victims." The law, above all, must be consistent. If you get drunk and have sex (typically with another drunk), I don't believe you get to come back the next day and argue that your drunkenness made it "non-consensual," and neither do most juries.

Why would I need to ask Rockmom?

Rape:

noun 1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

verb

to force to have sexual intercourse.

You obviously think about sex, and sexual acts a lot as evidenced by the threads you start.

If you're asking if I think about sex the answer is absolutely. Quite often. Daily. Maybe hourly. Always when I'm around my wife.

2 things to point out about my post.

1. It was lacking in context as I typed it heading out the door for the day. I apologize for that.

2. While you can cite a definition that incorporates "sexual intercourse" in NO WAY is it sex. It's not a sexual act.

I'd ask all of those in the thread who label Catholics' beliefs in a derogatory manner to take a step back. It doesn't matter what you think of it. It's not your religion.

Hit your Google key and look it up and learn a bit about it. You'll learn that we're not praying TO Mary. We also believe differently in what happens to those that pass before us.

Regardless, the ridicule is unbecoming and stifles any good debate and education.

I'd ask all of those in the thread who label Catholics' beliefs in a derogatory manner to take a step back. It doesn't matter what you think of it. It's not your religion.

Hit your Google key and look it up and learn a bit about it. You'll learn that we're not praying TO Mary. We also believe differently in what happens to those that pass before us.

Regardless, the ridicule is unbecoming and stifles any good debate and education.

Read on, that's exactly what we are trying to do. The ridicule wasn't intended from me anyway.