What Does The 2013 Version of the Cincinnati Reds Look Like?

I think I'd dangle Homer and prospects for the right guy. I trust Walt.

I would too but I don't think that's getting anyone like Latos. This team is where they are because of the farm system. I want to win now but not at the expense of the future. It's already slim pickings in the minors.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would too but I don't think that's getting anyone like Latos. This team is where they are because of the farm system. I want to win now but not at the expense of the future. It's already slim pickings in the minors.
If you subtract the ages of the dinosaurs that Dusty loves, the staff is young, the biggest part of your core is young. I agree with you to a point, but if you can get a guy that makes you have 3 studs in the rotation (I'm also not saying Chapman isn't one of those if the cards fall right) then you roll with it. As they are currently configured, the major pieces are in place to have a 3-4 year run at the top.

So what makes anyone think they would take their "best starter" and start him next year since they didn't last year?

For the reasons I just said, this year the only reason they put him in the bullpen was because of all the injuries in the bullpen. If they find someone who they would want to close or say sign Broxton and Madson back then yes they will give him that chance. As everyone on here has tried to tell you the top guys want him to start, Chapman wants to start. Add to the fact that Chapman did nothing to show that he couldn't start in spring training, and actually was the best starter in spring training. Shows that yes there is plenty of reason to start him next year. Injuries is the only reason why he did not start this year.

I think he'll have a 4-man with Homer.

If they go with a 4 man, then Leake needs to be the guy not Homer. I know Leake just got shelled last night, however based on the teams they will see in the playoffs I like Leake much better. Not to mention I don't trust Homer to mentally be able to handle pitching in big games like that. Leake I believe is much tougher mentally and could handle that situation better. It might not be a problem anyways because they may just use a 3 man, but if they go 4 then it needs to be Leake IMO.

Not weak. Ever been in a clubhouse? Ever talked to a professional about their opinion? Ever heard why Larkin was so ticked at McKeon when he was playing? I don't believe you have to play to be a good manager but it takes a whole hell of a lot to garner the respect of your players if you haven't played. Fact.

If a person knows baseball and shows them that yes they know what they are doing, then the respect will be earned. Also if a managers way is working even if a player doesn't like that style, respect still will end up being earned. Also horrible thing using McKeon because McKeon was a good manager and the Reds were stupid for getting rid of him. They actually were putting good teams together under him and the way he managed. I don't care if Larkin liked the way he managed or not, he was doing a good job. However Larkin got his way and what happened? we went through all kinds of bad managers after him, and got to see Mckeon then go get a World Series.

Which gets back to what you said. You said you trust Dusty's opinion on Chapman more than Walt? Which gets back to the fact that just because Dusty played, doesn't mean he knows what is best for the team. Walt was hired because his job is to do whats best for this organization. So I trust that guy to do what is best for this organization now and into the future.

If a person knows baseball and shows them that yes they know what they are doing, then the respect will be earned. Also if a managers way is working even if a player doesn't like that style, respect still will end up being earned. Also horrible thing using McKeon because McKeon was a good manager and the Reds were stupid for getting rid of him. They actually were putting good teams together under him and the way he managed. I don't care if Larkin liked the way he managed or not, he was doing a good job. However Larkin got his way and what happened? we went through all kinds of bad managers after him, and got to see Mckeon then go get a World Series.

Which gets back to what you said. You said you trust Dusty's opinion on Chapman more than Walt? Which gets back to the fact that just because Dusty played, doesn't mean he knows what is best for the team. Walt was hired because his job is to do whats best for this organization. So I trust that guy to do what is best for this organization now and into the future.

But not the manager? haha Okay.

If they go with a 4 man, then Leake needs to be the guy not Homer. I know Leake just got shelled last night, however based on the teams they will see in the playoffs I like Leake much better. Not to mention I don't trust Homer to mentally be able to handle pitching in big games like that. Leake I believe is much tougher mentally and could handle that situation better. It might not be a problem anyways because they may just use a 3 man, but if they go 4 then it needs to be Leake IMO.

Totally disagree. Homer has been more consistent than Leake this year, and has pitched much better when he's on. What has Leake done to make you think he would be able to handle a big game mentally better than Bailey would?

Totally disagree. Homer has been more consistent than Leake this year, and has pitched much better when he's on. What has Leake done to make you think he would be able to handle a big game mentally better than Bailey would?
Homer has went over 200 innings in a season before, Leake was shut down last year at 135?, (I believe), if that means anything:idunno:

I don't remember who it was, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but whoever stated that Homer hadn't pitched over 200 innings before because minor league numbers don't count. Well over the last week, both Bryan Price and Jeff Brantley have scoffed at that kind of thinking.

I don't remember who it was, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but whoever stated that Homer hadn't pitched over 200 innings before because minor league numbers don't count. Well over the last week, both Bryan Price and Jeff Brantley have scoffed at that kind of thinking.
Price said Bailey pitched over 200 innings in 2009, but he had to have been counting minor league innings to have come to that figure

For the whole season Homer has an ERA of 4.11 Leake has an ERA of 4.59. Mike Leake had a horrible start to the season and had 3 bad starts in his first 4 starts. Ever since his first four starts of the season his ERA has been 4.47 and Homers being 4.79. Homer Bailey in two of the last three months including this month will have an ERA over 6. Since the very beginning of the season Leake has been more consistent, and better as of later besides this Philly series obviously haha.

Leake also has a better WHIP for the year than Homer, Leake has given up less hits, less homeruns, and less walks than Homer for the season. I don't know where to find it, but I would be willing to say that Leake has produced more groundballs for double plays too. The only two areas Homer has Leake beat in is strikeouts which he has 18 more than Leake, and in ERA for the year. Which as I have shown Leake since the first month has been better and as of late. Now also throw in the fact that Leake could also help the offense at the plate during the game that is another plus. Also didn't Leake pitch in the college world series? I am not sure if Homer has pitched in a true big game since high school.

Is that enough reasoning for why I would take Leake over Homer if they had to use a 4th? :D I mean they are close in every area and neither one blows away the other, and hopefully they can only use a 3 man. However if they have to use a 4th I would still take Leake over Homer.

For the whole season Homer has an ERA of 4.11 Leake has an ERA of 4.59. Mike Leake had a horrible start to the season and had 3 bad starts in his first 4 starts. Ever since his first four starts of the season his ERA has been 4.47 and Homers being 4.79. Homer Bailey in two of the last three months including this month will have an ERA over 6. Since the very beginning of the season Leake has been more consistent, and better as of later besides this Philly series obviously haha.

Leake also has a better WHIP for the year than Homer, Leake has given up less hits, less homeruns, and less walks than Homer for the season. I don't know where to find it, but I would be willing to say that Leake has produced more groundballs for double plays too. The only two areas Homer has Leake beat in is strikeouts which he has 18 more than Leake, and in ERA for the year. Which as I have shown Leake since the first month has been better and as of late. Now also throw in the fact that Leake could also help the offense at the plate during the game that is another plus. Also didn't Leake pitch in the college world series? I am not sure if Homer has pitched in a true big game since high school.

Is that enough reasoning for why I would take Leake over Homer if they had to use a 4th? :D I mean they are close in every area and neither one blows away the other, and hopefully they can only use a 3 man. However if they have to use a 4th I would still take Leake over Homer.

Quit posting lies. :lol::lol: