What Does The 2013 Version of the Cincinnati Reds Look Like?

I know it's still August but everyone likes to look at the makeup of the team and wonder what it will look like next year. With Ludwick's 2 month run up in average from .201 to .273 and his 2 month total of 17 HRs and 40 RBIs can he be the 4 hitter that the Reds have so dearly needed in order to move Phillips back to the leadoff spot? Is it finally time to cut bait with soon to be 28 year old Drew Stubbs? Stubbs has cut down on his strikeouts some over last year's numbers but his obp. is now under .300 and his average has declined each year since 2009. He is on pace to hit .230 with 19 HRs and 50 RBIs and steal 38 bases. Is that enough promise to continue to roll with him in the everyday lineup? Has Xavier Paul shown enough in his limited time with the club to make Stubbs expendable in trade discussions? Will Mesoraco get the chance to be the # 1 backstop and be given the bulk of the games over Ryan Hanigan who while he continues to get on base at a good clip just doesn't drive in runs. He is on pace to drive in only 17 runs for the season and Meso is on pace for 19 in 125 less ABs. Surely the Reds won't continue to see Rolen as the everyday third baseman even if he elects to not retire after the season. His contract is up and given his health issues this should be his last year at least with this team.

Do the Reds try to trade Homer Bailey while his contract is still attractive? He has 2 more arbitration years before he is eligible for free agency and just can't seem to pitch well in GASP. A team in a pitcher friendly ballpark like say SD may be interested. Does Chapman continue to be the closer or do the Reds take the chance with moving him into the rotation? Do they have a closer in Madson if he is able to bounce back from the elbow injury and be ready to start the 2013 season? That is considering that the mutual option the Reds have on Madson is exercised and they want to keep him. Do they look at Broxton as a possibility for closer? He is a free agent at the end of the year.

Here is my lineup for 2013 what's yours?

Phillips 2B

Cozart SS

Votto 1B

Ludwick LF

Bruce RF

Frazier 3B

Stubbs CF (possibly even Heisey or Paul or a platoon of the 2), if the Reds elect to try to trade Stubbs

Mesoraco C

Bench

Hanigan

Heisey or Paul

???

???

???

Rotation

Cueto

Latos

Arroyo

Leake

Chapman

Bullpen

Marshall

Arredondo

Bray

Massett

Hoover / Ondrusek

Simon

Lecure

Madson ??

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy the season you are having. Don't worry about next year, unless you are a cub fan.

The season will be over before you know it. Let's hope it ends with a very positive note but I for one would like to hear others thoughts on what they think the team will look like.

The season will be over before you know it. Let's hope it ends with a very positive note but I for one would like to hear others thoughts on what they think the team will look like.
I would like to see them get a Number 1 left-handed starter and another left-handed bat(Kotsay), but I don't see them making any moves whatsoever. I think Walt and Dusty both love Stubbs, they're hoping Hamilton will eventually be their centerfielder and lead-off of the future. I don't think they will mess with pitching whatsoever, unless they package Bailey and another pitcher(Ondrusek,Simon, Broxton?) for a lefthanded starter somewhere

I would like to see them get a Number 1 left-handed starter and another left-handed bat(Kotsay), but I don't see them making any moves whatsoever. I think Walt and Dusty both love Stubbs, they're hoping Hamilton will eventually be their centerfielder and lead-off of the future. I don't think they will mess with pitching whatsoever, unless they package Bailey and another pitcher(Ondrusek,Simon, Broxton?) for a lefthanded starter somewhere

So all you want is a #1 left handed starter? They are a dime dozen afterall.

So all you want is a #1 left handed starter? They are a dime dozen afterall.
Should have said any left-handed starter, they would probably have to give up a Bruce or Philips for a Number 1, they may have a Number 1 in Chapman if they ever decide to go that way though

Save this post for 3 months from now. I'm not even going to begin to worry about this yet.
It's come to this because there is nothing else to talk about for THIS season, at least until the post season. The pitching is perfect, hitting is perfect,fielding is perfect, coaching is............, wouldn't you agree?

Save this post for 3 months from now. I'm not even going to begin to worry about this yet.

You don't have to comment but let others comment if they choose. There are a lot of dumb threads out there that I could care less about but I don't comment on them.

Well, in an attempt not to skew this magnificent thread, I have a question:

I'm not asking what you would do personally, I'm asking what do you think the Reds will do?

Chapman, spring training as a starter? As the foregone closer? Which do you think they'll do?

Well, in an attempt not to skew this magnificent thread, I have a question:

I'm not asking what you would do personally, I'm asking what do you think the Reds will do?

Chapman, spring training as a starter? As the foregone closer? Which do you think they'll do?

I think Chapman is THE closer next year and they may try and package Bailey with Ondrusek or Simon or Broxton for a decent left-handed starter. Does anyone have a list of left-handed starters the Reds could legit go after and get for next season? Is there a lefty in Triple A that could be ready?