"Legitimate Rape Rarely Produces Pregnancy"

Clyde

I guess that I always like to be the fly in the ointment, but I've listened to the clip several times and the inflection in his voice to me merely seems to imply that "if it REALLY IS a rape," that yada, yada, yada. In other words, if its a rape and not a woman claiming rape after having had consensual sex. I don't think he was using the words "legitimate" and "rape" conjunctively. Now, as to "doctors" saying that the body can shut that down, that seems pretty far-fetched to me, but I don't think he was in any way suggesting there is such a thing as "legitimate rape."

The real question posed is trying to ask a politician who is opposed to abortion if there are circumstances or exceptions by which he would concede abortion should be allowed. I wish a politician would have the cahones simple to answer "no," and then on this tough issue simply say that we are going to value the life of a child over even the horrific circumstances in which the child was created, and leave it at that.

You said that about 500 times better than I did :D

:thumb:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good friend of mine is an anti-abortion speaker. Here is a picture of her son, whom she conceived through rape.

That's a great picture. Obviously her body didn't get the memo that it was a rape and shut down, thank God!

You mean the "drawbridge" mechanism? It's common knowledge that when a woman is violated against her will that within her is the drawbridge that retracts the fallopian tubes and ovaries and shuts them down for business.

Never heard of it. Does that mean he's right in his thought process if not in how he said it?

I'm amazed most of the fuss of this issue is the over the words 'legitimate rape' and not the words that 'the woman's body shuts down during rape and doesn't allow a pregnancy to occur.'

Like Spin said, that may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Especially from an elected official.

Most of the reactions I've read have been fairly split on the rape-detecting uterus and the "legitimate" rape angles, if not favoring the former. I don't think it's been overlooked.

Never heard of it. Does that mean he's right in his thought process if not in how he said it?

I think that is what he was trying to say. To me he was inferring that some studies out there may support that. Who knows? Seems far-fetched to me, but the human body is strange.

First, let me caution you to scrutinize anything you read on the internet (reminds me of the commercial of the blonde who says "they can't put it on the internet if it's not true" "where'd you hear that?", "the internet") with regards to medical research.

For instance, I found only one article in the New England Journal of Medicine (very reliable and credible resource, medically speaking) that had anything to do with the probability of pregnancy after an alleged rape. They had theorized that perhaps it was enzymatically altered. There was a consideration for hormonal issues and changes during the cycle. In the end, their conclusion was simply that there is not greater probability of pregnancy or miscarriage after alleged rape than any other. I tried to link the stupid article and something is up with my computer. I can't link a thing. I don't know if it's a setting or not.

I know you were joking, but this guy did not appear to be. That is who I was talking about.

Sorry, I thought you understood me to be serious. I can't post too many consecutively that are serious. Wouldn't be in my nature.

As a female with an (dare I say) EXPERT knowledge of the female reproductive system, I'll just testify that one can get pregnant if raped, if willingly having sex, having sex the first time, if on the pill, if using any other sort of contraception, if 60 and not yet in menopause, and (in some cases) without actually having sex. There is no "shut down" of the female reproductive system until she becomes infertile. The only variables are whether 1) whether she is ovulating at the time of the act 2)whether the sperm fertilizes the egg and/or 3)the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall. From there, carrying the baby to term depends on many other factors, some not fully explained, but including one's physical reaction to stress or trauma and any damage that may have occurred to the woman's uterus, cervix, etc. There is some degree of fact + luck in getting pregnant. But none of the facts are that the woman's body reacts to the "kind" of sex she had. I can find plenty of evidence supporting pregnancy as a result of rape. I can find none directly relating a female body's ability to "decide" whether a pregnancy will result based upon the "kind" of sex that occurred.

As a female with an (dare I say) EXPERT knowledge of the female reproductive system, I'll just testify that one can get pregnant if raped, if willingly having sex, having sex the first time, if on the pill, if using any other sort of contraception, if 60 and not yet in menopause, and (in some cases) without actually having sex. There is no "shut down" of the female reproductive system until she becomes infertile. The only variables are whether 1) whether she is ovulating at the time of the act 2)whether the sperm fertilizes the egg and/or 3)the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall. From there, carrying the baby to term depends on many other factors, some not fully explained, but including one's physical reaction to stress or trauma and any damage that may have occurred to the woman's uterus, cervix, etc. There is some degree of fact + luck in getting pregnant. But none of the facts are that the woman's body reacts to the "kind" of sex she had. I can find plenty of evidence supporting pregnancy as a result of rape. I can find none directly relating a female body's ability to "decide" whether a pregnancy will result based upon the "kind" of sex that occurred.

So, you didn't buy my drawbridge explanation?