What Does The 2013 Version of the Cincinnati Reds Look Like?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would dig being a 20 game winner and leading the league is strikeouts as well.

I don't disagree. But surely you can't deny the energy each time he's out there in the ninth. You know he feeds off of it and feels it. No way he gets that as a starter.

I don't disagree. But surely you can't deny the energy each time he's out there in the ninth. You know he feeds off of it and feels it. No way he gets that as a starter.

The energy is there, no doubt about it. Just because it's fun, neat, and gives everyone a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't mean he should stay in that spot. Watching him hit triple digits is very exciting but if he is guy that can win 15 games the Reds are missing out on a huge opportunity IMO. Just imagine Cueto, Latos, Chapman in a playoff series. Good luck.

IMO, he won't do as well with only a fastball and 5 sliders per game. There's a reason Pittsburgh has looked better against him than anyone else, they have seen him more. If he can't throw his slider more consistently or develop a third pitch, they will hit him.

Eventually MLB hitters will catch up to the fastball.

The energy is there, no doubt about it. Just because it's fun, neat, and gives everyone a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't mean he should stay in that spot. Watching him hit triple digits is very exciting but if he is guy that can win 15 games the Reds are missing out on a huge opportunity IMO. Just imagine Cueto, Latos, Chapman in a playoff series. Good luck.

Or because they have the second best record in baseball because of their starting pitching AND him being closer. Yeah, that's pretty warm and fuzzy.

Or because they have the second best record in baseball because of their starting pitching AND him being closer. Yeah, that's pretty warm and fuzzy.

No reason to believe Marshall (Or someone else next year) couldn't handle the closer role. The drop off wouldn't be that significant and what he could do as a starter in terms of wins could more than make up for it. It's just a lot prettier when Chapman closes games.

Marshall is 9 of 12 - 75%

Chapman is 29 of 33 - 88%

A good number of closers have a better Save % than Chapman. It's just more fun to watch him do it and that's the main concern for some it seems.

No reason to believe Marshall (Or someone else next year) couldn't handle the closer role. The drop off wouldn't be that significant and what he could do as a starter in terms of wins could more than make up for it. It's just a lot prettier when Chapman closes games.

Marshall is 9 of 12 - 75%

Chapman is 29 of 33 - 88%

A good number of closers have a better Save % than Chapman. It's just more fun to watch him do it and that's the main concern for some it seems.

There's definitely a psychological advantage having Chapman as closer. He is feared MUCH more than Marshall, or anyone else in the MLB, for that matter.

If you don't think Walt will have a say in whether or not Chapman is kept in the pen or a starter next year, this is a pointless exercise.

I never said that I don't think he'll have a say in it. I just don't think he should, or any GM, for that matter.